Does Anyone Out There Take Colt Revolvers Seriously? - Page 2

Does Anyone Out There Take Colt Revolvers Seriously?

This is a discussion on Does Anyone Out There Take Colt Revolvers Seriously? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'll take them any way I can get them....

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Like Tree54Likes

Thread: Does Anyone Out There Take Colt Revolvers Seriously?

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    I'll take them any way I can get them.

rugerista likes this.
    When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

I carry this 1965 Detective special about half the time. It conceals easily, even under a dark colored tee shirt in hot weather.

rugerista likes this.

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    I take them seriously enough to not want to stand in front of one! My present Colts are single action sixguns; I have fired one of them enough to know it works, so if it just happened to be the handiest at a moment in time, I would use it in all seriousness.

I briefly carried a Colt Python as a duty handgun, while my Ruger GP100 was in the firearms lab for ballistic testing after a shooting incident. In the end, however, I just couldn't shoot it as well in DA mode as a Ruger or S&W sixgun, so I traded it off. Yeah, I do NOW wish I had kept it, but I was not a collector back then. I certainly did take that Python seriously, but it was not my cup of tea.

I also had a Detective Special for a while, but traded it after I decided I wanted all of my carry sixguns bigger than a J-frame to be able to chamber .357 magnum ammo. Yeah, I do NOW wish I had kept the Detective Special, but I was not a collector back then.

I carry this 1966 Detective Special on occasion. I can shoot a Detective Special better than I can shoot a Smith & Wesson J-Frame round butt. The Detective Special hides just as readily as the J-Frame and holds six rounds.

The Official Police (shown top here) is a nice rugged revolver. Mine was a NYPD gun and dates from 1953. It'd make a great household defense revolver if loaded with +P 158 grain SWC-HP .38 Special ammunition. I occasionally carry this one holstered in the field, on hikes and such. Official Police revolvers like this one actually share the same action design as the Python and are just as smooth. In this world of modern automatic pistols these are sometimes overlooked. They're still useful and fun to shoot.
    rugerista likes this.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

I had a brain fart four or five years ago and traded my 6" Trooper .357. I purchased it NIB in 1978. I sure miss that great shooting side arm.

I carry my Anaconda every year when I go deer hunting.

And, while it wouldn't be my first choice in a SD situation...I keep the speedloaders next to it in the safe stuffed with 210 Silvertips. I have no doubt that it would do just fine.

And it is a fun range toy.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

My only Colt currently is a Police Positive in .32 S&W (".32 New Colt Police"). I bought it as a collector's piece/trail gun/fun gun. Trigger pull is a lot heavier than the comperable Smith (I-frame .32 Hand Ejector), but it's sturdy and so far has been a lot of fun.

I toted one of the Det. Spl. types about for a bit (the Agent, I think, ...s'been a while ... only done in Parkarized finish with black rubber grips). It was fine, but I always wound up going back to a J-frame type 5-shooter for carry (then usually back to a semi-auto).

The other Colt's I've handled and fired all seemed sturdy, dependable, and accurate enough. But they do seem a wee bit pricey.

I had a beautiful stainless 4" Anaconda that I had to let go about ten years ago. I carried it on road trips, when hunting and kept it stoked with 240gr. Hornady XTP spl. for home defense. It had a buttery smooth DA pull. When I sold it, I got a whopping $350 for it! If I knew then what I know now...
    Jack

I'd love to have one, but by the time I was old enough to buy pistols, the prices on them were high compared to comparable revolvers from other manufacturers. If I could find a good deal on one I'd jump on it though.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Colt revolver

I have the Colt Lawman MKIII 357mag with the 2" barrel. I only recently retired this gun to my safe after my wife wanted to get her ccw. We tried all types of guns and what she liked the best was the Glock 9mm's. I got her the Glock 34 for range and target shooting and the Glock 26 for her carry gun. I wanted to be consistent with all of our serious guns so I also have the Glock 34, which I really like shooting, the Glock 17 for the nightstand, and I also carry the Glock 26. I took the Colt to the range the other day and remember how much I enjoy shooting that gun. I would have no hesitation on using this for serious work except being built on a 41 frame and all steel it is on the heavy side. I sure got a lot of comments on the revolver, my range officer friends had not seen it before and were really impressed with its looks.
    Attached Images
    My collection: Glock G34, G34OD, G17, G26, G26; Ruger KP90; Ruger Blackhawk .357mag; Ruger Standard Auto; Sig P6; Colt Lawman MKIII .357 snub; S&W 642; Hawes Montana Marshal .44mag

1943 - 2009
    Might as well show off my Cobra (again) made in 1963:

I once owned an 8 inch Python with Elliason sights, (it was my IHMSA standing class gun,) along with a 2nd generation SAA in .44 Special and a 2nd generation Detective Special with 3 inch barrel (both were quite rare.)

Sadly, these 3 are all long gone, now...
    oneshot likes this.

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

I have a pair of Colt 45 7" Peacemakers, Pony Express models.
    Heavily Medicated For Your Protection

Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    The Detective Special still has a large measure of popularity that is well deserved...

Does anyone keep an Official Police, Marshall, Border Patrol, Trooper, Lawman, Officer's Model, 357, Peacekeeper, King Cobra, Diamondback, Viper, Anaconda, or New Service for serious personal protection? If not for serious protection perhaps as a satisfying range handgun?

If you got 'em then show 'em and tell of your experiences with them.
    my mother could certainly give an opinion here; my dad bought her a Detective Special back in the early '90s for less than $300. she carried it every day, and she was once forced to point it at a man in the parking lot of a Walmart (or Kmart?) in the Mt. Pocono area, who was threatening to kill them. he had a hand in his pocket. before my dad could deploy his Colt Officer's 1911 (he has this loyalty to Colt), my ma had her snubbie out and aimed.

she doesn't shoot it often, because of her arthritis, but my dad can get 2" group at 25 yards with it. i've not a wheelman, myself, but i wouldn't mind carrying one.

Colt Revolvers

When did Colt quit making revolvers?

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tallinthesaddle View Post
    When did Colt quit making revolvers?
    Colt still makes the SAA. I think they rolled over and played dead during the Clinton years, and stopped making their DA sixguns, along with most of their non-military consumer weapons. For a while, it was just the SAA and a very few 1911 models. Sad.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links