Did you know that the height of a G21SF and a Sig 229 are the same?

This is a discussion on Did you know that the height of a G21SF and a Sig 229 are the same? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; If you stand a G21SF on it's sights on a flat surface and a Sig 229 the same way right beside it, they are almost ...

Thread: Did you know that the height of a G21SF and a Sig 229 are the same?

Senior Moderator

Did you know that the height of a G21SF and a Sig 229 are the same?

If you stand a G21SF on it's sights on a flat surface and a Sig 229 the same way right beside it, they are almost exactly the same height. There's not enough difference to measure.
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

2. Remove Ads

How does it compare to a 1911 or a K frame? About the same I would guess.

Of course I can get the Sig 229 SAS without a rail.
    "Words can be as lethal as bullets; Choose them carefully, Aim them well & Use them sparingly."

That is pretty cool Tangle.

But one question:

How much is Glock compensating you for selling guns for them?

I'm at risk of picking one up myself.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

Senior Member Array highvoltage's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by M203Sniper View Post
    How does it compare to a 1911 or a K frame? About the same I would guess.
    Glock 21 / 5.47"
    Sig 229 / 5.4"
    Kimber Custom II / 5.25"

Couldn't find specs on the height of a k frame, probably out there somewhere but a quick search came up empty.

Quote Originally Posted by M203Sniper View Post
    Of course I can get the Sig 229 SAS without a rail.
    I think I missed something. Since the rail is on the underside of the frame, anything attached to a rail doesn't affect the height of the pistol.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by matiki View Post
    That is pretty cool Tangle.

But one question:

How much is Glock compensating you for selling guns for them?

I'm at risk of picking one up myself.
    Don't I wish I was getting compensated.

Actually, the whole point of this and the other three related threads is that a G21SF, even the G21, may not be as big as we think. Notice I'm comparing a the largest full size Glock to a compact Sig and the numbers, fully loaded weight, capacity, height, grip girth and trigger reach match up very close. And, again, I'm comparing a full size Glock to a compact/mid size Sig.

The significant differences (size that is) is the size of the width of the magazines and of course, the Glock 21FS, being a full size gun is longer than the Sig 229.

So many are under the opinion that the G21 is 'big' and yet here it compares very favorably in dimensions to a mid size gun.

I could compare the G21SF to a Sig 226, the full size Sig, but everyone would just say the 226 is a big gun too.

I just found it intriguing that Glocks largest full size gun, holds the same number of 230 gn .45 ACP rounds as a 9mm 229, and weighs essentially the same, and has practically the same dimensions.

You said it, there's something cool about that.

Every time I'm over at my dad's as we're talking, I'll wander over to the safe and grab his 21SF stacked with 230 gr. Gold Dot. Must resist, must resist.

VIP Member
    Of the two, I'd still take the Sig every time! Remember people......you get what you pay for. (except with 1911s)
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    The P229, with the magazine in place, is deceptively large, indeed. With no magazine in place, it is notable shorter than many pistols, but we carry pistols loaded, not empty. The market, collectively, tends to think snubbing the barrel as the chief way to make a gun more compact, so the P228 and P229 were worshipped in their times of introduction, when in reality they were no easier to conceal than the P226.

One important difference that remains, is the reach to the trigger. SIG offers a short factory trigger option, and there are custom triggers available for SIGs from several sources. I have large hands, which love the feel of big-gripped guns, but not-so-long fingers, and getting proper placement on the trigger can be a challenge.

My J frame just measured right at 4 1/8" tall, and my 66 K frame measured 5 5/8 with Hogue grips and right at 5" without the Hogues.

Quote Originally Posted by sigmanluke View Post
    Of the two, I'd still take the Sig every time! Remember people......you get what you pay for. (except with 1911s)
    I assume that you mean you get more than you pay for with a good 1911 Cuz if you are slamming a 1911 you will have to explain to the vast majority of those of us who enjoy quality guns that shoot well why that would be...because there are a lot of us who are BIG fans of the 1911 design (that being said I generally carry a M&P 45c as I am right now...course I may just wear my 1911 for the rest of the day)
    Pray for our nations leaders!

Senior Moderator
    I'd just add to what nosights said that the 1911 is one of my favorite guns. I believe the design is reliable as any design out there. Now, there have been some manufacturering problems occassionally, but there have been with Sigs, Glocks, XDs, etc. as well. But the reliability of the 1911 design is beyond question.

However, having said that the 1911 is one of my favorite guns, it is not one of my favorite carry guns, but that's another thread.

Links