Any idea why Springfields are so hard to get?

This is a discussion on Any idea why Springfields are so hard to get? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; It is obviously hard to come by anything that relates to our hobby, including guns, ammo, etc. Probably no more in AZ than anywhere else, ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any idea why Springfields are so hard to get?

Question Any idea why Springfields are so hard to get?

It is obviously hard to come by anything that relates to our hobby, including guns, ammo, etc. Probably no more in AZ than anywhere else, but my wife ordered me a Springfield Champion and we have been told to expect a 6 or more month wait time. It seems that no store has anything Springfield other than XD/XDM, no 1911 at all. Anyone have any insight as to why Springfield is having trouble filling orders?

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar
    I wonder that too. My FFL dealer told me they waited EIGHT months for a shipment of Springfield GI 1911s to come in.

Then they sold out in two days, my guess is the demand is high for these things.
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

idk about where you guys are, but I see no problem around my area with XD's or XDm's, the subcompacts are harder to find, but generally theres quite a few of them around

the gun show this past weekend had plenty of them as well

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar
    I think the OP is talking about Springfield Armory's 1911s. I too find XDs everywhere.
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

Senior Member Array Sportsterguy's Avatar
    3 reasons IMO:

* They offer alot of bang for the buck.

* Their customer service is outstanding.

* They are quality 1911's that after break in run like champs.
    Sportsterguy-NRA Life Member

Molon Labe!

Join the NRA today, or don't complain when your guns are taken away!

Maybe the Springfield plant is waiting on their government bail-out check? Worse yet is that maybe they had to agree to cut production to get their bail out check?

VIP Member
    They are worth waiting for.

Simple supply and demand. Demand currently exceeds supply. When I bought my first XD, the reverse was true and it was a bargain.

I have a coworker that's been waiting several months... approaching one year... for a Socom II (rifle).
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

Very nice pistols, I would wait...

Do gun shows make rotations in AZ? Went to one Sunday here in Houston.. I saw quite a few Springfields.. Average prices, not good but not bad either.
    Kimber Pro-Carry II .45 w/ 230gr Remington Golden Sabers
    Ruger SP101 DAO .357 w/ 125gr Speer Gold Dots

"Try and fail is the manner of losers; try and learn is the way of the strong."

It may be that Springfield is trying to keep up with the demand on XD's. My local gun shop guy said the XD's are his best seller and he carries most everything. (biggest gun jobbery in town)
    Ruger MK III, Taurus Judge, Ruger P95, Rossi 357 Snubbie, NRA

It is mostly the XD's fault. I wanted a SA 1911 9mm and was told they did not expect to make a new production run for 9-12 months, found 1 on Gunbroker. I wanted a Champion Operator and was told the same thing, bought a Kimber 4".

SA's customer service is second to none IMO. In the shooting industry Dillon, for their loaders is the only other customer service that has NEVER been a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Beergut View Post
    It may be that Springfield is trying to keep up with the demand on XD's. My local gun shop guy said the XD's are his best seller and he carries most everything. (biggest gun jobbery in town)

+1
    I have been in and out of my local stores and have only been able to find a total of about three SA 1911, but a counter full of XD's. When discussing this with the owners of the stores it has came down to trying to get the XD's to market and compete with Glock. They just aren't diverting a lot of time to the 1911 market. (BTW, the three were a GI model, a stainless target model, and a TRP.)

Because I couldn't find the "one" that I wanted, I bought a used one in Champion instead of full size. Don't get me wrong I really enjoy it, but would like a full size as well. The addiction is taking over

I think the over supply of XD/XDM is due to them being IMO over priced.

You can find em in every single shop around me. They are good guns but I dont think they are worth the $600 price tag around here.

You rarely see a Keltec because everyone is buying them up. Sigmas and M&P's are going quick around here too. Glocks are everywhere.
    My Music: www.reverbnation.com/dickiefredericks
    New tunes added.
    "The Double Tap Center Mass Boogie. Learn it, know it, love it, shoot it. Good guys should live, bad guys not so much. " - Ted Nugent 09

Wake up people!

The Springfield 1911 line of pistols has nothing to do with their XD line, and by the look of the posts in this thread, it seems that most of you think that Springfield is making these firearms... They are not.

The 1911's are coming out of Brazil and any shortages have to be addressed by increasing the Brazilian production capacity.

The XD's come from Croatia, the same way they did when they were known as the HS2000. The Croatian factory has increased to over 1000 workers in the last few months to keep pace with the U.S. demand.

Keep up the good work people, and remember to buy American.
    "Let me guess... This isn't about the alcohol or tobacco."

Distinguished Member Array svgheartland's Avatar
    This is kind of interesting. My local shop is new and only in business about 1 1/2 years. He cut a deal directly with Springfield in hopes of improving his flow of XD's. He can't get the sub's at all it seems. He had to buy in to a package deal and since then he's received some high end 1911's, a couple of full sized XD's and no sub's at all. But I wonder if Springfield has shifted manufacturing focus to the XD's as a general statement and reduced production of the 1911's.
    Savage Heartland

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links