Gifting an old military Colt 1911

This is a discussion on Gifting an old military Colt 1911 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey friends, My brother wants to give me an old Colt 1911 that someone gave him several years ago. He lives in Ohio and I ...

Thread: Gifting an old military Colt 1911

Gifting an old military Colt 1911

Hey friends,
    My brother wants to give me an old Colt 1911 that someone gave him several years ago. He lives in Ohio and I don't. Does anyone know the right way to transfer ownership? The gun is probably unusable and I want to see if I can get it going again. Can he just give it to me or do I have to involve an FFL?
    Thanks a lot.
    Thanks
    NRA, IDPA, GSSF & GSSA member
    Certified Glock Armorer

2. Remove Ads

Senior Moderator
    To legally transfer the ownership of a firearm across statelines you need to involve a FFL
    Sometimes I wonder who the old man in the mirror is....

Lord, Grant me a good sword and no need to use it.

VIP Member
    Not being familiar with the laws in Ohio or South Carolina I would have the transfer done through FFL dealers to avoid any legal problems. Just have him ship it from an FFL dealer to a dealer near you, you will have to pay shipping and transfer fees but that is cheaper than breaking any laws.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Photos will be appreciated.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Administrator
    Just an off topic addition: BEFORE you do anything to an old COLT 1911 - you would be wise to carefully research what dollar value it has in its present unrestored condition.

Often times you can get much more money for an old original condition 1911.

A 1911 that you think might be in terrible cosmetic condition but, will actually be extremely valuable to a Colt collector - up into the many thousands of dollars.

You can easily destroy the collector value completely if you do anything at all to it in the way of restoration or refinishing.

So....check it out first before you do anything.

Old Colts are HIGHLY collectible and desirable in their original condition.

Post good PICS when you get it.

We have some incredibly knowledgeable Colt firearms members here.

Forum member OD is one of them.

He can suggest that you either "leave it alone" or go ahead and have it restored and/or customized.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    Just an off topic addition: BEFORE you do anything to an old COLT 1911 - you would be wise to carefully research what dollar value it has in its present unrestored condition.

Often times you can get more money for and old original condition 1911 that you think might be in terrible cosmetic condition but, will actually be extremely valuable up into the many thousands.

You can easily destroy the collector value completely if you do anything at all to it in the way of restoration or refinishing.

He can suggest that you either "leave it alone" or go ahead and have it restored and/or customized.
    +1000!!!!!

BTW is it a Colt or possibly Remington Rand, or Ithaca, etc. If it only reads S. Manufacturing Company you've hit the jackpot.
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

Administrator
    You could just about retire on an authenticated, genuine S - SINGER SEWING MACHINE 1911.

VIP Member
    You could just about retire on an authenticated, genuine S - SINGER SEWING MACHINE 1911.
    Same with North American Arms.
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by GunnyBunny View Post
    Same with North American Arms.
    They don't have the collectiblity you might think. They were awarded a contract for 500,000 units on 1 July, 1918, they only produced around 100 tool room examples before the contract was canceled on 4 Dec. 1918. There is no documentation (as of yet) that any of the pistols, or completed parts were ever accepted by US Ordnance personal. None of the authenticated examples have any of the typical US acceptance markings.

Thank you for the kind words, QK.

I have a friend from another forum that has 2 authentic Singers, and he's not BSing, I saw them both at the Louisville show awhile back. They are some of the finest built M1911A1s I have ever seen.

Quote Originally Posted by drs1457 View Post
    Hey friends,
    My brother wants to give me an old Colt 1911 that someone gave him several years ago. He lives in Ohio and I don't. Does anyone know the right way to transfer ownership? The gun is probably unusable and I want to see if I can get it going again. Can he just give it to me or do I have to involve an FFL?
    Thanks a lot.
    Thanks
    He can give you the pistol, face to face, he cannot just ship it to you without going thru FFLs.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OD View Post
    They don't have the collectiblity you might think. They were awarded a contract for 500,000 units on 1 July, 1918, they only produced around 100 tool room examples before the contract was canceled on 4 Dec. 1918. There is no documentation (as of yet) that any of the pistols, or completed parts were ever accepted by US Ordnance personal. None of the authenticated examples have any of the typical US acceptance markings.

Thank you for the kind words, QK.

I have a friend from another forum that has 2 authentic Singers, and he's not BSing, I saw them both at the Louisville show awhile back. They are some of the finest built M1911A1s I have ever seen.

He can give you the pistol, face to face, he cannot just ship it to you without going thru FFLs.
    Our Chief Provincial Firearms Office had a NAA 1911 a few years back that had been seized (for whatever reason) and it went to the crusher!!

Often times you can get much more money for an old original condition 1911.

A 1911 that you think might be in terrible cosmetic condition but, will actually be extremely valuable to a Colt collector - up into the many thousands of dollars.

OK, I will do just that. Thanks for advice.
    Certified Glock Armorer

Oh, good to know. Yes, that's how it will be done.
    Certified Glock Armorer

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by GunnyBunny View Post
    Our Chief Provincial Firearms Office had a NAA 1911 a few years back that had been seized (for whatever reason) and it went to the crusher!!
    That's a shame, I hate to see weapons destroyed simply for being weapons.

Administrator

Wink

So do I. It tears me up. On the flip side of the coin though I guess that is what makes the remaining ones all the more valuable/collectible.
    If all of the old Colt 1911 pistols were all still here in original, untouched condition they wouldn't be worth anything.

Kinda like Beanie Babies.

Then again I hate to see so many fine 1911s under glass in display cases never to fire another cartridge again.

There is just "something" historically priceless and significant about shooting an old slabsides and especially one that has seen a World War...or two.

Quote Originally Posted by OD View Post
    That's a shame, I hate to see weapons destroyed simply for being weapons.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

OD*
    If all of the old Colt 1911 pistols were all still here in original, untouched condition they wouldn't be worth anything.

Kinda like Beanie Babies.
    Excellent point!

Links