Daewoo Handgun?

Daewoo Handgun?

This is a discussion on Daewoo Handgun? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; One of our associate pastors purchased a Daewoo. I recall them about 10 years ago, but not lately. I do not remember hearing anything bad ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Daewoo Handgun?

Daewoo Handgun?

One of our associate pastors purchased a Daewoo. I recall them about 10 years ago, but not lately. I do not remember hearing anything bad about them.

Anyone have any knowledge of them?
    Here is a description.
    Modern Firearms - Daewoo DP-51 / K5 pistol

Thanks,
    Jerry

The fact that you rarely hear of them and they have not been around for several years kind of is a good indicator..but they may be a diamond in the rough.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

VIP Member
    I don't have any personal experience, but then I wouldn't buy a firearm from a company that also makes cars, radios, electronics, etc
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

Quote Originally Posted by 64zebra View Post
    I don't have any personal experience, but then I wouldn't buy a firearm from a company that also makes cars, radios, electronics, etc
    This one doesn't look so bad, actually. Does anyone import them or did he buy it used or something?

I know I would buy a gun if it said Samsung on the slide. Too cool to pass up!

Very good guns, (the rifles are outstanding). The pistols never really caught on here due to their unique quick action. He can use S&W mags for it.

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    It this case you are wrong to think that way. Daewoo is the largest "Heavy Industry" company in ROK and makes high quality NATO spec weapons for the military and police in Korea. I have both a 9mm DP51 and .40 DH40 and both are very good handguns. I picked them up years ago when I had my 01-FFL and ran my own firearms business. They were imported at the time by Kimber.

The Daewoo's pistols are short recoil operated, locked breech and use a conventional Browning-type locking system. They have been 100% relaible in the 15 years I have owned them and have decent combat accuracy. They are very similar to the Smith-Wesson 59 series in appearence and can use the same mags. The Daewoo trigger is what they call “triple action”. As explained on the. modern weapons site, this basically means that other than traditional double or single action fire modes it has “fast action” mode. In this mode the hammer is cocked by the cycle of the slide, then it is pushed forward by the pressure on the hammer head. In this position, the main spring remains cocked, so only light pressure on the trigger is necessary to recock the hammer and fire the gun in the “double action manner”. Or, alternatively, hammer can be recocked manually to be fired in single action for maximum first-shot accuracy. It really works well and is a nice handy feature.

Parts may be a bit hard to come by and this is the only issue with these guns now IMO. If you can pick one up at a resonable price, maybe in the $300 range or a bit less I would jump on it. I own a lot of handguns of all types and by many quality makers and I would not hesitate to carry or use a Daewoo for HD.

Last edited by pirate; April 14th, 2009 at 10:57 PM.
    When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pirate View Post
    It this case you are wrong to think that way.

Parts may be a bit hard to come by and this is the only issue with these guns now IMO. If you can pick one up at a resonable price, maybe in the $300 range or a bit less I would jump on it.

I'm well aware of what the firearms are and the unique action, learned all about them when they were first made

parts is an issue with these weapons

the in my post above means my post was humorous, so I'm not wrong to think that way
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

--G.W. McClintock

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    I'm well aware of what the firearms are and the unique action, learned all about them when they were first made

parts is an issue with these weapons

the in my post above means my post was humorous, so I'm not wrong to think that way
    You stated you had no personal experience with them, so that read like you were commenting negitively about a subject you have no experience with since you have never owned a Daewoo gun. If myself and some others did not get the joke, or understand the direction of your humor, just chaulk it up to being hard to read humor sometimes in a post when its not spoken aloud. No offense was certainly direct at you, if you misinterpeted my meaning.
    When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

I have a friend who has one and it has been reliable for years, if that helps you any in your decision to get one.
    God bless our troops!

The Daewoo's did not catch on, but thety were very high quality. I would buy one if the price was right. The lack of customer service and parts availability would keep the price low not the quality of the weapon.

NCH
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

Thanks, all.
    He paid $300 for it. Years ago I almost bought one, and don't remember why I did not. Thanks again. I appreciate the help.

Regards,
    Jerry

I had a DH40 for a long time. It was a great pistol. I sold it to fund something else. I only went Glock due to the lack of parts and accessories for Daewoo pistols.
    Bend the knees, smooth is fast, watch the front sight.

i would buy one if the price was right.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

The cars they made were junk, so I wouldn't have a gun made by them. They may be a fine weapon, but I don't think I could trust my life to it.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pirate View Post
    You stated you had no personal experience with them, so that read like you were commenting negitively about a subject you have no experience with since you have never owned a Daewoo gun. If myself and some others did not get the joke, or understand the direction of your humor, just chaulk it up to being hard to read humor sometimes in a post when its not spoken aloud. No offense was certainly direct at you, if you misinterpeted my meaning.
    no offense taken,
    personal experience means I haven't owned one/shot one, but that doesn't mean I don't know the weapon's features or how it works
    I was just saying I already knew what you stated in your post about the weapon
    I still wouldn't buy one for the above reasons, including parts, etc

and yes it was also humorous
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

--G.W. McClintock

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links