Switch from glock to 1911

This is a discussion on Switch from glock to 1911 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello I just wanted to know if any one has recently switched from carrying a glock to 1911"s? I have carried a weapon for a ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hello
    I just wanted to know if any one has recently switched from carrying a glock to 1911"s?
    I have carried a weapon for a lot of years and many different models and cal's.
    I have carried glocks and felt very comfortable and confident for a number of years that they would take care of business if needed.
    A short time ago I decided I would start to carry a 1911, at first I couldn't get confident with a 1911 like I was with glocks and kept going back to glock.
    Now I like to change my carry guns every couple months and I changed to a glock and want to go back to my SpringerTRP 1911.
    Is there any one out there that has run into some of the same kind of a situation?
    I shoot every gun I carry very well (without bragging) so that has nothing to do with being confident in the gun. My son tells me it's just because I'm getting old.

It's kind of ashamed to let guns become safe queens and I can't carry all of them at once. I think it's a bad Idea to sell guns. besides there again my son wouldn't let that happen. damn Kid.

Distinguished Member Array phreddy's Avatar
    I think the main thing to be concerned anout with switching cary guns, is your muscle memory. When you are actually in a situation, you need your muscles to be so familiar with the gun you are carrying that you don't hesitate to flip off the safety on your 1991. If you just stoped carrying the glock, you might forget the safety in the heat of the moment.

Agreed. ^^

As well natural point of aim at the hand changes firearm to firearm even amongst 1911s that have different thickness grips and mainspring housings.Never mind the big deal difference in trigger pull between that of the a DA and a 191s SA type.
    Going from SA to DA trigger pull is more difficult to get ones mind around than the reverse though.

I carry three completely different make and model type 1911s across two lengths and tow different chamberings (.45 and 9MM).
    But all three are setup in grip, MSH, and trigger exactly same even as they each have completely different sights.

Mix n' match your shirts and shoes but not your life preservation tools.
    One man, one gun format, one manual of arms, one common reliable result.

$0.02 Street

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

I have been carrying guns for a lot of years and I really don't have a problem with the mechanics of the safeties or the trigger pulls when I switch from one format to another.

Distinguished Member Array phreddy's Avatar
    From what I have read, it is not the mechanics, but being able to go on auto-pilot during a defensive situation.

Quote Originally Posted by phreddy View Post
    From what I have read, it is not the mechanics, but being able to go on auto-pilot during a defensive situation.
    I hear ya. After 25 yrs of teaching hands on and firearm useage in a LE setting my Auto -Pilot is on 24/7.

VIP Member
    I, personally, would not switch between two such different manuals of arms in my carry guns. There is absolutely no practical reason to switch from a platform that you are confident and capable with just to "mix it up," IMO. Doing so every few months, for no other reason than "I feel like it," seems like folly to me.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

I thank you for your replies but I must not of explained my original post well enough. I have always carried platforms of many other than 1911's but now the 1911's have grown on me and it's hard to go back to some of my old platforms. not for any other reason than the fact that for some reason a person Questions the weapon itself. It's funny because I have convinced many to have confidence in their tools for yrs.
    Again Thanks

I recently made the switch from an XD sub to a 1911, so it's kinda like switching from a Glock. I went through lots of practice on drawing and hitting that safety, but I have to say, I am very confident now in my ability to use the 1911. With time, patience and practice, anything can be learned. to limit yourself simply because you are afraid you won't pick up the basics seems to be underestimating yourself. I carried my xd as me edc while I was learning and practicing with my 1911, and had no troubles with the transition, when the time came. Now I am much happier carrying my defender than I was carrying my xd.

As far as reliability of a 1911 vs a Glock, well it's all relative. Some 1911's work flawlessly, some take some work to run properly, some never run at all. Enough rounds downrange and I am very comfortable with my 1911. I have a Glock 19 that I can carry if I wanted to, but I love and trust my defender just as much as i trust my Glock.
    Remember, no matter where you go, there you are.

VIP Member
    You may very well be correct. I was looking at this line, in particular, when I responded:
    Now I like to change my carry guns every couple months and I changed to a glock and want to go back to my SpringerTRP 1911.
    If you aren't changing platforms, that please disregard everything I said... :)
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Distinguished Member Array tinkerinWstuff's Avatar
    "Run for your life from the man who tells you that money is evil. That sentence is the leper's bell of an approaching looter. So long as men live together on earth and need means to deal with one another-their only substitute, if they abandon money, is the muzzle of a gun."

Who is John Galt?

There are two guns that I enjoy carrying, a Glock-36, and a Kimber Ultra CDP II...I go back and forth between the two.

Two different platforms...different safety systems, different grip angles...different weights, but I feel comfortable with either.
    For some reason, when I grab the Kimber, the safety automatically goes off without me thinking about it. When I grab the Glock, my finger is not searching for the safety. It just happens.

For a short distance (3-20 feet) in a WalMart parking lot, I'd feel comfortable with either. I'm not a cop, I don't assist James Bond on weekends, I just want to be left alone.
    Do I feel comfortable drawing either with adrenaline pumping? Yes!

Stay armed...practice...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

although I agree in principal with opfor ,I recently started to carry two different platforms , a colt defender 1911 and a sig p229 , I,m getting more prolific in my shooting with the sig every week and feel very confident in using either weapon if the situation should arise
    EDC's Colt Defender 45 acp and S&W 442 .38
    Springfield XD 45 acp
    Ruger SR9
    Ruger Super RedHawk .44 mag
    mossberg 590 12 gauge tactical
    bushmaster AR15-M4

VIP Member
    Prolific or proficient? Not that the two are mutually exclusive, of course...

I understand the allure of using all the guns (or at least many of them) as carry guns - why else have them, right? I just know that I have failed to do things like draw properly after changing holsters (even after much practice with the new holster) or perform mag changes when using my P230 or "insert screw up with "different" piece of equipment here." I'm just not willing to make that (admittedly potential) mistake with my carry pistol. Again, though, and as always - IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by tinkerinWstuff View Post
    Thats a good thread I'm reading it now.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links