Kahr MK9 vs PM9

Kahr MK9 vs PM9

This is a discussion on Kahr MK9 vs PM9 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Anyone had the chance to own both of these, and which did you prefer? I have the PM9 but was wondering if the heavier MK ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kahr MK9 vs PM9

Kahr MK9 vs PM9

Anyone had the chance to own both of these, and which did you prefer? I have the PM9 but was wondering if the heavier MK was easier to shoot, plus you can put CT laser grips on them. I don't think the extra weight will bother me too much when I carry. I've found my PM9 to be a little temperamental.

Also, will holsters for the PM9 fit the MK9?
    Jeff
    NRA Member
    Kimber Ultra Carry II, Glock G23 & G36, Kahr PM9, Winchester 1300 Defender 12gauge pump
    (my favorite but hard to hide)

Holsters are interchangeable for both. I still have an MK9 in the box that I haven't had a chance to take to the range yet. I do have a K9, and it has been 100% right from the get go. I have about 500 flawless rounds through it.

My PM9 has been flawless after the first 100-150 rounds. I have heard the MK9 soaks up recoil better than the PM9, but I am sure you already know that though. Good luck with it if you decide to get one.

Yes sir, I have both (because Im a nut :) ) and I love them both. I started out with the MK9 and I carry it in a Don Hume 721 open top. The 22oz disappears nicely. I just got the PM9 a month ago and its been perfect at the range for 200rds now. I have been carrying it in a DeSantis Nemisis pocket holster. It really works well. I cant say enought good about both of these guns. Oh, and yes, I use the same holsters for both guns. Also, the MK9 is easier to shoot because of its heavier weight.
    Jesus said "and if you dont have a sword (AK), sell your cloak and buy one. Luke 22:36

MK9 comments

I own a MK9 but not a PM9. The MK9 is an excellent concealed carry gun for belt holster, giving you 6+1 rounds of 9mm in a gun that is easy to shoot well because of its 24 ounce weight, smooth trigger and good sights. It conceals very easily because of its thin profile and short grip. It has become my "most discreet" carry gun when nothing else conceals well.

The PM9 has the advantage of light weight for pocket carry, but is more troublesome from a reliability standpoint, based on many owner comments I have read here and elsewhere. My MK9 has been absolutely reliable since I bought it.

Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

Quote Originally Posted by pogo2 View Post
    I own a MK9 but not a PM9. The MK9 is an excellent concealed carry gun for belt holster, giving you 6+1 rounds of 9mm in a gun that is easy to shoot well because of its 24 ounce weight, smooth trigger and good sights. It conceals very easily because of its thin profile and short grip. It has become my "most discreet" carry gun when nothing else conceals well.

The PM9 has the advantage of light weight for pocket carry, but is more troublesome from a reliability standpoint, based on many owner comments I have read here and elsewhere. My MK9 has been absolutely reliable since I bought it.

Nice looking grips. Now if only Crimson Trace made their grips with wood like that!
    Jeff
    NRA Member
    Kimber Ultra Carry II, Glock G23 & G36, Kahr PM9, Winchester 1300 Defender 12gauge pump

Mr. Pogo, does the wood grips take away from the incredibly thin frame on the MK9? I really want a set of nice wood grips on mine, but Im afraid they'll make the gun too thick. Any thoughts? Kevin.
    Jesus said "and if you dont have a sword (AK), sell your cloak and buy one. Luke 22:36

Regarding holster compatability...the dust cover on the PM9 is actually larger than that on the MK9. Therefore, if you have a very finely boned holster made for a MK9, a PM9 may not fit. A holster made for a PM9 should almost always fit the MK9.
    A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity.
    -- Sigmund Freud

Quote Originally Posted by pogo2 View Post

I find myself staring at Pogo's gun everytime he makes a post and includes the picture of his MK9. Beautiful.

I have had the chance to shoot both and hold both side by side for a good amount of time. (Also tried switching slides out of curiosity one time, not a good idea, 30 min later we got them apart ) The MK9 is slightly thicker because of the grips. The PM9 when loaded is lighter than the MK9. I still like my MK9 more than my fathers PM9 though. Its just looks so much better . I also have night sights. Side note: Pearce grips are a nice addition.

The PM9 has Crimson Trace Grips on the way any day now (they were supposed to be out the end of last year. Grrrr.....) The MK9 grips replace your current grips with new ones. The PM model mounts on the trigger guard and underneath the end of the gun, similar to the Kel-Tec CT's. Just food for thought.
    Our kindness may be the most persuasive argument for that which we believe.

-Gordon B. Hinckley-

Quote Originally Posted by ezenbrowntow View Post
    The PM9 has Crimson Trace Grips on the way any day now (they were supposed to be out the end of last year. Grrrr.....) The MK9 grips replace your current grips with new ones. The PM model mounts on the trigger guard and underneath the end of the gun, similar to the Kel-Tec CT's. Just food for thought.
    Yeah, I saw that at the CT website. Problem is that the laser guard models make it hard to find holsters. Went through this with my Glock G36, that's why I ordered the internal LaserMax for it.
    Jeff
    NRA Member

Answer to question...

Quote Originally Posted by ak-kev View Post
    Mr. Pogo, does the wood grips take away from the incredibly thin frame on the MK9? I really want a set of nice wood grips on mine, but Im afraid they'll make the gun too thick. Any thoughts? Kevin.
    The wood grips (bought from Kahr) are slightly thicker than the original black plastic grips that came with the gun. However, I don't find the thickness of the wood grips excessive, and they don't seem to affect concealability. Here is a photo of the gun with wood grips in my holster, a Comp-Tac 2 o'clock IWB tuckable:

Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

Thank you sir. I didnt want the grips to damage the "thin and sexy" attributes of the fine Kahr line-up. The guns are so thin it makes concealing them sooooo easy. Thank you again! Kevin.

Quote Originally Posted by ezenbrowntow View Post
    Armalaser may be another option.

Quote Originally Posted by Danimal View Post
    Armalaser may be another option.
    Another laser with holster issues.
    Jeff
    NRA Member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links