Felt recoil 9mm .40

This is a discussion on Felt recoil 9mm .40 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I know there may be a million variables in this question but on the off chance that someone may be able to help I am ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Felt recoil 9mm .40

Felt recoil 9mm .40

I know there may be a million variables in this question but on the off chance that someone may be able to help I am posting it. I have narrowed my search for a pistol down but now I am considering a .40 instead of another 9mm. Another forum member mentioned diversifying calibers and it makes sense since I cannot buy any 9mm in my town now but there is plenty of .40 on the shelf. For those of you that have fired 9mm and .40 through the same model pistol is the felt recoil so much that it made you uncomfortable? Is it just a little snappier? Any thought would be greatly appreciated.

2. Remove Ads

I've been a .40 fan for some time now. I've tried it and 9mm on a few different platforms over the years. For the most part, the felt recoil has been negligible (although there were some were it was very noticeable), although much of that has to do with the manufacture and balance of a particular gun line. Of course, I'm saying this knowing going in that there's obviously slightly more kick with a more powerful cartridge. Hope this helps.
    NRA member
    GrassRoots GunRights SC member
    Walther PPS .40 / KelTec P3AT

It's definately snappier but that should make you feel better if you're going to use it for carry instead of a 9mm weapon. The recoil is certainly nothing like either of my 357 magnums. Regarding 40 caliber I would not want to shoot it out of a compact. My EDC is a Sigma 40ve and it's recoil is very manageable. Ditto for the full size Bersa in 40 that I used to have. What guns are you considering?
    "You have to answer for Santino, Carlo. You fingered Sonny for the Barzini people."

Thank you. I have herd this from people and read in this forum that some even prefer the .40 over 9mm in some platforms. One of the owners at the LGS that I go to carries a S&W M&P Compact in .40 and he is going to let me shoot it. He likes the .40 over the 9mm but he also preferred it in the Glock too so he may just prefer it period. I figure if I do not like the .40 I can at least get a taste for the ergonomics of the M&P and decide if I was to buy it in 9mm.

Quote Originally Posted by kdallen View Post
    I've been a .40 fan for some time now. I've tried it and 9mm on a few different platforms over the years. For the most part, the felt recoil has been negligible (although there were some were it was very noticeable), although much of that has to do with the manufacture and balance of a particular gun line. Hope this helps.
    That's pretty much it. Sub compacts compared to compacts or full size pistols also makes a difference in felt recoil. Once you have made your choice for concealed carry, you work with it, learn it, and become one with and proficient with it......none of this should matter.

Ive shot the glock 26 and glock 27 back to back, and i really couldnt tell much of a difference in the two. pretty much the only input i have here, hope it helps

My experience with 40s and 9s in subcompact models is that the 40 has a much sharper recoil. It is for that reason and the cost of ammo that I've migrated back to the 9.

Quote Originally Posted by mutumbo View Post
    Ive shot the glock 26 and glock 27 back to back, and i really couldnt tell much of a difference in the two. pretty much the only input i have here, hope it helps
    +1, I agree
    ‘‘The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose.’’ — James Earl Jones, Actor

While small subcompacts handle 9mm and 45 very well (from my experience). The 40 light sub compacts tend to have much more muzzle flip. Just my experience.
    Be careful what you wish for. You just might get it ......

KAR
    Quote Originally Posted by mutumbo View Post
    Same here. I was shooting my Glock 26 and the guy next to me let me shoot his 27. Really couldn't tell a difference.

I carry a Kahr P9 most of the time. I also carry a SA XD40 sc. The .40 cal is a little snappier then the 9mm, but not too much for my liking. On the upside for the .40 I have found that ammunition is generally more available at my local Walmart than the 9mm.

kpw
    Owned a bunch of .40s and similar 9s. I can tell a difference. Like the others have said, the .40 is snappier. Neither caliber is going to beat you up, though.

I have had my strong side wrist reconstructed, thus I really notice differences in recoil. I can shoot a 9 or 45 all say. I don't have problems shooting 10mm or 357 Sig for extended sessions. I can hardly make it through a box of 40. It is snappy and has a good deal of torque with it. Glocks seem to be the worst offenders. It is the torque that really does the damage.

The first 40 I had ever shot was an HK.

I didn't like it, but that may have had something to do with the load I was shooting as well. I was shooting the 155 Grain Border Patrol load, which is known to be a little "snappy".

Fast forward about four years and I shot the same load in a High Power and didn't mind it a bit. I noticed a definate difference in the felt recoil impulse. It was such a difference that I went out and bought a 40. Of course I bought a High Power. I liked it so much I bought two of them.

Now I'm a fan of the 40 in certain loads, and in certain guns. I prefer the 180 Grain loads over the 155's, but YMMV. Everyone is different as to what the recoil feels like. I am a fan of keeping guns in different calibers in case you can't find ammo in your "preferred" caliber. Thus I would get a 40 if you already have a 9mm or two.

Another advantage to the 40 is the versatility. You can drop in a 357 Sig Barrel, or change barrels and magazines and shoot 9mm. One of my High Powers will most likely end up getting a .357 Sig barrel fitted to it and the other one will get a 9mm conversion barrel. That way I can shoot all three calibers.

I could do this with just one of the guns, but I prefer not to because I will have a Gunsmith doing the conversion and I believe that it will be better fitting the guns for one conversion than trying to fit one gun to three different calibers. I already know that one of the guns won't convert well to .357 Sig, so that's a moot point for me.

I hope this helps you.

Biker

I have a medium size .40. It is a quick snappy type of recoil. Not unpleasant though. In a Kahr or something lightweight, I can't say. However, I can say the recoil is far less than a .357 mag in a full size revolver. Perhaps comparable with +p 38spl in a snubby. Not bad overall, but some increase over the 9mm. I don't think enough to make a difference in shootability, but that's JMO.
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links