.45 GAP vs .45 ACP Differences

This is a discussion on .45 GAP vs .45 ACP Differences within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; What is the difference between these two calibers? Which one would have more/less recoil? Which one has been around longer? Thanks....

Thread: .45 GAP vs .45 ACP Differences

.45 GAP vs .45 ACP Differences

What is the difference between these two calibers? Which one would have more/less recoil? Which one has been around longer? Thanks.
    Glock 26 9mm CCW - - S&W 642 Super Tuned - - Remington 870 18.5" 12GA 6+1

2. Remove Ads

.45 acp has been around longer. .45 gap is dying a slow death and it only still around cause a few agencies are still using them. Its really hard to find ammo for and when you do find it its super expensive. I would say with the amount of good .45 acp handguns out there stay away from .45 gap.
    ‘‘To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them.’’

— George Mason

Distinguished Member Array fotomaker57's Avatar
    I got rid of my 45 GAP and switched to 45ACP a couple of years ago due to the difficulty of finding ammo. However I have noticed that there seems to be more of the GAP available on line lately than the ACP. But I would stick with the ACP over the long term. I could not tell a bit of difference in recoil between the two.
    Mike
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
    Thomas Jefferson

VIP Member
    The .45 ACP has been around for 105 years. The .45 GAP has only been around for about 7 years. It turned out to be one of those "great idea's" that didn't pan out. It was never really embraced by the shooting world and is dying out slowly. Finding the ammo is hard to do, and if you find it you will pay a premium price for it.

Glock tried to mimic the idea of the 10mm versus 40 S&W. Lots of folks liked the 10mm toned down a bit. S&W (and Winchester, I wanna say) decided they could produce the same lower power 10mm ballistics in a shorter case, fired from for a smaller pistol. It worked, and the 40S&W took the US by storm.

Glock looked at the 45ACP, and saw that with modern powders, the case capacity was a waste, and designed the shorter GAP load. They wanted to steal away some of the ACP market like the 40S&W did against the 10mm.

Problem was, the 10mm swap to 40S&W made a smaller pistol easy. As of now, every pistol I've seen that fires a 45GAP is just as big as the 45ACP version. Had Glock all the sudden had 45ACP ballistics in a pistol the size of a small 9mm, I think it would have done better. But since the GAP didn't shrink the pistol, all you have it ACP versus GAP in the same pistol. The old addage of "stick with what works" did the rest.

As I see it, pretty much the GAP is as good as a lower performing ACP. Recoil and all other measurables would be similar. But, the ACP is easily "hopped up" with fast burning powders and +P loads. Even up to the 45 Super (with improved brass and recoil system), if you wish. The GAP is what it is, and will always be as such. It's going the way of the dinosaur and the Edsel.
    Washington Post 06/28/2010 re: Supreme Court Decision
    "The court's decision means that the enigmatically worded Second Amendment... identifies an individual right to gun ownership, like the freedom of speech, that cannot be unduly restricted by Congress, state laws or city ordinances. "

Distinguished Member Array CDW4ME's Avatar
    Why the 45 GAP? The 45 GAP allows for a 9mm/ 40 size frame but with a 45 bullet.

I did a quick price check (all are currently out of stock):
    Ammoman listed Speer Lawman 230 gr. 45 acp @ $199 for 500 rounds delivered. Federal 45 GAP was $199 as well.
    Midway: American Eagle was $22.99 in 45 acp versus 24.99 in 45 GAP.
    If you do a little shopping, similar ammo prices can be found for the acp and GAP.

As far as agencies using the GAP according to 45GAP Review/test: New .45 GAP Cartridge for 9mm/.40 S&W Pistol Frames

"23 Law Enforcement Agencies have bought Glock 45 GAP pistols, including North Carolina Sanford Police Department (Glock 37, Winchester 230-grain SXT; Georgia Fulton County SWAT Team (Glock 37, Winchester 230-grain RA45GT); Louisiana Office of State Parks purchased 90 G.A.P. Pistols; Piedmont Triad International Airport --- Autopistols 2006.
    Alabama, Madison Police Department -- Glock 37 & 38
    California, Huntington Park P.D. -- Issued Glock 37/Win. Ranger 230 and G22/Win. Ranger 165 only
    Colorado, Denver Police Department -- Glock 37, 38, & 39
    Georgia State Patrol
    Kansas, Burden Police Department -- Glock 37
    Indiana, Evansville, Vanderburgh County Sheriff's Office -- Glock 37 & 38
    Michigan, Reed City Police Dept -- Glock 37
    NC, Greenville Police Dept -- Glock 37
    New York State Police (5,400 Glock 37's replacing their current Glock 17's)
    Pennsylvania State Police
    South Carolina Highway Patrol
    Wyoming, Powell Police Department -- Glock 37
    "

I like the Glock 38 & 39 45 GAP as well as the model 30 in 45 acp.

Chronographed velocities:
    Glock 30 45 acp: Remington 185 gr @ 917 fps, Federal 230 HS @ 807 fps
    Glock 38 45 GAP: Winchester 185 gr. @ 908 fps, Winchester 230 JHP @ 788 fps
    Last edited by CDW4ME; April 10th, 2009 at 02:52 PM. Reason: more info

VIP Member
    IMHO the GAP was a solution to a problem that didn't exist. At a recent gun show a local dealer had a stack of GAP ammo that he almost literally couldn't give away. No demand.
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

Quote Originally Posted by CDW4ME View Post
    As far as agencies using the GAP according to 45GAP Review/test: New .45 GAP Cartridge for 9mm/.40 S&W Pistol Frames

"23 Law Enforcement Agencies have bought Glock 45 GAP pistols, including North Carolina Sanford Police Department (Glock 37, Winchester 230-grain SXT; Georgia Fulton County SWAT Team (Glock 37, Winchester 230-grain RA45GT); Louisiana Office of State Parks purchased 90 G.A.P. Pistols; Piedmont Triad International Airport --- Autopistols 2006.
    Alabama, Madison Police Department -- Glock 37 & 38
    California, Huntington Park P.D. -- Issued Glock 37/Win. Ranger 230 and G22/Win. Ranger 165 only
    Colorado, Denver Police Department -- Glock 37, 38, & 39
    Georgia State Patrol
    Kansas, Burden Police Department -- Glock 37
    Indiana, Evansville, Vanderburgh County Sheriff's Office -- Glock 37 & 38
    Michigan, Reed City Police Dept -- Glock 37
    NC, Greenville Police Dept -- Glock 37
    New York State Police (5,400 Glock 37's replacing their current Glock 17's)
    Pennsylvania State Police
    South Carolina Highway Patrol
    Wyoming, Powell Police Department -- Glock 37
    "
    That's figures from 2006 though. How many of those agencies have given up on the GAP and switched to something more readily available?
    Jack

edit: I agree with Gunbunny, it's the answer to a question that was never asked. Gaston simply tried to carve out a new niche for himself and misread the market demand.

The .45 GAP came along to allow officers to shoot a .45 cal bullet out of a gun with the ergonomics of a smaller 9/40 frame. Never cared for it myself, and I'm a big Glock guy.

BTW, the 10mm to .40 S&W transition mentioned above is pretty close. Instead of wanting "more power" as in the .38 Spl to the .357 Magnum, the 10mm proved to be too much gun for some so, they tuned it down. I think the only reason it became popular is because it is a middle of the road catridge and a balance of power and capacity. Never cared for that round much either.

The GAP is a good cartridge (did I really say that?), the problem is that it doesn't really fill much of a need. Yes, the GAP fits into a 9/.40 frame (but with a heavier .45ACP thickness slide). A Glock 37 holds 10+1 of GAP and has a 17 sized frame with a 21 sized slide. The S&W M&P holds 10+1 of .45ACP and has a thinner slide. .45ACP ammo offers a lot more choices, and up until recently it was much cheaper than GAP ammo. Not really a hard choice there.

However, for a handloader, GAP brass is widely available once-fired (and pretty inexpensively), uses the same bullets as the .45ACP, and small pistol primers. If one handloads ammo will never be a problem provided one stocks up on brass while its available. For a non-handloader the ACP makes a lot more sense.

I've shot the GAP, it seemed to have about the same recoil as an ACP, perhaps with slightly more flip and snap due to the somewhat higher pressure.
    -Landric

"The Engine could still smile...it seemed to scare them" -Felix

Distinguished Member Array TerriLi's Avatar
    GAP also tended towards light grain rounds, now ballistics is not an argument I want to start, but I perfer the ACP for that 230grain hollowpoint.
    I know not what this "overkill" means.

Honing the knives, Cleaning the longguns, Stocking up ammo.

Gaston wanted his name on a round.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    Just my guess, but if the GAP had preceded the .40 S&W, it might have taken off as a great success.

One consequence of the hoarding and rush on ammo, is that high-demand cartridges such as the .45 ACP and .40 S&W are out of stock at many places that will still have plenty of .45 GAP, .38 Super, and .357 SIG available. Y'all can "read" that however you wish.

Other than my local gun shop, .45 GAP, .38 Super and .357 Sig have pretty much always been a mail order item. I've never seen any of them in a Wally World or other big box store in my area - same goes for .44spl. too though, I guess they're all considered too "exotic" for the box stores.

I don't care anything about the GAP round (or the .40 S&W for that matter) but the rest are pretty interesting for what they offer ... and I REALLY like the .44spl.

Every time I decide to consolidate my calibers I end up buying something that expands them again. Yeah, I've got a 396 Nightguard on layaway.
    Jack

Links