Which Way to go?

This is a discussion on Which Way to go? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello, I'm new to the forum and CC. I got my license in the mail the other day and I'm looking at a couple different ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which Way to go?

Which Way to go?

Hello, I'm new to the forum and CC. I got my license in the mail the other day and I'm looking at a couple different guns for everyday carry. I am the most familiar with Glocks. I have shot some friends glock 23 and glock19. Right now I am leaning towards the 23 but also wanted to hear if any of ya'll would think the PPS 40 or Sig P239 would be better. Thinking I will be carrying in a Tuckable IWB holster. Thanks in advance.

2. Remove Ads

All of those are excellent platforms. I carry a G23 due to the fact my agency approves the 22, 23, and 27 for carry on duty. However, that being said, 9mm ammo is cheaper, and overall a little less snappy. A good SD round in a 9mm will more than do the job. The p239 is a nice platform but, only single stack and limited in capacity. I would recommend the G19 or G23, and a good quality IWB rig and gun belt. I regularly conceal mine in a tshirt and shorts/jeans, with nobody the wiser.

Welcome to the forum, from WV...I have friends in Savannah.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Senior Member Array Freedomofchoice's Avatar
    jwhite 75 in his original reply wrote:"The p239 is a nice platform but, only single stack and limited in capacity. I would recommend the G19 or G23, and a good quality IWB rig and gun belt".
    I agree with Mr. White. I have a Sig 239 in 40 cal. and Glock 19. The G-19 with 15 rounds still weighs a little less than the Sig with 8rds.
    The G-19 or 23 (same exact dimensions) would be excellent choices. If you would like to go a little smaller, G-27/G26 is the way to go.

Too light for heavy work, too heavy for light work!

pb

Good choices...

By coincidence I own 3 of the guns you mentioned - G19, G23 and Sig P239 (9mm). I don't know anything about the Walther PPS.

I have a good opinion of all three above, and have compared them closely in size and weight. They are quite similar in height, length and thickness, and the Sig weighs a few ounces more because of its metal frame. I think the decision comes down to personal preference, and how you feel about magazine capacity and the Glock trigger vs. the Sig trigger. The guns all conceal equally well, so you should pick the one you shoot the best and have the most confidence in.

I have tended to use the Glock 23 more than the other two for carry, although I shoot the 3 equally well. I guess I am just impressed by the .40 caliber's ballistics and gel penetration, although the 9mm isn't far behind. The G23 will recoil a little more, of course, but I am used to it. My G23 is a 15 year old second generation Glock that a previous owner had hard chromed, and it has many thousands of rounds through it. I bought a new barrel for it a couple of years ago, and it is quite accurate:

Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

Thanks for the input, at this point I'm leaning toward the G23, cant find anything negative. I'm going to try to shoot the others to see if I shoot them better.

I would suggest the Glock 23 or 32 as the respective 9mm and 40/357 Barrels and Glock 19 magazines.

That way you can fire three calibers from one gun at minimal exspense.

Biker

A+ to the hot G32. Extremely fast and flat shooting. And like BikerRN said, you can pick up a 9mm conversion barrel and a couple of G19 mags for cheap practice.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

I've had my Walther PPS for a few months now, and am extremely pleased. The XD and Glock are also awesome guns - I'm just kind of a skinny guy, and find them harder to conceal (for me) due to their width.

Some people will harp on the single stack mag, not holding enough rounds. However, with the mag that comes with the PPS, which is a 1+ extension, I can carry 7 + 1, or 8 rounds. The XD carries 10 + 1, or 11 rounds. So it's not like you're getting double the capacity or anything. And that extended mag on the PPS makes it the same height as the XD. So you're trading three rounds for thinness. Whether that's worth it to you, is up to each individual to decide. Besides, you can always buy a 2+ extension, and get 9 rounds total.

For me, I multiple the chance of ever needing my gun, by the chance of ever needing to fire it after I take it out in a situation, by the chance of needing those three extra rounds, and come up with a very very very small number.

However, I'll admit, if I've just watched an episode of 24, for about 15 minutes I'm convinced I need a 50-round mag. :)

Minch

www.GunCloths.com

I love sig so I vote or the 239

VIP Member
    I have shot the glocks you mentioned, as well as the Sig P239 (in .40). I MUCH prefer the Sig trigger, wheather it's the DA/SA, (my favorite) or the DAO, the Sig's trigger is smoother and IMHO, it makes absolutely NO sense to have a safety that makes it so you can't pull the trigger.......unless you pull the trigger.
    I really like the weight of the P239 as well. The extra weight (compared to the others) helps reduce the snap and felt recoil. I also think I'm man enough to be able to handle a few extra ounces.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

First, of the choices I would choose the Glock 23... try each for yourself, but the SIG P239-40 is just a little too small for my hand... I owned mine for a few years and finally just sold it because after shooting it for a while, usually half way though every magazine I'd have to stop and regrip the gun... but that was me... I don't have that issue with any of my Glocks.
    Be Observant and Be Safe.

Current: S&W 442, Springfield XD9sc, XDm9, and Glock G26, G19, G23C,
    and SIG P226-40 TT, and Ruger GP-100, and Beretta 92FS
    Former: Taurus 92SS, SIG P220 TT, S&W 360, SIG P239-40, Ruger 22/45 MKII

No experience with any of the weapons mentioned, but for me the thinner the weapon the easier to conceal and carry.

I have a P239 and a G26. As much as I absolutely love Sigs, I actually prefer the G26 to the P239 for CC purposes. The Sig is bigger, heavier, and has less capacity. They say that when the time comes for you to pull your pistol in a SD situation, your fine motor skills will be decreased dramatically. Therefore, the simplier the tool the better, and I don't think you can get much simplier than a glock.
    ‘‘The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose.’’ — James Earl Jones, Actor

Looks like Ill be getting my first Glock this weekend!

Picked up the glock 23 last night and 250 rounds, cant wait till tomorrow and go have some fun!! Thanks to everyone for the input. I think this is a great sight and will be spending a lot of time on here in the future.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links