Did you know the grip girth of a G21SF is almost the same as a Sig 229?

This is a discussion on Did you know the grip girth of a G21SF is almost the same as a Sig 229? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I measured the girth of grip for a G21SF and a Sig 229. I used a tape (cloth type) measure around the upper part of ...

Thread: Did you know the grip girth of a G21SF is almost the same as a Sig 229?

Senior Moderator

Did you know the grip girth of a G21SF is almost the same as a Sig 229?

I measured the girth of grip for a G21SF and a Sig 229. I used a tape (cloth type) measure around the upper part of the grips where the web of the hand would go and beneath the trigger guard where the middle finger would go.

The Sig 229 measured 7-3/8" and the G21SF 7-3/4". That's a lot of difference you think? Not really. That 3/8" difference represents less than a 7 percent difference. If we compare that difference to driving, and say we're going 60 mph, a 7% increase in speed would put us at 64 mph.
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

2. Remove Ads

Did you know the Sig P229 can out shoot the Glock 21SF . Ha Ha Ha
    Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!

Just playing with ya.
    Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!

But yet the 3mm difference between the G21 and 21SF is HUGE news!
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ Husker View Post
    But yet the 3mm difference between the G21 and 21SF is HUGE news!
    I'm not sure that 1/8" difference is a girth measurement. But, yeah, it's not huge, but wouldn't that mean the G21 also isn't as big as many perceive it to be?

In any event, a gun that holds 14 rounds of .45 ACP, weighs the same loaded as a 1911 unloaded, has essentially the same grip as a Sig 229 and weighs only 2.5 oz more and has the same capacity as a 9mm Sig 229, is no taller than a Sig 229, and has a shorter trigger reach than a Sig 229, I'd say that pretty well qualifies as huge.
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    The P229 has a short trigger option from the factory, plus there are aftermarket custom-contoured triggers available. The P229 itself was too huge for me, or so I thought, until I handled one with a factory short trigger. Perfection, for me, is now SIG; I now use P229s for duty and CC. I shoot the P229s notably better than I shot the G22s I had previously used for duty and occasional carry.

I am not anti-Glock; they just don't work for me. I can't get my hands well positioned on them, and except for two-handed slow fire, cannot shoot them well. I can shoot my SIGs much better when in a hurry, whether that hurry is the fast-paced qual course at work, or my own practice. I have not been in a gunfight since my sixgun days, but last I heard, gunfights happened fast, and sometimes the other hand is busy doing something else.

Just to be clear, I have not shot an SF Glock, but have held one. It felt about like a G22, which is what I used before I bought my SIGs. It would be interesting to see Glock offer a short trigger option! Perhaps Glock could also "SF" the G22 frame size.

I think the real difference between the two is the shape and angle of the grips - for me the SIG is easier to grasp in a solid shooting platform. You also have a variety of options in the SIG of what type of grips are on the gun, the standard plasic, thicker hardwood or thinner aluminum. With the Glock you only have the choice of factory grips or some kind of rubber overmold (you can also do that with the SIG) or spending time and money to send the Glock into a place like Robar.

Glock works better for many, SIG works better for me. My primary duty weapon blows both of them away when it comes to thickness of grip and mag capacity anyways. My XDm has thinner grips that are adjustable and holds 16 + 1 of .40.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

Links