Whats the best concealed carry method in your opinion

This is a discussion on Whats the best concealed carry method in your opinion within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; All very good opinions in this thread. Myself, I carry IWB at 1:30 strong-side when I am out and about. At home, I switch to ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Whats the best concealed carry method in your opinion

All very good opinions in this thread. Myself, I carry IWB at 1:30 strong-side when I am out and about. At home, I switch to either a 4:30 carry IWB or I just toss my XD into the useless OWB XD-Gear holster that came with the gun. The chepao XD-Gear is fine for bumming around the house.

Look at all the options. Check out numerous holsters and opinions on them. It might take a few holsters to get the "wonder-fit" you are looking for, but it's certainly worth it to find the right one. I'm comfortable with my Desantis for now, but I'll be looking into a nice leather IWB this summer when I order one for my wife.
    Firefighter/EMT
    "You've never lived until you've almost died. For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected will never know" - T.R.

<----My LT was unhappy that I did not have my PASS-Tag at that fire. But I found the body so he said he would overlook it. :)

2. Remove Ads

a few months ago I would have said IWB or OWB, but recently I have been fond of the shoulder holster.

I have been carrying concealed for many, many years. Over those years I have learned that there are a number of variables involved in successful concealed carry and these variables are active and interactive. Among them is the gun, its size, the holster, the belt, your clothes, the location of the gun, your comfort, the opportunity to draw, your body build, and so on. I have never found a formula that I could apply such that the result guaranteed me a safe, reliable, successful, stable, easily drawn, concealed carry method. For me it has been a matter of experimentation (trial and error too) until I got it just "right". So, when folks post here asking "what's the best holster", or, for that matter, what's the "best" anything I just smile. There just is not much that is a priori the best. Takes some hunting to find out what's best for you.
    GOOD SHOOTING
    ALWAYS PROTECT YOUR VISION AND HEARING
    De gustibus non est disputandem

Assistant Administrator
    Takes some hunting to find out what's best for you.
    Therein DairyCreek lies the road (well trodden) to the infamous holster box/draw

IMO it is inevitable - no way to know what works so often, without trying. That said - a good custom rig from one of our elite leathersmiths will most certainly tend to reduce the problem
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Definitely, the only way to find out is to try every different method you can think of. If you are anything like me, you won't find a way that satisfies you completly. There are drawbacks to every method of carry whether it be concealment, comfort, or draw related. You just have to find a good balance between the three.
    I'm married to my Kahr.

First, be comfortable. All this crap about "a gun is supposed to be comforting, not comfortable" is just that: CRAP. What use is an uncomfortable gun? You know the gun you don't wear because you would rather take your chances than carry that hunk of crap out with you on your belt for five minutes. A gun has to be comfortable to carry for at least 6-8 hours if not more. A comfortable gun will be with you when you need it. Period. A comfortable gun that you are comfortable with is the key here.

Second, practicing may lead people to believe they need heavier guns to soak up recoil. Some shooting sessions are said to last to upwards of 500-600 rounds. Reminds me of my buddy who bought a .458 Win Mag for an Africa safari and ran 100 rounds of "get a feel for its handling" kind of session all at one time. Bruised shoulder and couldn't go on the trip. Now if he had taken the time and shot maybe five rounds or so every other ot third day for a couple weeks, he would have been better off. The point is these Ironman sessions pounding out holes in paper while standing knee deep in brass is fun for some, but not practical nor good for conditioning or training. Keep it practical. You will have your own limits, but I keep mine to under 200 usually. I do that twice a month and I am confident I can make the shots needed if needed. Lighter is more comfortable.

When my taxes get here, I will be carrying a Kimber Pro Carry 4" 1911 with an aluminum frame in 10mm and will be using normal 10mm loads, like as in 135gr @ 1600fps and 180gr at 1250fps. Will I shoot 500 round sessions with it? No. That is not its purpose. It is a carry gun first and foremost. If I have to shoot someone, I could care less how much my freaking gun weights. It won't even be anywhere in my mind. Guanentee it. I will run enough ammo through it to break it in to know it is reliable and the practice enough to keep on target and make sure I can make shots when needed.

Ok, rambling done. Most people will find that IWB (inside the waistband) or OWB (outside "" "") is the most comfortable. I prefer IWB. Keeps the gun close and I can 'feel' it against me, knowing I am protected. OWB is only in certain instances when my attire allows, such as heavy jacket and outdoors a lot. Most of the time I carry strong side IWB at about 330-400, or on the side belt loop area or just behind it. You might have to move it around a bit for comcort and concealability.

Hope this helps, I apologize for my ramblings.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

I would rather carry OWB but I usually end up packing in my in my IWB. I dont mind IWB but its a lot easier on car rides to go OWB. What ever works for you is best really.
    CCW is not only a right its a responsability.

Joe

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links