642 laser grip ?

This is a discussion on 642 laser grip ? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Anyone have the CT lasergrips on their 642? I am looking at upgrading my 642 and want to know thoughts on the LG-205 v. the ...

Thread: 642 laser grip ?

642 laser grip ?

Anyone have the CT lasergrips on their 642? I am looking at upgrading my 642 and want to know thoughts on the LG-205 v. the LG-305

LG-205
    LG-305

I use the 642 in a pocket, so am thinking the LG-205 (looks similar form factor) as opposed to the LG-305 (looks taller).

Any thoughts from anyone w/ experience in either model?

2. Remove Ads

LG-205 is better for pocket or ankle carry....I carry 642 on ankle with LG-205's.
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Bellino
    LG-205 is better for pocket or ankle carry....I carry 642 on ankle with LG-205's.
    Is the laser always on when you grasp the revolver? Can you relax your finger so as to only actuate the light when you want?

Thanks

XD9
    I carry the 642 with the -305 grips as my primary carry when my kids aren't with me.

Quote Originally Posted by sojourner
    Is the laser always on when you grasp the revolver? Can you relax your finger so as to only actuate the light when you want?
    The answer is yes. The laser button is very easy to use. It sits right under your middle finger when you grip the gun and a slight shift in pressure will turn it off and on. The -305 model also has a toggle switch to keep it off.

When I bought the gun, the counter man said that the battery life is about 4 hours. That's a very long time at 10 second intervals.

The -305 has never given me issues with size.
    There are 2 sounds in the world that strike more fear than any others. A click when you should hear a bang and a bang when you should hear a click.

Assistant Administrator
    My SP-101 grips are all but same as those for 642 - and the master switch is at base of grips, inset. I keep mine on all time for carry - which means that as soon as a normal grip is aquired they will be on, as the pressure switch will be depressed with middle finger.

Relaxing the grip to switch light off does on that pattern require quite a lot of grip relaxation... for me anyways - in fact imagine while holding the gun - flipping the bird LOL!. This is because on mine the switch is to right of center and so the contact area of middle finger is fairly close to base (first phalange).
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Thanks for the replies. I'm hoping Jim will reply w/ his experiences on the 205. As far as I can tell, the 205 does not have the master switch.

Again, thanks.

Distinguished Member Array snowdoctor's Avatar
    I often carry my 642 with the 305 grip when I want deep concealment. I really like them. I went with the 305 because of the shut off switch, and I have big hands so the overmolded grip is nice. I would recommend the 305. ONe point, after using them for 8+ months, I never use the firearm without the laser one, so I think you could save some money, and buy the 205. I hope you are shopping on the net for a good price, they are out there. just google crimson trace.
    ----DOC-----

--people ask why I carry, and I show them this picture. I think it says it all.--

NRA Certified Instructor--many disciplines

Quote Originally Posted by sojourner
    Thanks for the replies. I'm hoping Jim will reply w/ his experiences on the 205. As far as I can tell, the 205 does not have the master switch.

Again, thanks.
    I don't find the need for a master switch.....a little practice and you will find you can control it on/off just by relaxing grip a little.
    Also, CTC is coming out with LG-405's in May, which will be an upgraded, overmolded boot grip similar to LG-205's in size but rubbery and I think it will have a master off/on switch. MSRP will be $299.00.
    CTC has a forum at WWW.FORUMS.CRIMSONTRACE.COM
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Bellino
    I don't find the need for a master switch.....a little practice and you will find you can control it on/off just by relaxing grip a little.
    Also, CTC is coming out with LG-405's in May, which will be an upgraded, overmolded boot grip similar to LG-205's in size but rubbery and I think it will have a master off/on switch. MSRP will be $299.00.
    CTC has a forum at WWW.FORUMS.CRIMSONTRACE.COM
    Thanks for the reply. I am looking for the size of the 205, but that I can have the ability to engage/disengage the laser light. Looks like the 405 would be nice, but approx. $100 nicer. Not sure for me.

Thanks for all the replies. I'll be shopping the net for price on a 205.

I carry my 442 with the LG-205. I have also had other J-frames with the 305; the 205 is definitely best for concealed carry. As others have said - no problem controlling the on/off by just finger pressure. The 305 has a rubbery (clingy) surface; I haven't seen the 405 in person yet, but I suspect it's the same. I believe the 205 production has been discontinued, so if you find one, you better grab it.

maybe its just me and maybe I just haven't taught myself how to use them correctly...but I'm starting to believe laser grips are over rated...

My experience similar to the others...

The 205s are small and better for deep cover or pocket carry. Also much more difficult to shoot with -- small and hard.

The 305s are soft, easy to hold onto, but quite a bit larger in form. The 305s have an off switch, the 205s don't.

I don't think the 205s are discontinued.
    DDGator (Duane)
    www.RealWorldCarryGear.com

I was going to order the 205's. Then the post about the 405's. I am going to sleep on it and probably will just order the 205's tomorrow.

Thanks all.

CT is offering Free batteries for life right now. Check there forums for details.
    Crookcatchr

Theres no such thing as owning to many guns.

Senior Member Array Super Trucker's Avatar
    I had both (205 and 305) on a 642, I sold the 205 due to it being rough on the hands while shooting. The 305 feels much better after 100 rounds. I have since sold the 642 and now have a 649 with just stock grips.

Links