G19 v. SA XDm

This is a discussion on G19 v. SA XDm within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Since I already have a 1911, I'm looking for a new, smaller firearm. I want use it as a CC, but also something I can ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: G19 v. SA XDm

G19 v. SA XDm

Since I already have a 1911, I'm looking for a new, smaller firearm. I want use it as a CC, but also something I can use as a duty gun. I've done research and talked to friends and have narrowed it down to the Glock 19 and the Springfield Armory XDm. I'm going to go shoot both this week, but wanted any input from you guys/gals about your thoughts and experiences about either weapon.

Thanks.

2. Remove Ads

Both good guns but you might compare weights and sizes. I think the G19 is a touch smaller width-wise and height-wise as well as a little lighter. Both are quality guns.

The G19 came first, and Glock's the best, forget that XD cause it's like all the rest which would be second at best. Shoot them both and give them your all, in the end it's up to you to make the call. It's awful hard to beat perfection.

kpw
    If your looking for a smaller pistol, the XDm isn't it. It's a pretty big gun. If it's for concealed carry, Glock 19. For a duty gun, both will work fine.

The 19 is about 1/3 lighter.

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar
    The XDm is almost exactly the same size as your 1911 - basically, a full size duty gun. The G19 is going to be easier to conceal, but if you're like me, you can already conceal a larger gun so that's a moot point. Go with the one that feels right (and is in stock!), IMHO there is no bad choice between the two.

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    Neither is my favorite handgun by any means, but I have owned both and the XD is better in my opinion. Glocks just do not feel right in the hands of shooters who are comfortable with JM Browning's handguns. If you like 1911's and Hi Powers you will like the feel, grip angle and pointability of the XD much better. Not sayings Glocks are not good weapons just not for everybody. Mechanically and reliablity wise they are equals.
    When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

Thanks guys...and wow, a poem included.

go with the glock.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

kpw
    Quote Originally Posted by pirate View Post
    Neither is my favorite handgun by any means, but I have owned both and the XD is better in my opinion. Glocks just do not feel right in the hands of shooters who are comfortable with JM Browning's handguns. If you like 1911's and Hi Powers you will like the feel, grip angle and pointability of the XD much better. Not sayings Glocks are not good weapons just not for everybody. Mechanically and reliablity wise they are equals. One thing Glock is best at.......marketing, and sales tactics and undercutting pricing on mass produced guns. Old Gaston has greased more palms than a crooked Chicago politician!
    Not so. After the Glock, my favorites are BHPs and 1911s and I'm more than comfortable with either. I've carried both in the past and probably will in the future, at least some of the time. Lots of us kool-aid drinkers have a lot of admiration for JMB's creations.

Also, does anyone know if the XDm mags fit in the 9mm XD's? I know Glocks can interchange mags of the same caliber.

I carry the G19 in a Maxpedition Jumbo Versipack. I do not have a 1911, but obviously know the long and deserved storied history. I have fed 1000s of rounds through my Glock with no more than a Boresnake cleaning. It goes bang every ... single ... time. I'm sure many of the Glock enthusiasts are familar with this, but I'll post it here anyway. A torture test.

Glock 21 Torture test - Theprepared.com

Glock 19

This one is a no brainer . . . Glock 19 all the way. (I just bought a Glock 26 and have two Glock 19 magazines for it, which would also be an option for you.)
    Glock 26 9mm CCW - - S&W 642 Super Tuned - - Remington 870 18.5" 12GA 6+1

No, XDm magazines do not fit in XD's, and vice versa.
    I have both an XD (9mm) and an XDm (.40) and prefer them. But Glocks have a lot to recommend them. As a previous poster mentioned, the XDm is a larger gun than the Glock 19. Maybe a better comparison would be to the Glock 17. In spite of that, I have no trouble concealing my XDm under a vest.
    "None who have always been free can understand
    the terrible fascinating power of the hope of freedom
    to those who are not free."

Quote Originally Posted by UtahRSO View Post
    Maybe a better comparison would be to the Glock 17. In spite of that, I have no trouble concealing my XDm under a vest.
    So, the 9mm XDm is about the same size as the G17? Huh. Like I said, this isn't strictly for CC. I've also been thinking of using my rebate to get a full size and sub compact....

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    Another thing to consider, you can get a Glock chambered in .40 and for an extra $120 have a 9mm conversion barrel for it. Something like this:

Lone Wolf Distributors - Product Detail
    I have a G19 and would have bought G23 had I considered the conversion.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links