Going to look at a Glock 19

This is a discussion on Going to look at a Glock 19 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Going to take a ride to the local gun dealer this week and look at a Glock 19. They have one in stock and a ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Going to look at a Glock 19

Going to take a ride to the local gun dealer this week and look at a Glock 19. They have one in stock and a range gun I can shoot. They usually have free ammo you can run through, 5 rounds I think or you can shoot as much ammo as you buy. I was looking at other offering to get a pistol that was thinner but I will have to see how this feels in my hands and in carry situation. $510 seems reasonable for a reliable firearm. I was also looking at the G26 but I would have to put a pinky rest on the clip and I think the technical data showed the pistol slide is only about .5 inches less than the G19. The only other polymer I have been looking at is the Springfield Armory XDM-9. It felt better in my hand when I looket at it before. But I will have to reserve judgment until I shoot them.

Senior Member Array highvoltage's Avatar
    That's a very good price. I have both a G19 (that I bought MANY years ago) and a G26 that I recently purchased. Both are fantastic weapons, they shoot very smoothly and are extremely accurate.

I had no trouble getting used to the trigger since the G19 was the my first pistol, I had previously owned only revolvers.

Good luck with your decision.

Distinguished Member Array fotomaker57's Avatar
    There is a great deal of size difference between the G19 and XDM. Be sure to define your use of the weapon before making in judgments or purchases.
    Mike
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
    Thomas Jefferson

I will always support a Glock purchase, and $510 is a good price. I love my
    G22 in .40 s&w
    Glock 22 .40 s&w
    Smith and wesson m&p 9mm
    Kimber Eclipse custom 2 .45acp
    Beretta px4 storm 9mm

Quote Originally Posted by fotomaker57 View Post
    There is a great deal of size difference between the G19 and XDM. Be sure to define your use of the weapon before making in judgments or purchases.
    Mike
    I am trying to find the specifications of the XDM. Is the XDM larger than the Glock 19? I think for the money and the reliability and as long as the Glock has been around I may buy the Glock. Of course it all depends on haw the pistol feels after shooting it at the range. The pistol will be an every day concealed weapon in either a shoulder holster or an IWB. I am looking for something to supplement my Kel Tec P-11.

Biased Opinion

I am probably biased (because I just purchased a new Glock 26 on Sunday), but if you intend this pistol primarily as a carry gun for IWB, I would get the Glock 26. Last week I posted a couple discussions about the merits of the Glock 19 vs. the Glock 26. The conclusion and solution that I came to was to buy the G26 and a couple G19 magazines for the best of both worlds.
    Glock 26 9mm CCW - - S&W 642 Super Tuned - - Remington 870 18.5" 12GA 6+1

I can't say anything about the XDM, but between the 19 & the 26, assuming this is your first carry gun, I'd choose the 19. It is surprisingly easy to conceal, is easier to handle because of having a full grip, and of course has a higher capacity.

Having said that, once I have the $$$, I'll be picking up a 26 as well. I have some pants & shorts with pockets large enough to allow for pocket carry, and it will print marginally less with many of the shirts I wear for work when I carry IWB. And for what it's worth, no matter which I will have on me, I also carry 1-2 17rnd mags as backups / reloads.

My opinion only, YMMV, etc, etc...
    "It is only as retaliation that force may be used and only against the man who starts its use. No, I do not share his evil or sink to his concept of morality: I merely grant him his choice, destruction, the only destruction he had a right to choose: his own." - John Galt, from Atlas Shrugged

I have had my 19 for a few years and just picked up a slightly used custumized less than a year old 26 at a great price. Of all the hand guns I have the 19 would be one if I could only have one.

As someone who used to own an XDM:

Get the G19.

For me, the G19 is, hands down, a better pistol. I found the XDM to be overhyped and overrated for what I actually got.

And, as far as size comparisons, the XDM is closer in size to a G17--but bigger.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

Quote Originally Posted by SaddleSC View Post
    I am probably biased (because I just purchased a new Glock 26 on Sunday), but if you intend this pistol primarily as a carry gun for IWB, I would get the Glock 26. Last week I posted a couple discussions about the merits of the Glock 19 vs. the Glock 26. The conclusion and solution that I came to was to buy the G26 and a couple G19 magazines for the best of both worlds.
    I think it was your thread that got me to take a second look at the Glock line. The first time I looked at them they just felt so big in my hand. Perhaps when I actually shoot one that may translate to a much stronger and better grip on the pistol. When I looked at them the first time I do not believe they had the ergonomic grips either.

kpw
    The nice thing about a 19 is that it carries a lot like a sub-compact but shoots more like a full size pistol. For an all around package, it's hard to beat.
    That XDm thing...I'm still trying to figure out why they made a poly pistol that weighs almost as much as most aluminum or steel framed pistols. I just don't get it.

Quote Originally Posted by kpw View Post
    The nice thing about a 19 is that it carries a lot like a sub-compact but shoots more like a full size pistol. For an all around package, it's hard to beat.
    Now what more could anyone say to that? There's not much more in this world I depend on more than my G19 other than myself.
    A Glock world is a better world. What's in your holster?

GKG
    Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    Now what more could anyone say to that? There's not much more in this world I depend on more than my G19 other than myself.
    A Glock world is a better world. What's in your holster?
    +1000 Hate to pile on but Glock 19 carrier here as well. Trust lives to it. For folks with big hands the 26, required the pinky extension, which makes the grip profile the same length as the 19. Get the 19, you'll be glad you did.
    Geoff & Suzy-If you're reading it, Suzy typed it.
    In Loving Memory of my baby brother Benjamin Ian
    "Only the dead have seen the end of war" Plato
    "Those who give up liberty for the sake of security deserve neither liberty nor security." Benjamin Franklin

After 23 years with a Colt Officers model, I could not be happier with my 19. I also own a Walther PPS - the Glock is as easily concealable. I am 6', 200 lbs and carry OWB with an untucked sport shirt. Great capacity, highly controllable. Why go with a 26 if you carry OWB?

+1 on the G19 as well, new G19 owner here (fired less than 500 rounds) love it to bits.

Nice grip, points well, easy to clean, lightweight, pefect size (not to big and not to small), durable finish, nice combat sights.

I cannot fault the Glock in anyway.
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    Evil prevails when good men stand by and do nothing
    --------------------------------------------------------------

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links