S&W 1911PD Range Report- Good and Bad

This is a discussion on S&W 1911PD Range Report- Good and Bad within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well I purchased my first 1911 in a long time and she is a beauty! I had fully intended to get a "non black" gun ...

Thread: S&W 1911PD Range Report- Good and Bad

S&W 1911PD Range Report- Good and Bad

Well I purchased my first 1911 in a long time and she is a beauty! I had fully intended to get a "non black" gun this time but that is not what came home with me yesterday

Well today I picked up 500 rounds and decided to put it through the paces before carrying (M&P 45c as my EDC) and/or turning over as a home deffense weapon.

I put 400 rounds through it and they really did not bode well for the reliability factor...well it's fixable anyway. About 11% of the shots would fail to load all the way I believe that it is a small bur on the feed ramp. I know I could send it to S&W but I am just going to have my local smith (who is VERY good) polish the feed ramp which is a mod I wanted to do anyway as I think that it is a bit on the rough side.

Other than that issue the gun is phenominal!!!! I was shooting a 1.5" pattern at 25 yards freehand and that is a full 1" better than my full size M&P45. I am hoping to get into some bullseye shooting and I think that this will be a great gun to do it with. I still prefer my M&P for plinking as it just fits my hand extremely well but the 1911 is a blast to shoot.

My first impressions-
    Sight picture- Great for stock sights, no complaints
    Fit and finish- Absolutly top notch! On par with guns in the 2-3k range.
    Egronomics- All fine except the slide release, to far forward but a non issue as I slingshot it anyway (better practice I believe)
    Ease of maint- Middle of the road here...I am spoiled with my M&Ps or Glocks but still not bad. Not to tight, yet no slop...easy to maintain overalll.
    Accuracy- This is where it shines...VERY pleased thus far, 1.5" group at 25 yds with range ammo...VERY pleased!
    Trigger- Crisp and very short reset...still waiting for full breakin but it pulled between 3lb 14oz and 4lb 15oz after only 50 rounds! No complaints...I am looking forward to playing with it as time and the brass adds up.

Price- I would say that overall it is a bargain. There are cheaper 1911's out there but you get what you pay for plus WAY more with this gun...felt better than a number of MUCH more expensive guns.
    Attached Images
    Pray for our nations leaders!

2. Remove Ads

Nosights, that gun is a looker. I am sure you will work out the FTE issue, no sweat. Comes with the territory. I haven't been bitten by the 1911 bug yet. However, my brother says he has an old GI 1911 he doesn't want so that joins the family soon. Not sure it even works but looking forward to receiving it nonetheless. Are you going to carry this gun?
    NRA, IDPA, GSSF & GSSA member
    Certified Glock Armorer

Great choice

I picked up one of these after renting one and it's a great gun. Have not had feeding/firing issues with mine.

Would you care to name your smith in West Michigan? I have a couple items that I want to have worked on but have not found anyone here yet.

Hotspur
    West Mi

I am pretty new to the 1911 thing myself, and one thing I learned is that they like to be run "Wet." Did you clean and esp. lube it before your range trip? Also, what kind of ammo are you using? Some 1911's need a few hundred rounds of hardball before they get good and broken in.

VIP Member
    Very nice looking.

VIP Member
    But she shore is purdy!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Nice gun!
    Expecting a carjacker or rapist or drug pusher to care that his possession or use of a gun is unlawful is like expecting a terrorist to care that his car bomb is taking up two parking spaces.-Joseph T. Chew

Quote Originally Posted by drs1457 View Post
    Are you going to carry this gun?
    It will not be my primary carry but yes I will carry from time to time. I am building it as a comp gun as well as my nightstand friend.

Quote Originally Posted by Hotspur View Post
    Would you care to name your smith in West Michigan? I have a couple items that I want to have worked on but have not found anyone here yet.

Hotspur
    West Mi
    I use Dan at Silver Bullet in GR. He is honest, reliable, reasonable, does good work and stands behind it. He has flat out told me he would not recommend a mod but would still do it if I wanted...I like that sort of honesty.

Quote Originally Posted by bradktn View Post
    I am pretty new to the 1911 thing myself, and one thing I learned is that they like to be run "Wet." Did you clean and esp. lube it before your range trip? Also, what kind of ammo are you using? Some 1911's need a few hundred rounds of hardball before they get good and broken in.
    I ran the gun PLENTY wet. I even stripped it down, cleaned it and liberally relubed it after 200 rounds into the 400 I did yesterday.

I ran Fiocchi, Magtech and American.

Nice looking pistola...just add light and she's ready for HD...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Nice gun! I'm not a big fan of rails, especially on 1911s but if it's not going to be your primary carry I guess it doesn't really hurt anything. Might actually help if it'll be pulling bedside duty.

I'm not sure who makes the mags for S&W but that base pad looks a lot like some ACTs I have. You might try some different brands to see if that solves the feed issue: Wilson, CMC Powermags, Metalform, etc. maybe you've just got one of those finicky guns that prefers one brand over another.

I keep looking at the S&W models when I go to the gun shop. I might have to pick up one of their Commander models at some point just to give them a try. Maybe a scandium lwt for carry ... hmmm.
    Jack

Quote Originally Posted by maclean3 View Post
    Nice gun! I'm not a big fan of rails, especially on 1911s but if it's not going to be your primary carry I guess it doesn't really hurt anything. Might actually help if it'll be pulling bedside duty.

I'm not sure who makes the mags for S&W but that base pad looks a lot like some ACTs I have. You might try some different brands to see if that solves the feed issue: Wilson, CMC Powermags, Metalform, etc. maybe you've just got one of those finicky guns that prefers one brand over another.

I keep looking at the S&W models when I go to the gun shop. I might have to pick up one of their Commander models at some point just to give them a try. Maybe a scandium lwt for carry ... hmmm.
    Jack

It is at the smith now and I won't keep a gun if it is so picky that it only shoots select ammo. If it is the mags...well same as the ammo thing, won't keep it if that picky. I don't think that is the issue, I will know tomorow or monday.

ALSO, I picked up a light today as well (T2)

Nice gun!
    NRA Member GOAL Member
    Glock 26
    Glock 27
    Sig Sauer 226
    Beretta 21 .25
    S&W1911

Check the extractor tension. Often they are too tight on a new gun and just need a tweak. Common cause of miss feeding in a brand new 1911. Once tweaked they are good to go for a long long time.

Quote Originally Posted by cphilip View Post
    Check the extractor tension. Often they are too tight on a new gun and just need a tweak. Common cause of miss feeding in a brand new 1911. Once tweaked they are good to go for a long long time.
    Well, I found that the extractor is to sharp on the bottom edge (knife sharp) and I believe once it is smoothed slightly I will be shooting 100%. Every spent casing has marks in the brass where you see the ejector dug in.

The smith missed this but then again he did it for free and I asked him to polish the feed ramp which is what he did.

Links