Any thoughts on the S&W 4516-2?

This is a discussion on Any thoughts on the S&W 4516-2? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Bought a S&W 4516-2 as primary carry CCW, Combined with a Bianchi IWB (with thumb break), it seems like a great and very concealable pair. ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By dagace
  • 1 Post By ghost tracker

Thread: Any thoughts on the S&W 4516-2?

Bought a S&W 4516-2 as primary carry CCW, Combined with a Bianchi IWB (with thumb break), it seems like a great and very concealable pair. Welcome any comments on the performance of the 4516-2. Its mt first S&W, and just thought i could get some info from a couple of you guys out there.
    CLASS3NH likes this.

Those are a very nice gun. I like the 4513...too. The Smiths are generally built like tanks. You probably wont regret.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Senior Member Array TheGreatGonzo's Avatar
    Excellent choice, in my opinion. Mine is one of my favorite carry guns. Easy to conceal and very soft-shooting. Some people complain about the weight, but I carry one in a good holster/belt combination under shorts and a polo with no problem.
    Gonzo
    "Skin that smokewagon!".

I don't have a 4516, but I have both a 4566 and a 4586. I wouldn't hesitate to bet my life on either. I have found S&W steel frame third generation autos to be the most reliable pistols I have ever come across. Every one I have ever had would feed empty cases just as reliably as FMJ ammo.

Load a mag with fired .45ACP cases and cycle them through, I'd be surprised if the 4516 didn't feed every one.
    -Landric

"The Engine could still smile...it seemed to scare them" -Felix

I have one almost NIB. I might have fired it once or twice since I bought it new, never carried. I rather carry my 1911's or Glock 36, as they are much lighter. Just make sure you use MAGs with the correct followers on the 4516-2.

Congrats! You have there, possibly the finest DA compact 45 made.

Before I bought mine, I shot all the 45 compacts out there. Sig, Kimber, Colt and Glock. The 4516 was the most reliable, 100%, and a tack driver too. Enjoy yours! Regards 18DAI.

Quote Originally Posted by dagace View Post
    Bought a S&W 4516-2 as primary carry CCW, Combined with a Bianchi IWB (with thumb break), it seems like a great and very concealable pair. Welcome any comments on the performance of the 4516-2. Its mt first S&W, and just thought i could get some info from a couple of you guys out there.

Awesome CCW I've however changed from Bianchi OWB to a custom molded holster from Gunnr's tactical it's made carrying at both 4 and 5 much more comfortable.

Quote Originally Posted by dagace View Post
    Did ya get it at KTP by any chance? If you did, I had it tucked away, but decided I had to have something else I couldn't live without.
    BTW....The 4516-2 is a GREAT handgun. Built like a Tank, and VERY reliable too.
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

3rd Gen S&W center fire autoloading pistols are, and will continue to be, among the most under-rated defensive handguns in the world. Me, I'm a BIG fan of the 3913!
    ETXhiker likes this.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

3rd Gen S&W center fire autoloading pistols are, and will continue to be, among the most under-rated defensive handguns in the world. Me, I'm a BIG fan of the 3913!
    Me too. Only reason I can figure they quit making them, is that the manufacturing costs got too high. Sweet guns. Congrats!
    "There are some ideas that are so wrong, only a very intelligent person could believe them." - George Orwell

Links