Thoughts on Taurus revolvers?

This is a discussion on Thoughts on Taurus revolvers? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was wondering what everyone's opinion is on Taurus, revolvers. I was looking at a .357 flavor but I don't want something that I would ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on Taurus revolvers?

Thoughts on Taurus revolvers?

I was wondering what everyone's opinion
    is on Taurus, revolvers. I was looking at
    a .357 flavor but I don't want something
    that I would have to repair often.

2. Remove Ads

Depending on who you talk to they are either great or horrible. It almost appears its the luck of the draw. The real problem seems to be that IF you do have a problem their customer service is spotty and weak. So its a carp shoot really.

I have an older Rossi from pre Taurus ownership days that is one of the nicest revolvers I have owned. Fit and finish and function. And I had a M85 that was darn nice too. But some have not been so lucky.

I had a 4" Tracker in .357; it was OK.

Personally, I'd save a little more money for a Ruger or a S&W.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

Distinguished Member Array Siafu's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cphilip View Post
    Depending on who you talk to they are either great or horrible. It almost appears its the luck of the draw. The real problem seems to be that IF you do have a problem their customer service is spotty and weak. So its a carp shoot really.

I have an older Rossi from pre Taurus ownership days that is one of the nicest revolvers I have owned. Fit and finish and function. And I had a M85 that was darn nice too. But some have not been so lucky.
    Like Cphilip said. The service turn around time is beyond unacceptable. Other than that they are good looking and good performing weapons. If you are looking for a nice revolver you might want to give the Ruger SP101 a squeeze. They are very solidly built and will last for a lifetime and then some. Ruger service is very responsive.

VIP Member
    10 years ago Taurus was a risk. Today taurus makes a fine product. Get a 605 and you will be very happy. I've been carrying a 605 for years with zero problems!
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
    I took the one less traveled by,
    And that has made all the difference.

They seem to be alright(these days) ..though according to many reports i've seen, their customer service is still a bit lax..if you need it.
    For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul? Mark 8:36

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar
    I had a Taurus model 617 which was a 7 shot 357 Magnum snubby. I actually used it to defend my life once, and sold it shortly after. The couple times I shot it, it never gave me any problems. I think Taurus discontinued it too. I think Taurus makes decent revolvers, but I question their polymer framed semi-autos.

If you want something that will last forever, get a Ruger, they are built like tanks!
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

When hiking in the bush, I carry a "Raging Bull" in .44 mag. Never had any problems.......love it!!
    Evil triumphs when good men do nothing! Edmond Burke
    Where the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Where the government fears the people, there is liberty! Benjamin Franklin

THIS IS THE PRIMARY REASON WE HAVE THE 2ND AMENDMENT!!!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    10 years ago Taurus was a risk. Today taurus makes a fine product. Get a 605 and you will be very happy. I've been carrying a 605 for years with zero problems!

This is very true. Bought one of their 357 before thier tough time and it was a great revolver. I think what happened to Taurus is that they under priced everyone else and became overbooked on orders. Thats when quanity became a leader over quality. Bosses got fired and new management stepped in and quality is again in front.

I just purchased a Rageing Bull in 44 mag for hunting and its a fine weapon. Well made, looks good and very accurate.

I have a Rossi 461 (blued .357 2 inch), made after they were acquired by Taurus. It was my first handgun. Its a solid performer, and accurate, not the prettiest pistol maybe (not as nice as my s&w 638), but not bad, well worth what I paid for it.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Administrator
    They are hit or miss today or 10 years ago.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    The "lifetime" part of the Taurus lifetime service policy refers to how long it takes to get a problem fixed.

I would buy a pre-owned Taurus if I had a chance to verify its function first, and just needed to have a value-priced sixgun. A new Taurus (or otherwise untested one) is a crap shoot. It will probably work fine, but if it does not, where did that "value" go?

Ruger, S&W, Colt, and USFA make good revolvers here in the USA. Well, Colt's QC is a topic unto itself, but an educated buyer can do well with Colt. I own more Rugers than other revolvers, with USFA next, then S&W, then Colt. My wife had a blued Taurus model 85, and it worked fine. She sold it to a co-worker, perhaps because she preferred stainless steel.

I had a 606, stainless 6-shot ported 2 1/2" .357 and loved it. Bought in Jan of '98 and had it as my glove box gun for years. It had one issue, the cylinder locked up and wouldn't rotate and hammer would not function. It started that in 2001, shortly after 9/11. I waited almost a year and then sent it to Taurus, they had it fixed and back in my hands in less than six weeks. Got it back and didn't have a single problem out of it.

I say had due to the fact that I loaned it to my Mother after my Fathers' passing last year. It was stolen out of her home along with many other things. I really miss it, it was a great weapon even with the one small hang up.

Quote Originally Posted by ErikGr7 View Post
    I was wondering what everyone's opinion
    is on Taurus, revolvers. I was looking at
    a .357 flavor but I don't want something
    that I would have to repair often.

Get a Smith and Wesson, even if it's used... better quality through out.
    http://www.bloombergfightbackfund.com/
    Sig P220R/Sig P239 (9mm)/ S&W 640/ Ruger Single Six Hunter (.22LR/Mag)/ CZ 452 Varmint .22LR/ Lee Enfield No4 MK2 sporterized dated 1959/ Mosin Nagant M90-30 dated 1942/

I have a 5 shot 650CIA in .357 that I shoot quite often and have never had any trouble with. Is it as nice as my S&W Combat Masterpiece? No, but then it didn't cost as much either. I would say that there are better pistols out there if you can afford them. I will also say that I have talked to some guys that have had trouble with higher priced guns(Ruger & S&W) as well. Bottom line is you can have trouble with any gun especially a used gun so buy the best you can would be my advice. But don't write off a Taurus just because some people have had trouble with them
    If you cannot stand behind our troops feel free to stand in front of them.

GOD BLESS AMERICA!

If you are authorized to carry a weapon, and you walk outside without it, just take a deep breath, and say this to yourself..."Baa."

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links