Whats the best concealed carry method in your opinion

This is a discussion on Whats the best concealed carry method in your opinion within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I will soon be recieveing my CHL in a month or so and know little as of yet as to how I will carry. What ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: Whats the best concealed carry method in your opinion

I will soon be recieveing my CHL in a month or so and know little as of yet as to how I will carry. What are the different options? I will be carrying a Ruger P89 (may downsize in the future and use that as a truck gun) starting out. I'm about 6'2'' and 190 lbs, tall and lanky. Most likely I wont carry every day all day as I'm a painter and also a university student and cant carry at school. I also don't need my guns painted up either.
    BenGoodLuck likes this.
    "Arms in the hands of citizens (may) be used at individual discretion...in private self defense..." -John Adams, A defense of the Constitutions of the Government of the USA, 471 (1788). MOLON LABE!

Nathan, you'll get a myriad of oppinions on this and this is just mine. I've carried both inside and outside the waistband and depending on attire, size of gun and so on I've found both ways have their place, but one constant I always follow is carry on your strongside. For me the optimal position is about 4 0' clock. Strongside is best in my oppinion for access to weapon and weapon retention. Just my .02

Assistant Administrator
    Nathan - at risk of being awful boring - it is and probably will be - ''what works for you''

That is not a cop-out - quite simply our builds, day-to-day lives (work etc) and our choices therefore re dress etc - all play a huge part.

I am lucky - I work at home - I dress casual (wife says scruffy sometimes LOL) - but this allows me to have a suitable cover garment of choice (geared to carry) almost at all times. Always strong side BTW.

So - my method is solely for most part - 3.30 OWB - and a good long shirt to cover, invariably unbuttoned - occasionally I do resort to other ways. I can and do carry full size all the time - hardly tho what some guys could manage in an office!!

You may well have to assess re your build and clothing options and move on from there - sorta refine down what you might manage.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Can't find link for the minute but I did post a thread not long ago - with a diagram showing body shapes and how I felt they could alter folk's choices. If I find that I'll come and add it.

Here ya go - it may give you some thoughts re your body type - maybe!

http://www.combatcarry.com/vbulletin...ead.php?t=6794

`
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Lead Moderator
    P95 is right. not all methods work for everyone. For me it depends on what I am wearing. Cold weather will find me with a OWB , warmer t shirt weather IWB.

OWB when I can get away with it, but 99% of the time it's an IWB, a method I prefer overall and consider best for concealment. In my case it's a SIG SP2009 in a Comptac Gurkha at 3:30-4:00.
    BenGoodLuck likes this.
    http://www.myspace.com/sgeringer
    SIG SP2009<>XD45 4"<>S&W 638-3<>GLOCK20<>Mossberg Mav88

All Depends on you for me 95% of the time its IWB every now and then ill carry owb or shoulder holster
    BenGoodLuck likes this.

As has already been mentioned, the best method is what works for you. This will take some trial and error, unfortunately, but there are a few universal points:

-Start buying your shirts, sweaters, sweatshirts, etc. a little bigger. Once you start to carry you'll need a little extra room. Try to stick to darker colors or at least fabrics that have some sort of design that will distract the eye from any momentary bulges.

-Buy a sturdy belt if you're going to carry on your waist. Since you're in school, I'll assume you aren't rolling in cash. A good, reasonably priced belt is the Wilderness Instructor's belt. See:http://thewilderness.com/catalog/default.php/cPath/3
    The three or five stitch models are fine - I'd stay away from the Combat Shooter's Model because it is stiffer than you need unless you're hanging a LOT of stuff on your belt.

-Buy a good quality leather or Kydex holster; stay away from the cheap generic nylon holsters.

-Most people, including me, recommend that you avoid Small of Back (SOB) style holsters. There's a great potential for back injury if you should fall or be knocked down on your back with the weapon against your spine.

-If you have the cash, a quality belt, mag pouch, and holster combo from a custom maker will serve you well and last a long time.

Living in AR, I'd suggest starting with an Inside the Waist Band (IWB) holster, considering the warm weather. These tend to hide a little better than OWB, which will give you a little more flexibilty with your outer cover garment.

Of course, YMMV. Check out the holster section of this and other forums for more ideas.

Good luck.

SSKC
    BenGoodLuck likes this.

Lead Moderator
    All seems to have been said, the one thing I would stay away from is SOB carry since it's a risk to you.
    BenGoodLuck and ExSoldier like this.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Distinguished Member Array snowdoctor's Avatar
    The best concealed carry method is the one that is most comfy for you.
    BenGoodLuck and Goldy49 like this.
    ----DOC-----

--people ask why I carry, and I show them this picture. I think it says it all.--

NRA Certified Instructor--many disciplines

Senior Moderator
    The one that cant be seen...

Distinguished Member Array LenS's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns
    The one that cant be seen...
    AND is comfortable for you, given the clothing, your build and the particular gun!

There is no "magic bullet" here. Too many variables to give more than general answers. That's why most of us have boxes of holsters that we've tried.

VIP Member

Concealed Carry Methods

I'm relatively new at this, so consider the source. I got in my DeSantis E-Z Rider II this week and have been wearing it everyday. No one has noticed anything different. I work in a college situation as a reference librarian and I have always had various things hanging from my belt. Evidently having another thing hanging on the belt is easy to accept. I also carry an attache case and until I got the E-Z Rider II in I carried a large leather case that has compartments on both sides. It was designed to hold a laptop computer on one side and other things on the other. The laptop side has leather straps to secure the cover. The other side has velcro closures. I was carrying the pistol in the laptop section while waiting for the E-Z Rider II and as soon as I got it in I swapped to a smaller attache. People who see me think the E-Z Rider is a day time or carrier for a palm pilot. At least this seems to be the opinion. Since I went from the big attache case to the small one they think I just got a new way to carry.

I chose the E-Z Rider for several reasons. I have worked in IT and have carried meters and tools on my belt so another item on the belt was not an obvious change for me. In fact I already had a cell phone on one hip. The E-Z Rider was more my style than a fanny pack. The E-Z Rider uses the same paddle to secure it to my pants as the DeSantis paddle holsters use. This makes it easy for me to put on and take off, but makes it almost impossible for someone else to remove. There are other belt packs available, but I did not find any that used a paddle except this one. DeSantis makes them in two sizes. It also carries my spare magazine. I wear it at about 10:30. This makes it accessible from the strong (crossdraw) and the weak side. In my practice with it I have used the weak (left) had to unzip to about half way down the side and have drawn with the strong hand. It works quite well. Although using the weak hand to draw is not as easy, it is not difficult.

As has been said before you have to find what is comfortable for you. I tried several things and with my geek reputation from IT involvement and my reference librarian job (only reinforced the geek reputation) no one thinks anything of me having another computer, palm pilot, day timer, tool, meter etc attached to my waist. It works for me.
    BenGoodLuck likes this.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

Distinguished Member Array fed_wif_a_sig's Avatar
    Just know for sure, that you too will end up with a holster drawer. Your just like the rest of us, always searching for the perfect holster, and for some reason we cant be happy with the one rig we have used for years. Its why we still buy and buy and shop for the next, newest holster. Have fun and there is alot of advice posted above that is awsome, but ultimatly it will be what works for you.
    ExSoldier likes this.
    Steve
    "Respect all ... Fear none!!!

Nathan,

I can't carry right now. I have 9 months until I'm 21. But I have started to search for my ideal way to carry right now so I'm good to go in Nov and I have been wearing the holster/gun around the house. I will carry a GLOCK 26 on my strongside (right). I'm 6'0 175lbs so we are of similar build. I wear my pants a little low so I find I cannot comfortably carry in the front. The 4:00 to 5:00 position works best for me (just behind my hip to slightly right of the center of my back). I can sit comfortably and this position doesn't print very much.

As for the equipment I used to think a Galco Skyops IWB holster would work but I quickly discovered my shirts would hang up on the clip and the leather made for a slower draw and impossible to reholster 1 handed (My 1st holster for the draw). I did some research and decided to go with a kydex holster. I just got my Comp-Tac C.T.A.C. slide holster in today and wore it for several hours. Check out their website www.comp-tac.com. It was very comfortable and weapon draw is quick. The holster is very stable and can easily be configured to meet you carry style. I know I've only had it for 1 day but I know this is the holster for me. I currently use just a normal 1.5" leather belt and found that it worked just find but I might switch to a real gun belt in the future. I kind of like www.ligerproducts.com.
    Ped3612 likes this.

It's been stated well so far by everyone. I'll add that I favor discretion, comfort and opportunity -
    "To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them."
    George Mason

"Gun control is a job-safety program for criminals."
    John R. Lott

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links