Defensive Carry banner

Kel Tec P-11 Problems

15K views 19 replies 14 participants last post by  chains1240 
#1 ·
I have only shot about 300 rounds through this pistol but I have had it for a few years. First the pistol has never locked the slide in the rear position when the clip was empty. And I have had one or two FTF in just about every clip. I recently removed the IWB clip from the pistol but I could not find my plastic body pins so I purchased another clip so I could use the steel pins that have round head screws. I also replaced the spring guide rod with a steel one, all from Kel-Tec. I have not shot the pistol yet, I am going to do that today. But with my two clip I fed 50 rounds through the pistol by racking the slide. These were JHPs. I have several FTF and a FTE that caused a bullet to jam into one that was already in the barrel. Any idea what may be going on here? Weak magazine spring? Lemon? Not only am I going to fire this pistol at the range I am also going to fire the Glock 19 I am eyeballing. The only reason I carry a pistol is if I have to defend myself against being killed, it is unlikely I will be able to do that if after the first shot I have to use a P-11 as a hand weapon.

#5 ·
KelTec will make it right...call them, and then send that sucker off.:yup:

#6 ·
Kel-Tec probably has the best customer service of any firearm manufacter, call them and they will fix it.

#7 ·
Unfortunately in the last move I lost my receipt. But I fired it today at the range and it fired great. Before taking it out I cleaned it real good and put 2 drops of Otis cleaner/Lubricant on the slides. Shot like a dream.

#9 ·
So you've got about 300 through it and thats a good break in number for sure. As was mentioned, cycling by hand is never a good measure of performance. JHP's or FMJ's? Do both jam? What grain?

Wost case scenario you give it a trip to Florida and it comes back perfect.

Im all about the P11.

OK change that. Wost case scenario for you is it doesnt get fixed and I buy it from you for a very low price LOL

Seriously, Keltec will make it right.

#10 ·
I had a P11, and it as nothing but problems. It would stove pipe, and have FTF problems as well. On top of that, the trigger would wear blisters on my finger. I had to wear Band-Aids on my trigger finger of the right and left hand just to qualify with it for my CCW. It was so bad that I couldn't depend on it in an emergency. Since that was the reason that I bought it, I wasn't pleased. I ended up selling it back to the dealer for half what I paid.

#11 ·
I was shooting JHP because there are no 9mm rounds available around here so that is all I had. I hope I do not have any more problems because like I said I lost the bill of sale. For some reason I didn't staple it to the owners manual like I do with my power tools. And the owners manual says that you have to have the bill of sale for repairs.

#12 ·
i got two p11 and never had any problems with either of them. it could be a mag problem it the slide is not locking back. call kel tec and they help you with the problems..and/or they might want you to send it in to them. either way they will fix the gun. you don't need a bill of sale to have the gun fixed by them. they have send me parts for my p32 and p3at on a phone call.

#15 ·
KT customer service is fantastic, I can tell you first hand. I called and told them about my stovepipe problem. I was told of a bad batch of extractors. They sent me the new extractor and pin in a few days. Installed and now it runs great. For some reason, the greene and white box Remmington 115 grain hollow point runs the best. Win White box is the worst in the gun.

#17 ·
I had to send a P3AT back to Keltec. I actually broke the frame trying to install the side clip. Anyway, they fixed it up and gave me a new frame, very quickly. That being said, keeping looking hard at that G19, you wont be disappointed in that at all.

#19 ·
I have two p-11s that I no longer use. Not to say they aren't great weapons but my kimber stole my heart. The main issue I found with these pistols is the sensitivity to certain JHPs. I had originally bought Federal Hydra-Shoks but the flat nose made it not feed. Hornady TAP did the trick. Also, I can't seem to hit anything with them anymore. I suppose my .45 spoiled me.

#20 ·
Called Kel-Tec about the plastic frame pins, as I suspected they are going to send them to me for free. Since temporary putting the steel belt clip on the pistol so I could use the assembly bolts this pistol has shot flawlessly using Winchester white box JHP.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.