.357 Sig Philosophy Sig Sauer P229

This is a discussion on .357 Sig Philosophy Sig Sauer P229 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; For my next pistol, I am considering picking up a Sig Sauer P229 chambered in .357 Sig just to have some variety in my collection. ...

Thread: .357 Sig Philosophy Sig Sauer P229

.357 Sig Philosophy Sig Sauer P229

For my next pistol, I am considering picking up a Sig Sauer P229 chambered in .357 Sig just to have some variety in my collection. I would like to learn more about the round in general.

What is the philosophy behind the .357 Sig and when was it created? What advantages does it have over 9mm and .40 S&W since it seems to be a hybrid of the two? What characteristics make this round unique? (Stopping Power/Penetration/Ballistics)

What are the drawbacks (other than availability)? I have heard complaints about muzzle flash or excessive noise thereby making it a bad choice for close quarters (indoor) self defense. How does the round compare to .40 S&W as far as shootability/recoil?

Any information you guys can provide is greatly appreciated as always. Thanks.
    Glock 26 9mm CCW - - S&W 642 Super Tuned - - Remington 870 18.5" 12GA 6+1

2. Remove Ads

I don't want to post a link to answer your question... but this pretty much sums it up: .357 SIG - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

That said, I wouldn't consider it's availability a drawback at all. It seems to be in stock when 9x19, 45 ACP, 40 S&W, etc. are out of stock. Even at WW.

I am quite fond of the P229 in .357 sig and have shot it enough. It does kick a bit more, but it's not unmanageable. Never had any problems with it. I would be happy to have one as an every day carry. It does throw a lot of flash and report, but that doesn't disqualify it for home defense IMO. Won't any gun will be bright and loud indoors?
    "A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."

It came as an attempt to get .357 mag performance in an auto caliber. It is essentially a .40 S&W casing necked down to accept the .357 bullet. The ballistics are essentially the same as a .357 magnum. The caliber itself is used by many agencies. The US Secret Service just happens to be one....and the Federal Air Marshals. I believe they too both issue the P229. It is balistically a very good round. Our Local Sheriff's Dept. Issues the G31, in .357 Sig. They like the ballistics of the weapon, plus it is a very uncommon handgun round in this area making the chances of somebody being shot with it slim other than LE, and makes officer involved shootings much easier to investigate. It does have a little recoil, but is very manageable...much like a very hot 9mm.
    Also being a derivative of the .40...youcan also get a drop in barrel for a .40 and usually the mags are interchangeable. Hope this helped.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

No idea when or why it was created but it has substantial muzzle energy, and IMHO, is easier to bring back on target than a 40 cal. Probably the flatest shooting round I've ever shot in a pistol and I suspect I could hit a target at 100 yards if need be. It is one of my favorites other than 45 ACP. I haven't noticed substantial muzzle flash over a 40 but it is most likely higher than a 9 mm would have. To me, if the Texas DPS carries it, as well as the Secret Service, it can't be all that bad. Ammo is harder to find and more expensive than 9 mm or 45 ACP but I like the round anyway. Ammo expense isn't that much of a deal killer for me anyway.
    SE Texas Patriot Guard Rider, NRA Patron, TSRA Life Member

How it happened:

9mm advocates, not quite satisfied with their cartridge opined, "If only it could push it a bit faster." Eventually, someone heard that who was in a position to experiment some and, several iterations later, the "9mm Fat" was born. Everything 9mm advocates wanted, with the possible exception of capacity. No more would they have to be the butt of range jokes. Not with these numbers. Now to "get it in a gun." As it turns out, unfortunately, marketers are involved with that process and they were agast at having to build a campaign around something known as the 9mm Fat. People quit. Others retired early. Still others began to drink heavily and/or lose sleep. Nobody will confirm whether the solution found scrawled was recorded in a bedside notebook or on a cocktail napkin, but there it was: ".357 Sig." A three part campaign ensued: (1) remind people of the legend of the .357 Magnum, (2) link their new cartridge with that legend, and (3) obfuscate any arguments contrary to steps 1 and 2. More successful than a niche cartridge though considerably less so than it main competition, the .357 Sig enjoys a certain level of cult-like advocacy.

And all of that is true, No, really, it is. Anyway, that's how I heard it.
    God, country, family.

One advantage that I haven't seen enumerated here is that, because it is a bottle-necked cartridge, it tends to feed more reliably.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

It's an amazing round. but so is most everything else. I am a fan of the 357 sig, but shot placement is most important with any handgun.

Shoot whatever pistol you are interested in, in whatever round you are interested in. I find the 357 sig round plenty fine as far as recoil. Yes, it is a loud round, but I see it as a possible advantage as well.

My advice, find something you feel content with, and practice (and train) often.
    Beretta 92FS

I would say one disadvantage to this round is the cost. It seems to cost twice as much as 9mm. So if spending alot of time on the range is something you are planning, it will certainly cost you. Ballistically, however, I love the round.
    ‘‘The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose.’’ — James Earl Jones, Actor

I just bought four boxes of ammo at 20% off on the sale table. It's not a big seller, therefore there is ammo aplenty. I absolutely love the fact that I can send a 125gr Gold Dot out of the tube at 1450 fps with 584 ft/lb. And I believe the necked down cartridges DO assist in feeding.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

You need a 357 so you'll have something to shoot when the store doesn't have any 9, 40, 45, 400, or 10.

Variety is the spice of life.

I carry the 357 and like it a lot. Though I can't accurately send 3 rounds as rapidly as I can with a 9. Takes just a smidge longer to get back on target.

Senior Member Array threefeathers's Avatar
    I have 4 of them and have decided to use this caliber to defend my family and innocent life.
    Sig 229, Sig 226, HK P2K, Glock 32C. I just put a Crimson Trace Laser on my G-32C.

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    A guy with a P229, originally chambered in .357 SIG or .40 S&W, can obtain a SIG barrel for its counterpart cartridge, and then a conversion barrel, (NOT a SIG factory 9mm barrel) and take advantage of good deals/availability on all three cartridges. Locally, I have found .357 SIG to be slightly more available than .40; never plentiful, but often in stick when .40 was not. Some places charge more for .357 SIG than .40, but other places charge about the same.

I have a .357 factory barrel, but have yet to actually use it. My personally-owned duty/carry P229s are chambered in .40, my employer's mandated duty cartridge, though I can use .357 SIG off the clock if I want, and eventually, I might.

357 SIG is my EDC. It's fun to shoot and it's great for the same reason mentioned here, a barrel swap is all it takes to fire a .40 caliber.

VIP Member
    I want a Sig 229 in 357 real bad.
    Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!

i just purchased a USP -C in .357 Sig and love it, rounds are easier for me to find around town then anywhere online. plus i always say if the round is good enough to protect the president its good enough to protect me
    U/315
    KY Concealed Carry Instructor
    Taser X2/X26 Instructor
    "It is the tradition that a Kentuckian never runs. He does not have to…[he] is entitled to stand his ground, and meet any (life-threatening) attack made upon him with a deadly weapon…." Gibson v. KY, 34SW936(Ky.1931)

Links