Defensive Carry banner

Does such a thing exist...

4K views 44 replies 31 participants last post by  ExSoldier 
#1 ·
I would love to support the American economy by buying a quality American pistol/s for ccw. I define this as parts and assembly being done in the good, old U.S. of A. Is there such an animal on the market or is that an unrealistic expectation? Thoughts and input welcome.

#7 ·
Before we get out of hand...Springfield is a USA company, but most (all?) are made elsewhere. My XD, for example, was made in Croatia. I believe that many (most?) listed here are similarly actually made overseas. The Keltec is actually manufactured in FL.

#9 ·
Before we get out of hand...Springfield is a USA company, but most (all?) are made elsewhere.
Negative.

Springfield imported the original version of your XD (the HS2000) from Croatia. I believe its the only gun that Springfield imports .The rest are produced here. The plant is in Genesco,Illinois.

Glock has had a factory in Smyrna, Georgia since 1983 to produce guns here.

Ruger has at least 2 plants, one in New Hampshire and Arizona.

Sig builds most of its gun in New Hampshire and imports some from Germany.

Colt still builds handguns in Hartford,Connecticut.

Kimber is located in Clackamus,Oregon.

It seems that there are still alot of companies that produce handguns located here in the U.S.

Are we still getting out of hand?:scruntiny:

#14 ·
Negative.

Springfield imported the original version of your XD (the HS2000) from Croatia. I believe its the only gun that Springfield imports .The rest are produced here. The plant is in Genesco,Illinois.
Springfield 1911s are assembled here, but major components of are NOT US made. Not sure if any of them are. Of course, all XD's are Croatian made, stem to stern.

Don't know the situation on their long guns.

American made guns I have:
Remington 870 shotguns and .22 Fieldmaster
rifle.
Ruger SP101 revolver and 10/22 rifle.
Charter Arms .38
Kahr PM9
H&R .22 revolver
Cobra .38 derringer

Foreign made:
Mossberg Plinkster .22 rifle
2 XD 9mm's .

- OS

#11 ·
Dont forget the new guy on the block, SCCY. They only make one gun right now, but its a polyframe for CC, 9mm 10+1 mags. I have a friend that has one and he loves it. Also a Florida weapons manufacturer. They also are pretty fair in price.

#12 ·
Sccy, in Florida.......Oh wait! You meant guns....not Paper Weights!

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Sorry, TerriLi...I missed your post. Not high opinions of Sccy, having had two..........

Rohrbaugh made in USA too.

#13 ·
Just counting handguns we own: Ruger, Colt, Les Baer, USFA, S&W, Seecamp, Kahr, Kel-tec, North American Arms, and SIG. Yes, SIG, which, depending on the model, has more USA-made parts than many "American" products.

The last Springfield 1911 I owned was assembled in the USA, which does count for something, but the major components were made in Brazil. The XD is definitely of Croatian origin.

I personally own more Rugers and USFAs than anything, and both of these company's current products are 100% made in the USA. USFA did start out using imported parts, but shifted to making their own parts in-house.

To drift into long guns, we have Remington shotguns, and rifles made by Ruger, USRAC/Winchester, Marlin, and my AR is a Colt upper on an S&W lower, with Rock River and JP Enterprises internals.

Our only totally non-USA handgun is a Walther PP. Our only non-USA rifles are Miroku and Rossi lever rifles.

#24 ·
In buying firearms, at least these days, I look for the one that fills my need rather than point of manufacture. That has always been my credo. If it's what I need and happens to be made in America, great.

My ammo is always going to be American, though.

I was shooting Magtech and it cost me a bulged barrel on a Sig P226 from a squib. A client was shooting the gun and didn't catch the telltale HISSSSS before he re-chambered and fired a full power load. A costly but effective lesson. Never again. But with an ammo company that is out of the country as is the case with Magtech, you'll never get any relief. Not even an acknowledgment of an issue.

I've had 50 light strike "failures to fire" in 38sp from Magtech, all within the last year. IMO that's too many, especially from a single manufacturer.

#29 ·
Product Service - Newport, NH

Service and sales inquires for Shotguns, Revolvers, 22 Charger Pistols and all Rifles except Police Carbines.

Sturm, Ruger & Co., Inc.
Product Service Department
411 Sunapee Street
Newport, NH 03773

Telephone: 603-865-2442 / Fax: 603-863-6165
(Monday through Friday 8:00am - 5:00pm EST)
Product Service - Prescott, AZ

Service and sales inquires for Police Carbines and all Pistols excluding the 22 Charger Pistol.

Sturm, Ruger & Co., Inc.
Product Service Department
200 Ruger Road
Prescott, AZ 86301

Telephone: 928-778-6555 / Fax: 928-778-6633
(Monday through Friday 8:00am - 5:00pm MST)

#36 ·
I would love to support the American economy by buying a quality American pistol/s for ccw. I define this as parts and assembly being done in the good, old U.S. of A. Is there such an animal on the market or is that an unrealistic expectation? Thoughts and input welcome.
I'm shocked that nobody mentioned the Beretta 92fs (and variants), made in Maryland, and in vast quantities for the U.S. military and hundreds of thousands for LE agencies, not to mention civilian sales. It is still a very good pistol... it may be a little large for concealed carry, but that's another subject and it's certainly possible.

#41 ·
Not quite....

Once again, by strict viewpoint: Beretta is not an "American" owned company. I own the M92FS and although it's not my favorite carry gun, I certainly wouldn't feel "under armed" in a tight spot. It's one of my favorite IDPA guns and the action is butter smooth. Never an issue with malfunctions (largely due to the cut out slide), NEVER. I love mine.

#39 ·
I have a Ruger and a S&W myself. But my EDC is a Glock and my wife's is a CZ. I feel like the OP -- I would rather buy 100% American. But that is getting harder and harder to do. And for CCW, my feeling is that you need to buy what works best for you -- your life (and the lives of others) may depend on that purchase. So you need what shoots best in your hand and is most reliable in your hand.

That being said -- ALL of my ammo is 100% American. My next gun purchase (probably this fall) will be an AR-15 (provided it is still legal given the current political climate :frown:). When that happens I will certainly be buying a 100% American gun -- probably a S&W -- though I haven't fully decided yet. And I am also planning to put 100% American laser sights on my Glock and my wife's CZ.

Oh yeah -- and my 19-year old daughter is carrying a nice American Taser.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.