J-Frame hide easier than compact 9mm?

This is a discussion on J-Frame hide easier than compact 9mm? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I got my permit to carry in November so it has always been colder since I began carrying. I carry a H&K P2000SK IWB. I ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: J-Frame hide easier than compact 9mm?

I got my permit to carry in November so it has always been colder since I began carrying.

I carry a H&K P2000SK IWB. I have a Beltman belt and HBE Com III.

Now that there has been a few days I can wear my summer shirts I notice it's harder to hide my H&K from printing. I could buy larger shirts but I'd rather not.

Would a S&W J-Frame like the 642 hide easier IWB than my H&K P2000sk does?

I know I could get a PM9 and pocket carry but I don't want to spend the money on a PM9 and it seems to be a love or hate thing for that gun. I also don't want to use a pocket because I have other things I use my pockets for.

My primary carry is a Glock 23, but I had the same problem as you carrying in the summer. The glock grip would print in summer time shirts carried in Comp-tac c-tac IWB. I looked at lots of guns for a bug and summer carry and ended up buying a J-frame 637 airweight. I also carry it in a c-tac. I have been very pleased with the J-frame. It prints much less with the smaller grip and you have the dependability of a wheel gun at a mere 15 ounces. You still cant wear tight T-shirts, but I have had no problem concealing in normal short sleeve summer shirts.

I carry a j-frame in the appendix position canted about 20 degrees or so. It cant be seen. I would imagine crossdraw would be invisible too. As wormy said no tight t-shirts. Im 5'8" at 170 lbs. So a large t-shirt is all I need.
    Current collection: Too many according to the wife...

I rearranged how I carry my daily "stuff" to make room for a 642 in my RF pocket. It's what I carry about 90% of the time. A J-frame in the pocket is an almost fool proof way to CCW. It's almost impossible for anyone to detect, requires no adjustment or consideration WRT reaching or bending or using a public restroom, and it can be a fast draw because you can unobtrusively get a firing grip on the gun any time your "spidey senses" start to tingle. The only negatives, as far as I can see, are that it's hard to draw from sitting, and how to carry a reload.

Senior Member Array Freedomofchoice's Avatar
    The simple answer is yes...a J-frame is much easier to conceal than a compact 9. I pocket carry my S&W 642.

Too light for heavy work, too heavy for light work!

pb

VIP Member
    +1 on the J frame. The small grip size and rounded countours break up hard lines well, so that if there is any printing, usually, it is only momentary and not distinguisable as anything.

Distinguished Member
    I've got to weigh in on this having discovered what folks have known for decades; A J frame is the ticket. I also carry the 637 in a Comp-Tac. The Shirt Tucker model. Allows me to tuck a tshirt in, and fairly deeply, over gun and holster. About 5 o'clock and that takes a little getting used to though not much. Rides comforatbly, no problems sitting, etc. You're aware that it's there, which is a good thing, but that's it. No printing. Get a couple of Speed Strips and you're good to go. I love mine. That model is less than handsome but IMO, the best that S&W makes for CCW.
    Savage Heartland

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?

Kahr MK9

There is one compact 9mm that conceals as well or better than a J frame on the belt, and that is the Kahr MK9. The MK9 has a 3 inch barrel and the same "two finger" grip length as a J frame with boot grips. Capacity is 6+1 in the MK9 compared to 5 in the J frame. It also is flatter than a J frame, being 0.90 inches thick across the slide flats, and about 1.00 inches thick across the grip panels. I carry mine in appendix position with a Comp-Tac 2 O'clock holster.

Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

The Kahr will definitly conceal easy, but at almost twice the cost of a 637 j- frame. And the j-frame will go boom when most of the pocket 9mm have had feeding issues.

Quote Originally Posted by wormy View Post
    The Kahr will definitly conceal easy, but at almost twice the cost of a 637 j- frame. And the j-frame will go boom when most of the pocket 9mm have had feeding issues.
    No experience with the pocket 9s but will agree the J frame is easy to conceal and is very reliable.

I can't slip my Kimber Ultra in my front pocket, but I can slip my S&W 637 in my front pocket rather easily...so your answer is 'yes'.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Give a SmartCarry a try for your H&K. I do the switch in summer from a MTAC to SmartCarry keeping my EDC the M&P40c the same. You need a 642 anyway it's a great BUG.
    While people are saying "Peace and safety," destruction will come on them suddenly, ... and they will not escape. 1Th 5:3

I have a couple of j-frames, as well as a Ruger SP101, and have to disagree a little bit about concealability. Well not as much disagree as offfer a caveat: J-frames work great for certain kinds of carry for certain people. For me, pocket carry means either cargo pants or a jacket pocket. For any kind of holster carry, a slim single stack will print less for me than a j-frame; that cylinder is hard to hide. I don't care for appendix carry, and I haven't really tried cross-draw, so your mileage may vary, but for me snubbies are only part of the answer.

Any J frame is easy to conceal in poket carry, then put a couple of speed loaders in a small camera pouch on your belt weak side

Distinguished Member Array CDW4ME's Avatar

Smile

J frame Smith with Barami Hip Grip is easy to hide, sits deep, printing isn't an issue. Pocket is available for P3AT or LCP.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links