Does Anyone Out There Take Colt Revolvers Seriously? - Page 7

Does Anyone Out There Take Colt Revolvers Seriously?

This is a discussion on Does Anyone Out There Take Colt Revolvers Seriously? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by bmcgilvray Wow, the thread rises from the dead! I've got to agree with azchevy even though I'm a pretty rabid fan of ...

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast
Like Tree54Likes

Thread: Does Anyone Out There Take Colt Revolvers Seriously?

Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    Wow, the thread rises from the dead!

I've got to agree with azchevy even though I'm a pretty rabid fan of Smith & Wesson revolvers. Holding 6 rounds instead of only 5 rounds, robust yet compact, elegant and unclunky, the short-barreled Colt revolvers are unequivocally the best snubs of all.

Love seeing an Officer's Model Match here. I have one that was produced in 1957, the year of my birth.
    Gotta love those fully checkered grips. The one I have is a 1959 model. They are great shooters.
    K9, Colt 3 5 7
    Colt Python 6",4", 2.5"
    Sig P225
    Sig P239 SAS/DAK
    Colt Diamondback
    Colt Trooper .357

Yeah, I'm really fond of those 1950s full checkered target stocks. They were about gone by 1961 and pretty hard to find today if a fellow is trying to return a revolver to original condition.

I have a great Python with a typically fine action but it isn't any better than the Officer's Model Match. Here's a best effort of an afternoon's range time on an outing a couple years ago. Ten shots at ten yards. I was shooting in an internet match hosted on another forum. Rules were the best of three tries. Naturally, this was the fourth try so I didn't count it. Got second place with the best of the three groups I shot that day.

The second place target
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

G'evening Ladies & Gentlemen" In 53 I was issued the colt Border Patrol model - yes I was in the Border Patrol - . It had a 4" barrel about3/4" in diameter. It was very nice, however, since it was in .38 spec, I promptly bought the first .357 Hiway Patrol model (28) in kingsville Texas. After leaving the Border Patrol, I carried that old S&W for years on explorations throughout the world.

Colts are extremely fine weapons, but the S&W has a better double action, and the ejection rod is better protected.

However, I will gladly accept any ole colts that you are ashamed to be found with. Even pay the postage etc. want my shipping address?

Don jose de La Mancha
    bmcgilvray likes this.

Tayopo, cool history - 1953! Where were you stationed? Did you ever rub elbows with Charlie Askins?
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Hola 8GAS, Kingsville , McAllen sector, among others. Charles, no, but was taught pistol shooting by Both Bills, Bill Toney & Bill Jordan. Also by Keith and Ed Mgivern. I was fortuate.

Don Jose de La Mancha
    gasmitty likes this.

Distinguished Member Array Brady's Avatar
    I once had 4 inch peacekeeper (have no pics) which through a series of trades and tradeoffs became my SP101.
    Sometimes I miss it and used to kick myself over letting it go, but I do love that SP101, so all is well now!
    ...he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. Luke 22:36
    USN/VET; NRA; GOA, jpfo.org
    Life in a Jar: The Irena Sendler Project www.irenasendler.com

Senior Member Array royal barnes's Avatar
    A Colt Agent(69) resides in my right front pocket most of the time.

Never really even thought about the Colts until I was trying to sell my AR Pistol and a guy offered me a Trooper MKIII in trade. I looked at it and decided I liked it better than the AR pistol and struck up the deal. She has some wear on her, a spot on the cylinder that looks like someone cleaned some light rust of of and some scratches, but that ole pony can shoot.

I now keep her loaded with some 1000-1100fps 357 loads on the bedside for night detail at the house. Would like to get some different grips so if I decided to carry her, she would be a little more streamlined.

All in all I think I did ok in the trade. She not the purtiest,but she is mine.

I have had a 4" Trooper MK111 for years. Don't shoot it much but it's very accurate. Simply a pleasure to listen to and feel the action when you cock it. Double action pull-through is excellent and the quite understated quality of the timing, lockup and balance make it one I won't part with.
    Rigrat likes this.
    Who is John Galt?

Sometimes there's justice, sometimes there's just us...

Quote Originally Posted by Rigrat View Post
    Never really even thought about the Colts until I was trying to sell my AR Pistol and a guy offered me a Trooper MKIII in trade. I looked at it and decided I liked it better than the AR pistol and struck up the deal. She has some wear on her, a spot on the cylinder that looks like someone cleaned some light rust of of and some scratches, but that ole pony can shoot.

I now keep her loaded with some 1000-1100fps 357 loads on the bedside for night detail at the house. Would like to get some different grips so if I decided to carry her, she would be a little more streamlined.

All in all I think I did ok in the trade. She not the purtiest,but she is mine.

Badger makes a great set of finger groove grips for the D frame Colts.
    Who is John Galt?

Sometimes there's justice, sometimes there's just us...

I thought it was the Easter season already with the resurrection of this thread.

To the point, I take my Colt revolvers very seriously -- they're great handguns.

Here are my two favorites:

bmcgilvray and OD* like this.
    "Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less".
    General Robert E. Lee

The Colt DA revolvers are interesting and valuable from a collector standpoint, but they are not in the same league with a equivalent Smith & Wesson or Ruger revolver. I learned to shoot a DA revolver double action and therefore prefer the S&W and a good Ruger will do. But a Colt will just not deliver a constant and smooth trigger pull all through the stroke. Not to mention the inner design has a geometry that goes out of time on a fairly regular basis.

So, do I take them seriously? As investments and trading material, yes. As defense guns, no.
    Anyone Worth Shooting Is Worth Shooting Well
    Please take a look at my Blog: http://oldmanmontgomery.wordpress.com/

Yes, I do. I take all revolvers serious. I'm currently saving up for a new (to me) Colt revolver. My Sig M4 set me back, so I'll have to wait a month or two til I can get one. I'm hoping to find one at the gun show I'm going to. :D

-- I don't always post from my mobile but when I do, I prefer Tapatalk.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by jem102 View Post
    Badger makes a great set of finger groove grips for the D frame Colts.
    Thanks will have to check them out.

police positive .38... smoothest, easiest trigger pull ever...

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast

Links