Does Anyone Out There Take Colt Revolvers Seriously? - Page 8

Does Anyone Out There Take Colt Revolvers Seriously?

This is a discussion on Does Anyone Out There Take Colt Revolvers Seriously? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Sometimes I carry my old Colt Police Positive in the chest pocket of my overalls. This is usually when I'm doing an hour hike through ...

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast
Like Tree54Likes

Thread: Does Anyone Out There Take Colt Revolvers Seriously?

Sometimes I carry my old Colt Police Positive in the chest pocket of my overalls. This is usually when I'm doing an hour hike through the woods. Its a very accurate old pistol. I load it with 98 grain wadcutters.
    And although I usually carry "more" gun in the winter, at times I load the old Colt with Fiocchi FMJ's for winter walks.
    bmcgilvray likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Archie View Post
    The Colt DA revolvers are interesting and valuable from a collector standpoint, but they are not in the same league with a equivalent Smith & Wesson or Ruger revolver. I learned to shoot a DA revolver double action and therefore prefer the S&W and a good Ruger will do. But a Colt will just not deliver a constant and smooth trigger pull all through the stroke. Not to mention the inner design has a geometry that goes out of time on a fairly regular basis.

So, do I take them seriously? As investments and trading material, yes. As defense guns, no.
    That's a very bold inaccurate, statement my friend.

The Python has the most perfect trigger ever devised and has proven itself since it's introduction in 1955. It's generally considered the Holy Grail of revolvers and deserves that title.

The Colt SAA has been a tough warhorse pistol since 1873 without issues, hell it won the west.

Obviously, you are a Ruger/S&W fan but give credit where credit is due and put aside your bias.
    OD*, jem102, got2hav1 and 3 others like this.
    "Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less".
    General Robert E. Lee

I never posted my DS so here she is. 1975 Series lll Nickel..

Big brother MKlll Trooper in Nickel..

K9, Colt 3 5 7
    Colt Python 6",4", 2.5"
    Sig P225
    Sig P239 SAS/DAK
    Colt Diamondback
    Colt Trooper .357

I hate to have to admit this but I'm going to have to agree with Archie. I love owning and using Colt revolvers of all types but can't get really warmed up to their double-action triggers. This includes the much vaunted Python which has a double-action trigger in a peculiar flavor of "yuck" by comparison with a good classic K-Frame or N-Frame Smith & Wesson. As a target arm used in single-action mode for extreme accuracy, the Python trigger is joyously wonderful.

To me, the double-action triggers of any Official Police, Officer's Model, or Army Special equals the Python. They are all four the same basic frame size with action parts and geometry the same size. Of course the Python was suppose to have better fitting and finishing but this is debatable. A well-broken-in Official Police will have a fine trigger for a Colt. The best Colt trigger in the house here is in a 1925 vintage Colt Army Special .41 Long Colt, a model made back when fine fit and finish was still applied to all models across the board. This old Army Special's double-action trigger beats the double-action trigger of the Python here.

Despite this I do favor the Colt Detective Special as the premier snub of all times, barring none, for serious self defense. It's DA trigger may not be what I consider ideal but I can live with it at most reasonable distances and make good hits.

Now I have to part ways with Archie on the Ruger double-action triggers which also do not make my trigger finger glad.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

I own four S&W revolvers, a model 29, a model 629, a model 625 of 1989. and a model 17 full target...all great guns, but the triggers still don't match the smoothness and crispness of my Python. In double action, close, but in single action, my Python breaks far cleaner. These are all factory guns bought brand new with no modifications. Maybe I just happened to get an unusually good Python? I also have an original Colt 1877 DA 'Lightning'. I've only put 6 rounds through it to make sure it functioned, but being it's a fragile action, I don't want to push my luck!
    bmcgilvray likes this.

I have owned and shot several nice S&Ws, but none equalled the SA of the Python or the OMM that I shoot. Maybe I had some sub par Smihs. YMMV.
    K9, Colt 3 5 7
    Colt Python 6",4", 2.5"
    Sig P225
    Sig P239 SAS/DAK
    Colt Diamondback
    Colt Trooper .357

Quote Originally Posted by fast20 View Post
    police positive .38... smoothest, easiest trigger pull ever...

Picking up one exactly like this tomorrow.

To the op

I'm not much of a bettin' man, but if I were, I'd bet that anyone unfortunate enough to be lookin' at the wrong end of a Colt would take it pretty durn serious indeed!

If yours is anywhere near as clean as the one in the photo, you've got yourself one sweet Colt.

Just waiting for bmcgilvray to drop by and comment on your new acquisition (he'll appreciate the legs his thread has)!
    Rock and Glock and OD* like this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Are different parts of the country more partial to one brand over the other? I have been around S&W revolvers all my life, but have never even held a colt revolver.

Distinguished Member Array lionround's Avatar
    image.jpg
    Nuff said.

Sorry it's upside down. Stupid phone won't do it right.

See my signature line below. It's been in the family since new.
    Last edited by lionround; November 15th, 2013 at 06:57 AM.
    bmcgilvray likes this.
    I busted a mirror and got seven years bad luck, but my lawyer thinks he can get me five.
    -- Steven Wright
    1950 Colt .38 Police Positive Special
    2013 SCCY 9mm CPX-2 Stainless Steel
    US Army 1973-1977, 95B

Quote Originally Posted by Donn View Post
    Picking up one exactly like this tomorrow.
    Yep, I'll drop in and look at that one any ol' time. Those factory stocks work really well on Colt frames that size. In case someone didn't realize it, the Police Positive is built on the same frame as the Detective Special. One could almost think of a Police Positive as a Detective Special with a longer barrel installed. The Police Positive family actually came along first and the Detective Special was an outgrowth of it. The snub-nosed Detective Special took on a life of its own as an extremely popular Colt model and ultimatly overshadowed the Police Positive to some extent. Shame they're currently all gone now. Rumors persist that Colt may bring back the Detective Special. Pigs may fly too one day is how I'm gonna look at it but some recent rumors have cropped up lately.

At any rate the D-Frame Colt is quite a dandy compact revolver, whether it's served up with as a 2-inch snub Detective Special or as a 4-inch holster model Police Positive.
    Rock and Glock, gasmitty and OD* like this.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    If yours is anywhere near as clean as the one in the photo, you've got yourself one sweet Colt.

Just waiting for bmcgilvray to drop by and comment on your new acquisition (he'll appreciate the legs his thread has)!
    Every bit as clean. Old Donn was in the right place at the right time, (although my credit card might argue that). Dropped into the LGS, a woman was selling it in favor of a CC auto pistol. The owner showed it to me and I told him not to bother putting it away. As soon as he was done with the paperwork, I'd take it. The in-house gunsmith had to check it out first, so I'll be bringing it home later today.

OD*
    Very nice, Donn.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, don’t give them a tomorrow."

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    Yep, I'll drop in and look at that one any ol' time. Those factory stocks work really well on Colt frames that size. In case someone didn't realize it, the Police Positive is built on the same frame as the Detective Special. One could almost think of a Police Positive as a Detective Special with a longer barrel installed. The Police Positive family actually came along first and the Detective Special was an outgrowth of it. The snub-nosed Detective Special took on a life of its own as an extremely popular Colt model and ultimatly overshadowed the Police Positive to some extent. Shame they're currently all gone now. Rumors persist that Colt may bring back the Detective Special. Pigs may fly too one day is how I'm gonna look at it but some recent rumors have cropped up lately.

At any rate the D-Frame Colt is quite a dandy compact revolver, whether it's served up with as a 2-inch snub Detective Special or as a 4-inch holster model Police Positive.
    I found out something interesting about the Police Positive/Dick Special last week, Bryan (you probably already know this), the HKS speed loaders made for the D frame (marked "DS") also work with the Official Police (J frame IIRC?). The only difference I've found in the cylinders is the thickness of the chamber walls.

I was at a LGS and came across a well worn 1955 Official Police, it had substantial blue wear and needed a cleaning badly, but lock-up was still “bank vault” tight and it appeared to be wearing real ivories. The shop owner said they were bone, I wasn’t going to argue with him, but I felt differently. Price was right so I took it home, when I pulled the stocks off, the right hand panel has a small sticker the says “Colt OM-OP genuine ivory, $11.95.

gasmitty likes this.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, don’t give them a tomorrow."

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast

Links