Defensive Carry banner

Does Anyone Out There Take Colt Revolvers Seriously?

35K views 127 replies 78 participants last post by  OlCop 
#1 ·
Gone but not forgotten, Colt double action revolvers in the 20th Century were mainstays for law enforcement use and popular for private self defense. There are still large numbers of sturdy Colt double action revolvers out there that would be wonderful for self defense purposes, whether for concealed carry or for household defense.

The Detective Special still has a large measure of popularity that is well deserved. It and it's alloy-framed variants, the Cobra and the Agent are the most commonly encountered Colts still used in these times.

Most know of the Python, few use them for self defense.

Does anyone keep an Official Police, Marshall, Border Patrol, Trooper, Lawman, Officer's Model, 357, Peacekeeper, King Cobra, Diamondback, Viper, Anaconda, or New Service for serious personal protection? If not for serious protection perhaps as a satisfying range handgun?

If you got 'em then show 'em and tell of your experiences with them.

#2 ·
Problem with Colt revolvers is they quit making them,I had 3 pythons in the past,I spent 671.00 NIB for a 6" SS python in 1983,that same gun they want more than double the money for used,my 4" blued python was 350.00 can't touch one for much under 900.00 today

Reactions: Secret Spuk
#5 ·
Sure. The Colts are great guns. The problem is, they are hard to find and the ones out there people are holding on too. Not to many people are on the net bragging about that new Colt they just picked up.

#8 ·
1962 Colt Python

Here is a couple of pics of my Colt python, it was the primary service weapon used by my step-father from 1962-1973, as an Il. LEO. Was used in 1968 Chicago riots, as well as a couple of other incidents in the south-side Chicago area. A truly fine piece, with an unequalled action. Big bark, as well as a fine shooter. Has walnut grips, and a true nickle plating...Hope you like

Attachments

#10 ·
"I have a Trooper MK3 .22 that I shoot a lot just because its fun."

Hey Hotguns; I got to shoot one of those a while back and it sure was nice. It had a long 8-inch barrel. A great way to enjoy .22 handgunning.

Cobras are really nice. Quite light in weight and six shots too!

"...it was the primary service weapon used by my step-father from 1962-1973..."

Hi dagace; That one may be old enough to have been manufactured with the hollow lug beneath the barrel. I think after about 1964 all Python barrels featured solid lugs. Colt collectors talk of the Pythons with hollow lugged barrels.

PNUT; could that Trooper be fun for range use?

#13 · (Edited)
A matte stainless Colt SF-VI is my current ankle-rig revolver. A blued six-inch Python was the first firearm I purchased (in 1981). I also own a four-inch satin stainless King Cobra and a six-inch .44 Magnum matte stainless Anaconda. I have carried the King Cobra in the past, and would not hesitate to do so again, especially in colder weather with a full coat. I have never carried the Python or the Anaconda for self defense, but would do so without qualm. All currently are fitted with Hogue Coco Bolo monogrips.

#18 ·
I take them seriously enough to not want to stand in front of one! My present Colts are single action sixguns; I have fired one of them enough to know it works, so if it just happened to be the handiest at a moment in time, I would use it in all seriousness.

I briefly carried a Colt Python as a duty handgun, while my Ruger GP100 was in the firearms lab for ballistic testing after a shooting incident. In the end, however, I just couldn't shoot it as well in DA mode as a Ruger or S&W sixgun, so I traded it off. Yeah, I do NOW wish I had kept it, but I was not a collector back then. I certainly did take that Python seriously, but it was not my cup of tea.

I also had a Detective Special for a while, but traded it after I decided I wanted all of my carry sixguns bigger than a J-frame to be able to chamber .357 magnum ammo. Yeah, I do NOW wish I had kept the Detective Special, but I was not a collector back then.

#19 ·

I carry this 1966 Detective Special on occasion. I can shoot a Detective Special better than I can shoot a Smith & Wesson J-Frame round butt. The Detective Special hides just as readily as the J-Frame and holds six rounds.

The Official Police (shown top here) is a nice rugged revolver. Mine was a NYPD gun and dates from 1953. It'd make a great household defense revolver if loaded with +P 158 grain SWC-HP .38 Special ammunition. I occasionally carry this one holstered in the field, on hikes and such. Official Police revolvers like this one actually share the same action design as the Python and are just as smooth. In this world of modern automatic pistols these are sometimes overlooked. They're still useful and fun to shoot.

Reactions: rugerista
#21 ·
I carry my Anaconda every year when I go deer hunting.

And, while it wouldn't be my first choice in a SD situation...I keep the speedloaders next to it in the safe stuffed with 210 Silvertips. I have no doubt that it would do just fine.

And it is a fun range toy.

#22 ·
My only Colt currently is a Police Positive in .32 S&W (".32 New Colt Police"). I bought it as a collector's piece/trail gun/fun gun. Trigger pull is a lot heavier than the comperable Smith (I-frame .32 Hand Ejector), but it's sturdy and so far has been a lot of fun.

I toted one of the Det. Spl. types about for a bit (the Agent, I think, ...s'been a while ... only done in Parkarized finish with black rubber grips). It was fine, but I always wound up going back to a J-frame type 5-shooter for carry (then usually back to a semi-auto).

The other Colt's I've handled and fired all seemed sturdy, dependable, and accurate enough. But they do seem a wee bit pricey.

#23 ·
I had a beautiful stainless 4" Anaconda that I had to let go about ten years ago. I carried it on road trips, when hunting and kept it stoked with 240gr. Hornady XTP spl. for home defense. It had a buttery smooth DA pull. When I sold it, I got a whopping $350 for it! If I knew then what I know now...
Jack

#24 ·
I'd love to have one, but by the time I was old enough to buy pistols, the prices on them were high compared to comparable revolvers from other manufacturers. If I could find a good deal on one I'd jump on it though.

#25 ·
Colt revolver

I have the Colt Lawman MKIII 357mag with the 2" barrel. I only recently retired this gun to my safe after my wife wanted to get her ccw. We tried all types of guns and what she liked the best was the Glock 9mm's. I got her the Glock 34 for range and target shooting and the Glock 26 for her carry gun. I wanted to be consistent with all of our serious guns so I also have the Glock 34, which I really like shooting, the Glock 17 for the nightstand, and I also carry the Glock 26. I took the Colt to the range the other day and remember how much I enjoy shooting that gun. I would have no hesitation on using this for serious work except being built on a 41 frame and all steel it is on the heavy side. I sure got a lot of comments on the revolver, my range officer friends had not seen it before and were really impressed with its looks.

Attachments

#26 ·
Might as well show off my Cobra (again) made in 1963:

I once owned an 8 inch Python with Elliason sights, (it was my IHMSA standing class gun,) along with a 2nd generation SAA in .44 Special and a 2nd generation Detective Special with 3 inch barrel (both were quite rare.)

Sadly, these 3 are all long gone, now...:frown:

Reactions: oneshot
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.