Does Anyone Out There Take Colt Revolvers Seriously? - Page 6

Does Anyone Out There Take Colt Revolvers Seriously?

This is a discussion on Does Anyone Out There Take Colt Revolvers Seriously? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; For sheer beauty, it's hard to beat a Colt Python in either the 4 or 6 inch barrel with the standard wood grips and nothing ...

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast
Like Tree54Likes

Thread: Does Anyone Out There Take Colt Revolvers Seriously?

For sheer beauty, it's hard to beat a Colt Python in either the 4 or 6 inch barrel with the standard wood grips and nothing added. But IMHO, Colt makes better semiautos and S&W makes better revolvers. I dislike the cylinder release latch on the Colt. Also, I find a curious predilection in many of the Colt revolvers to have a sticky point in the revolver trigger release once it's been pulled to the rear double action. It's usually very faint but distinct and I never fail to pick up on it. Drives me nuts.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

VIP Member
    The Colt target revolvers (from whence the Python came) were designed to "stack" just before the trigger broke. The newer revolvers, IIRC, did not do so.
    If the public are bound to yield obedience to laws to which they cannot give their approbation, they are slaves to those who make such laws and enforce them.--Samuel Adams as Candidus, Boston Gazette 20 Jan. 1772

Veteran--USA FA
    NRA Benefactor Life
    Tennessee Firearms Association Life

Lightbulb The "stick" is in full retraction of the trigger

Quote Originally Posted by falcon1 View Post
    The Colt target revolvers (from whence the Python came) were designed to "stack" just before the trigger broke. The newer revolvers, IIRC, did not do so.
    I'm not talking about a trigger stack before break, I'm talking about the trigger sticking (after the break) in full retraction before full release to the start of another pull.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ExSoldier View Post
    I'm not talking about a trigger stack before break, I'm talking about the trigger sticking (after the break) in full retraction before full release to the start of another pull.
    Oh, I see. I don't recall that sensation, but I fire Colt revolvers almost exclusively, so I don't have much with which to compare it.
    If the public are bound to yield obedience to laws to which they cannot give their approbation, they are slaves to those who make such laws and enforce them.--Samuel Adams as Candidus, Boston Gazette 20 Jan. 1772

Veteran--USA FA
    NRA Benefactor Life
    Tennessee Firearms Association Life

Lightbulb Try this...

Quote Originally Posted by falcon1 View Post
    Oh, I see. I don't recall that sensation, but I fire Colt revolvers almost exclusively, so I don't have much with which to compare it.
    I've fired a lot of different Colt revolvers and found the sensation resides almost exclusively in the Python and Diamond Back models. Here's a small test for you to try. Take an unloaded weapon (make SURE of course) and dry fire it DA. Hold the trigger all the way to the rear consciously and then just as consciously let your finger snap freely forward rather than riding the trigger forward and concentrate. See if there isn't the merest lag on that trigger. As I said, 'tis but a small detail but once I became aware of it, it drove me nuts!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Guevera View Post
    Detective Special with rather unusual three inch barrel. I certainly would like to know what percentage of the DS production had this barrel - it must not have been a huge number.

Man that is rare, not many of those were made IIRC.

Exclamation My COLT...

SAA...Blued with case color frame...4 3/4" barrel...in .45LC

SHOOTER13
    ================
    DoD: Peace thru Superior Firepower

1943 - 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Guevera View Post
    Detective Special with rather unusual three inch barrel. I certainly would like to know what percentage of the DS production had this barrel - it must not have been a huge number.
    You're right, the 3 inch barrel DS is extremely scarce. I imagine Colt's could provide production numbers, but they were very low.

I once owned a 2nd generation 3 inch DS, I occasionally carried it as an Army CID Agent (against regs) and it was my first civilian LE off duty gun. I sure wish I'd never sold it!

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

I like snubs but realistically that 3-inch Detective Special conceals about as well. Nice little .38.

Shooter13's 4 3/4-inch .45 Colt Single Action Army is the best combination of cartridge and configuration in Colt SAA revolvers. Their balance is so fine.

Quote Originally Posted by ExSoldier View Post
    Interesting ...

I got out my 1972 DS (3rd model) and my 1974 4" Python and didn't notice any sticking or hesitation in the trigger return.

Then again, mine are not stock - both actions have been polished, as have the inside of the frames and side plates.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

After owning this 1970 Colt Cobra, I truly believe that they are the gold standard of snubs... sorry smith and ruger folks....

IMG_3566.jpg
    bmcgilvray likes this.

I have several Colts but only shoot some of them . The 4" Python is my shooter and also shoot the Officer Model Match. Both are very accurate, much better than I am.

The safe queen 6" 1979 Python with Elliason sights

azchevy, bmcgilvray and Bark'n like this.
    K9, Colt 3 5 7
    Colt Python 6",4", 2.5"
    Sig P225
    Sig P239 SAS/DAK
    Colt Diamondback
    Colt Trooper .357

Will also add picture of them all together except my Detective Special in Nickel which is being shipped to me this week. I am about tapped out now. Hehe.

bmcgilvray likes this.
    K9, Colt 3 5 7
    Colt Python 6",4", 2.5"
    Sig P225
    Sig P239 SAS/DAK
    Colt Diamondback
    Colt Trooper .357

Quote Originally Posted by azchevy View Post
    After owning this 1970 Colt Cobra, I truly believe that they are the gold standard of snubs... sorry smith and ruger folks....

IMG_3566.jpg
    Wow, the thread rises from the dead!

I've got to agree with azchevy even though I'm a pretty rabid fan of Smith & Wesson revolvers. Holding 6 rounds instead of only 5 rounds, robust yet compact, elegant and unclunky, the short-barreled Colt revolvers are unequivocally the best snubs of all.

Love seeing an Officer's Model Match here. I have one that was produced in 1957, the year of my birth.
    got2hav1 likes this.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

I like S&W, but if anybody doesn't take Colt Detective Specials, Pythons or Cobras seriously, I'll be glad to take them! Personally, I think the quality of some of the old revolvers is better than the new ones they sell today.
    bmcgilvray likes this.

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Links