Questions for anyone who owns a Bersa 380 or 9mm

This is a discussion on Questions for anyone who owns a Bersa 380 or 9mm within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm considering getting either the Bersa 380 or Bersa 9MM, and I had a few questions: First the 380, - How many rounds have you ...

Thread: Questions for anyone who owns a Bersa 380 or 9mm

Questions for anyone who owns a Bersa 380 or 9mm

I'm considering getting either the Bersa 380 or Bersa 9MM, and I had a few questions:

First the 380,

- How many rounds have you fired from your gun and what if any malfunctions have occurred?
    - How easy are replacement parts to find?

Now the 9mm

- How many rounds have you fired from your gun and what if any malfunctions have occurred?
    - Is the gun concealable when wearing a plain t-shirt and jeans? ( the standard model, not the Ultra compact version)
    - How easy are replacement parts to find?

2. Remove Ads

I ordered a Bersa Thunder CC two months ago from the local gunshop. I was hoping to have it within five weeks. Instead, I find out that because of "back orders" I might not see it for six months, maybe a year ... who knows.

Think about that before you buy a Bersa. If you don't buy one that is immediately available, all you have done is spent money and gotten nothing in return but an IOU.

I have the Thunder CC model and have shot probably 300 plus rounds without any memorable malfunctions. However, the slide lock is a bit weak and the slide will close when I eject the mag. Not an issue for me. Very thin gun and a real value for the money. After I got mine a couple years ago for approx. $239.00 then they became scarce. Beware of the even more scarce spare magazines. I hope this helps. john

I have several thousand rounds through mine Bersa .380 Thunder, I've never has any type of mal-function. IE FTF or FTE
    "The 280z, is more like a skittish, half broken bronco, that requires constant attention, challenges your driving ability and will literally ride the driver hard and put him away wet."
    -Hybridz.org

Can't tell you about finding replacement parts for the .380 because I have never had any problems with mine. I have the Thunder 380 plus and it is a great little shooter, when you can find the ammo.
    ‘‘The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose.’’ — James Earl Jones, Actor

We have two of the compact 9s in the family, and probably a thousand rounds through them. They have always been 100% reliable and accurate. The only parts we've bought were extra magazines, and they were easy to find.

I don't carry mine, but it would be no harder to conceal than any other compact 9, or in your case, full size pistol. As far as the .380, I want one (or several), but the budget is a bit tight these days.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

TGC
    I bought a Bersa Thunder DLX about 2 years ago. I long ago lost count of how many rounds I've put through it...no malfunctions at all. In fact, it is the most reliable gun I have...that includes my Kimber Ultra Carry .45 and SA Mil-Spec .45. ( I just bought a XDm9 and so far it is doing great so I have no problems with it either). As for parts, I have no idea because I've never needed any. And apparently I'm one of the lucky ones, finding extra magazines has not been a problem....they are expensive though. My Bersa was the most "bang for the buck" I've ever gotten when buying a handgun. I'm very happy with it.

I have a BT380 and have fired some 800 - 1000 rounds through it with no malfunctions except for a few feed failures in the beginning. It was during the first 200 rounds and breaking it in with good ammo and some Militec-1 solved the problem. I have not had to buy any parts for it but a few people I know who have, had no trouble getting them.
    JimH
    Kentucky
    S&W 442, Bersa 380, S&W 9mm M&P, Springfield XD40c
    Member: NRA, USCCA

I've had a Bersa model 83 in .380 for a few years now.

In the beginning, I had a few FTF, but it smoothed out after a few boxes of ammo. Then, the trigger spring broke. I didn't mess with it for over a year, and then I ordered the new spring. I think it was about $1.50, and I took it to Gander Mountain and the gunsmith fixed it up in about 15 minutes.

I've put about 100 rounds through it since, and it's worked great. Probably the most accurate handgun I have.
    Eat a moose... 50,000 wolves can't be wrong.

I have a Bersa 9mm Ultra Carry. It is quite easy to conceal (holsters made for the Glock 19 fit it well). I have fired several hundred rounds, and it has NEVER malfunctioned. Spare magazines are expensive, but I have never had trouble finding them (Bersa .45 magazines on the other hand can be very hard to find).
    Earth is the insane asylum of the universe!

Try :: Bersa Talk :: for more information
    When a Government become ultra concerned about its citizen's guns its time to beconcerned about the Governments long term plans Me

I have a BT380 that has never had any problems except with Fiocchi ammo,and I am fairly positive it is an ammo problem because it want cycle through any of my 380's, I also have the 9 mm and it has been problem free with any ammo, I trust my life to these two pistols almost everyday and would not be afraid to shoot them against any other factory production pistol on the market, I also own Ruger, Smith and Wesson, Kel Tec,Rossi, and a few others and the Bersa perform just as good as any of them. Buy a new Bersa and dont worry about parts, even if in the rare case you do need them the bersa's have a lifetime service contract to the original owners.
    Well You Boys Gonna Pull Them Pistols, Or Whistle Dixie.

Thanks for the info everyone! I thought I would have to buy a gun for the security licensing course, but it turns out that the firm I'm applying to has their own training program. So there goes my excuse to buy a gun

I got the thunder 380 in january; had to send it back b/c of a well known disconnect spring issue, since then its been rock solid 1000K plus rounds through it. Very accurate and I like it better than the PPK on many levels. .380 is a little underpowered, so i tend to carry a 45 more.

Exclamation My 2 cents...

Don't know about the .380 or the 9mm...but I got a Bersa Thunder 45 that I picked up used and I carry it concealed when the weather gets warmer and I want to travel light.

It's a well made, reliable weapon.
    SHOOTER13
    ================
    DoD: Peace thru Superior Firepower

Links