Ruger SP101 opinions

Ruger SP101 opinions

This is a discussion on Ruger SP101 opinions within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I think I want a Ruger SP101. Anyone have one they carry regularly?How does it carry? Would it conceal easy IWB? Im used to carrying ...

Thread: Ruger SP101 opinions

Ruger SP101 opinions

I think I want a Ruger SP101. Anyone have one they carry regularly?How does it carry? Would it conceal easy IWB? Im used to carrying a J-frame, would the weight diffrence be very noticeable?

Quote Originally Posted by wormy View Post
    I think I want a Ruger SP101. Anyone have one they carry regularly?

Used to...

How does it carry?

Very nicely. See pic.

Would it conceal easy IWB?

Yes.

Im used to carrying a J-frame, would the weight diffrence be very noticeable?

Noticeable yes, unpleasantly so, no.

- OS

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar
    I absolutely love the SP101 for its construction. I believe that the SP101 is built solidly enough to hold together and do the job for GENERATIONS. I have a 2.5" barrel 357 in stainless, with the spurless hammer. Sure, it's of substational weight, but I consider it to be a great carry gun. I've used primarily a homebrew version of the SmartCarry, and it concealed perfectly in the appendix position.

My feelings may be a reflection of my tendency to overengineer things (using a 4x4 when a 2x4 would do, for instance); it is quite possible that a lighter gun would last as long. But a steady diet of 357 ammo through the SP101 wouldn't worry me in the least. And it is fun to shoot.

Details of the homebrew SmartCarry: warning - graphic content! The Dunlap secures the SP101, yet I found it very quick and easy to reach inside the belt to draw. The spurless hammer and general 'roundness' of the design makes it surprisingly comfortable, too. (I do not recommend using this with a standard pistol: it poked my delicate little tummy quite badly).
    Attached Images
    Recently updated website: http://www.damagedphotorepair.com

VIP Member
    I think I want a Ruger SP101. Anyone have one they carry regularly?How does it carry?
    I bought my daughter one. I then bought myself one. I may buy myself another one.

I've carried mine in a SmartCarry, a front pocket, OWB, and sometimes a shoulder holster. It rides well in all those ways.

Would it conceal easy IWB? Im used to carrying a J-frame, would the weight diffrence be very noticeable?
    Not sure I can help you there: I've never carried mine IWB. My guess is that if you've got a good IWB setup, I don't think the small amount of added weight will make a difference.

It's a fine gun which can be carried in many ways. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

I have an SP101 and love it they are great guns indeed. They carry well I carry mine IWB or OWB depends on clothing. As for the weight to me they weight about as much as a steel J-frame S&W snub. Overall a good small,easily concealable weapon you can depend on.

VIP Member
    Yes. I carry a 357 2 1/4" SP 101 in a UBG Canute. Easy to conceal and carry.

UBG Holsters

I mostly carry a RAMI 40 S&W, but about 20 % of the time the SP-101.
    21 years and 21 days, United States Marine Corps.

The line of hard men willing to rain violence on our enemies so you can sleep warmly and safely in your bed at night continues. That's what we do. Semper fi.

NRA Life Member since 1972

I have a Ruger SP101 .357 Magnum 2.25" barrel and LOVE it!!

I love my 1911's more though.

Luke
    "For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life."
    John 3:16

NRA Life Member

I love mine. Built like a tank. I also have a S&W 642. While the weight is noticeable, it's nothing to worry about. I carry IWB and have never had a problem. It's a great choice for a snubbie!
    God Bless America!!

I have one with the 3 1/16" barrel; it's a good gun, but ... It's the same size and weight as my G23, but thicker (cylinder), and 1/3 capacity. I carry my G23.

I just bought one with the 3 1/16" barrel. I'm currently negotiating the with the 10-day kidnappers for a hostage release on Tuesday. (Where are the Navy Seals when you need them - Oh yeah, they're in Somalia ) I'm going to go put a few rounds through my new baby this week. I'll let everyone know the results afterward.

I have the 2.5" 357 stainless/spurless with the laser grip and must say I love to carry it. It is a little heavy and kind of a challenge to hold it up while taking a leak but is very comfortable in the Crossbreed supertuck IWB.

As for shooting it I wish I could get a little better site for it and I need to adjust the laser but then again that is why I went down and put some rounds through it to get a good feeling of how I want to adjust it and will be going back again this week for another round at the range:-)

I would buy another all over again and consider getting a GP-101 to compliment it.

I carry mine every day I have the 2.25 DAO spur-less, carried OWB covered with a t-shirt and do fine. The weight? Well it weighs less than my 1911 So weight never bothers me, I like that I know it's there.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

USN 78-82/USAF 82-93 Medically Retired
    Desert Shield/Desert Storm
    DAV Life Member
    NRA Life Member

I've been circling one of these at the gun shop, I don't think that I'll be able to resist much longer.

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    I think I want a Ruger SP101. Anyone have one they carry regularly?How does it carry? Would it conceal easy IWB? Im used to carrying a J-frame, would the weight diffrence be very noticeable?
    (1) Yes, daily.

(2) It carries quite well, several ways. IWB, OWB, pocket, ankle. At the moment, I have one on my ankle. (I know, I know, ankle holsters are slow to access. There is a P229 on my hip, another P229 under the counter, and a Mini-14 two steps away; jewelry store security booth.)

(3) Yes. I know how to conceal a 4" GP100 IWB, so an SP101 is easy.

(4) Noticeable, yes, but in my opinion, largely irrelevant. It depends on how you plan to carry it. My J-frame leaves the safe once or twice a year.

In MY hands, which are large, but equipped with mostly medium-sized fingers, and short pinkies and thumbs, the SP101 is ideal; almost as small as a J-snub, but large enough to fill my hands like a service/duty weapon.

I own three 357 SP101 snubbies, and just recently acquired yet another in the longer 3-1/16" length. I also have one chambered in .32 H&R, with a 4" barrel. Great little fiveguns!

Sponsored Links