Almost purchased .380 ACP, but

This is a discussion on Almost purchased .380 ACP, but within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I could not find ammo anywhere. Not even cheap practice ammo. So I put off the purchase until I can find some. Anyone have a ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Almost purchased .380 ACP, but

I could not find ammo anywhere. Not even cheap practice ammo. So I put off the purchase until I can find some. Anyone have a similar problem? Very frustrating. Just got my CCW permit, too. Thanks.

Distinguished Member Array Diddle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by guitarplayer View Post
    I could not find ammo anywhere. Not even cheap practice ammo. So I put off the purchase until I can find some. Anyone have a similar problem? Very frustrating. Just got my CCW permit, too. Thanks.
    We are all suffering from the same plague. Little if any .380 around here. And has not been since January.

Craig

It's almost to epidemic stage.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

VIP Member
    Prior to the PPK recall, I was looking at the “CT” version. However, after realizing the 380-ammo paradox, I discarded the idea.
    Regards,
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

I had a guy next to me in the local gun store last week who had just bought a brand new PPK in SS. Very nice handgun but the store only had 3 boxes of top-of-the-line ($25/10rds) hollow points and no target ammo in .380 at all.

He was massively deflated and just kept staring at the empty shelf. Is 9MM Browning an option for all .380 or does it have to be specifically chambered for it? Just curious
    2A is not negotiable

Scarce .380 ammo

I have read many ammo shortage threads lately on gun chat sites, and it seems that .380 is the hardest to find. I don't know why that is true, but it would certainly dissuade me from buying a .380. I have an old PPK in .380, but hardly ever shoot it. The 100 rounds of .380 sitting on my shelf now are probably too valuable to shoot - I'll save them to trade for food when civilization collapses due to excessive government deficit spending.
    Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

Distinguished Member Array phreddy's Avatar
    with regard to the .380 acp shortage, I have heard that it is produced on the same machines as 9mm and the manufacturers have given priorty to the 9mm.

I have a Ruger LCP that I sent off to the Robar Companies to be done in their NP3 finish. I have a couple of boxes of Corbon 90 grain jhps and no practice ammo, and there is none to be found anywhere. I was patiently waiting for my pistol to return so that I could take it to the range, but now with no ammo to practice with, I guess I'll have to admire it in the gun safe instead of my pocket.
    God bless our troops!

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    Yes, this has come up on several forums, and is NOT new. .380 ACP has been scarce for some time. I have read several different theories, including one that indicated .380 is loaded on the same machinery as 9mm, and 9mm is prioritized right now. Of course, that may or may not be true, but I don't worry about it. Our only .380 is a Walther PP, and it is not in active service for now, being deep inside the safe.

Thanks for the responses. Now I know I'll kill the new firearm purchase in .380.

Quote Originally Posted by LeCalsey View Post

He was massively deflated and just kept staring at the empty shelf. Is 9MM Browning an option for all .380 or does it have to be specifically chambered for it? Just curious
    .380 ACP is also known as 9mm Short, 9mm Browning, 9mm Kurz and possibly other names. It is 9X17mm (.355). 9mm Makarov is not the same. It is actually 9X18mm and has a larger bullet (.364). Standard 9mm is 9X19mm (.355).

Hope this helps. I have plenty of .380 for my Colt. "I RELOAD, therefore I Am"

Here's my $.02...

If you already have an EDC in a caliber that you have ammo for, you might consider the .380 purchase if the price of the gun (in question) can be had for a steal for the same reasons one cannot find the ammo.

Don't worry, .380 ammo will be back...get a steal on the gun and hold on.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I have 200 rounds of Remington hollow point .380 and no .380 gun. Saw it and bought it since its so scare incase I do decide to buy an LCP

Distinguished Member Array MinistrMalic's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Here's my $.02...

If you already have an EDC in a caliber that you have ammo for, you might consider the .380 purchase if the price of the gun (in question) can be had for a steal for the same reasons one cannot find the ammo.

Don't worry, .380 ammo will be back...get a steal on the gun and hold on.
    +1. Look for the opportunities now. That applies to real estate, guns, etc. Those who lived frugally when times were roaring can now buy lots with what they saved.
    "...whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one." (Luke 22:36)
    Christianity and Self Defense from a Biblical Perspective

rg

ammo shortage

I've been able to find a little .380, by constantly checking different gun stores, regularly, however I'm down to about 300 rounds of .380, 500 rnds of 9mm., and about 300rnds of 45.acp. I've cut down my shooting time for fear of running out of ammo.
    I just recently bought a 9x18 cz-82 because I found some ammo for it. It's fun to shoot but I'm already getting low on ammo for it.
    I've never reloaded, but am considering it. Is there warranty issues for using reloads in certain small hand guns?

ps Another question, Recently at the machine gun shoot at Knob Creek there was a vendor, "Copes" that had lots Ammo worth the money, he sold out of .380 before I got there. Does anyone know how to contact Copes?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links