Defensive Carry banner

Daewoo Handgun?

15K views 37 replies 29 participants last post by  luvmy40 
#1 ·
One of our associate pastors purchased a Daewoo. I recall them about 10 years ago, but not lately. I do not remember hearing anything bad about them.

Anyone have any knowledge of them?
Here is a description.
Modern Firearms - Daewoo DP-51 / K5 pistol

Thanks,
Jerry

#2 ·
The fact that you rarely hear of them and they have not been around for several years kind of is a good indicator..but they may be a diamond in the rough.

#3 ·
I don't have any personal experience, but then I wouldn't buy a firearm from a company that also makes cars, radios, electronics, etc
:rofl:

#10 ·
The Daewoo's did not catch on, but thety were very high quality. I would buy one if the price was right. The lack of customer service and parts availability would keep the price low not the quality of the weapon.

NCH

#24 ·
Gentlemen and owners of Daewoo pistols. I have DP 51 9mm That has a broken slide rail on the right side of the frame. All the other parts are in good shape. I did sell the trigger spring to person in need of one. If anyone is interested or needs parts in the future let me know.

I got an estimate from Numerich to buy all the parts and they offered 20 bucks....................Think not. I have a jpg parts list of what I have that is a page from Numerich catalog with all the parts marked with red slashes. I can post them if interested.

Regards, Jerry

#25 ·
Among the many handguns I own, I have a .40 Daewoo which is a pleasure to
shoot. I think the quality is excellent. When it comes to a carry weapon; however, I will either select my S&W 640 stainless or one of my many Sigs - I
do have a real affinity for Sig Sauer, and every time I come home carrying
another blue plastic case my wife gives me the old "stink eye". My most carried
Sig? The P239 SAS DAK with Crimson Trace laser grips.

#26 ·
Nice Gun

I picked up the 9mm on a whim about 12 years ago. I've never had a problem with it. The tri-action is an interesting system and I would feel comfortable carrying it with the hammer down and the safety on. I picked up three spare mags on e-bay but other parts admittedly might be a problem. I would recommend it if you saw it for a good price...say...$300 or so.

#31 ·
I picked up the 9mm on a whim about 12 years ago. I've never had a problem with it. The tri-action is an interesting system and I would feel comfortable carrying it with the hammer down and the safety on. I picked up three spare mags on e-bay but other parts admittedly might be a problem. I would recommend it if you saw it for a good price...say...$300 or so.
Funeralguy,

The Daewoo DP51 in now being made here in the states under the Lionheart brand and it is my understanding that the Lionheart parts will work in the Daewoo.

#32 ·
When Daewoo is mentioned in the same breath as cheap cars and what not, keep in mind that the DP51 is the military sidearm for the South Korean military. No I know what while we may have to worry about our neighbors to the North when it comes to the hockey playoffs, South Korea has a bit higher stakes when you consider that they have a VERY aggressive enemy on their northern border and are technically still in a state of war. Do you really think that a developed nation like South Korea would put out cheap crap to their military when they have a clear and present danger on their borders every day for the last 62+ years? I've handled South Korean weapons and the quality isn't in question. Because they aren't imported any more (the K2, K1A1, DP51, they REALLY need to unscrew these laws and allow them to be imported again) the availability of parts is an issue. However, if Lionheart is making parts that will work in the original DP51, I wouldn't have a problem buying one.

#33 ·
They're similar to the S&W 59 series guns. They also resemble the newer Lionheart handgun. The DP-51 gun is all steel where the other two are alloy frames. It's built like a tank. I believe you can modify Smith 59 mags (they may just work as they are. or Sig P226 mags may work with modification..... The Lionheart gun uses S&W model 59 series mags.. Just a FYI... If you have the chance to get the DP-51.snag it fast....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.