Which is easier to find, 9mm or 40s&w

This is a discussion on Which is easier to find, 9mm or 40s&w within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Looking for a new carry pistol. Which ammo is easier to find, 9mm or 40s&w? I've ruled out .380ACP since I can't find it anywhere. ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Looking for a new carry pistol. Which ammo is easier to find, 9mm or 40s&w? I've ruled out .380ACP since I can't find it anywhere. No sense wasting money on a new cc piece if I can't find ammo to practice. Thanks.

.40 S&W is always a box or more when thier out of 9mm/.45 JMO O= opservation :)
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

During this current trend of 'shortages', I would have to say 9mm is much tougher to find, but that could change at any time.
    I wouldn't base my pistol purchases on this current trend, but that's just me.

If you want 'plinking' practice stick with a .22.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array Reborn's Avatar
    Hard to say at the present. One day I can find one thing and not the next. 9mm is cheaper and that may be the driving force of not being able to find any.
    Psalms 144:1
    Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
    Senior Instructor for Tactical and Defensive of Texas
    http://www.tac-def-tx.com/
    CHL INSTRUCTOR
    Retired LEO
    NRA member
    TCHA member

Last week there wasn't a box of 9mm to be found for sale in Phoenix, AZ. This week it may be the 40 that we can't find.

I'm suggesting that people own a variety of calibers for this reason. I myself own 9mm, 40 and 45 ACP calber handguns, as well as 38 SPL, .357 Magnum, .45 Colt and .44 SPL/Mag. I will soon be the owner of a .357 Sig Barrel for one of my .40 S&W's.

Between all of the calibers I own, I may be able to find something I can get ammo for. If you buy a .40 S&W or a .357 Sig you will be able to change the Barrels and Magazines and be able to shoot three calibers out of one gun.

Check out something like a Glock 23. You will have to use the Glock 19 Magazines, if you shoot 9mm, but .40 S&W and .357 Sig use the same Magazine. All you would need to do is "swap" Barrels. With a Sig it is my understanding that you don't have to change the Magazines, just the Barrels.

Biker

I have been able to find both 9mm and .40 S&W and even .45acp at Cabelas. The only caliber they are always out of is .380 acp, but what else is new these days!
    God bless our troops!

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    I can only speak for the Houston area, and only for the days I actually checked recently, but 9mm, both practice and premium defensive stuff, is more available than .40 around here. I was looking for certain .40 loads, and just happened to notice 9mm was either more plentiful, or was there when NO .40 was to be found. This was multiple places, on multiple days, over a recent two-week period.

This situation could well be totally reversed at any other place and time.

9MM is used all over the world by civilians, peace officers and military. .40 S&W is mostly a North American peace officer phenomenon.

9MM will remain much more prevalent and lower in price in general looking forward. It's about economies of scale.

Of course, in the short term The Obama is causing everything to be inflated in price and low in availability.

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    Consider a pistol for which a .22 LR conversion unit is available, or which has a near-twin available in .22 LR.

Consider buying a large quantity of ammo along with the pistol, both practice and defensive ammo. Ammo can last for many years if kept in a climate-controlled environment.

jfl
    Quote Originally Posted by joffe View Post
    9MM is used all over the world by civilians, peace officers and military. .40 S&W is mostly a North American peace officer phenomenon.

9MM will remain much more prevalent and lower in price in general looking forward. It's about economies of scale.

Of course, in the short term The Obama is causing everything to be inflated in price and low in availability.
    That's exactly what I was going to say.
    9 mm, .45 acp and .38/.357 can be found - in normal times, not right now - in about any drug/hardware stores in the boonies.
    The first rule of a gunfight: "Don't be there !"
    The second rule: "Bring enough gun"

jfl
    (NRA Life Member/Instructor - GOA - IDPA - GSSF - ex-IHMSA)

Well from my experience, I shoot 9mm and my buddy shoots .40 and whenever we go to buy ammo together it is 50/50. There have been times when I cannot find a box, and times when he cannot find a box.

As others have said recently 9mm has been harder to find, but it could be .40 next month.

Senior Member Array AZ Desertrat's Avatar
    9mm goes off the shelf pretty fast, but I think more people own 9's than 40's.....I usually see some 40's left when the 9mm are slim pickins.
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people; it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government--lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." --Patrick Henry

USCG Veteran
    NRA Life Member

I suggest you buy the gun you want. Don't let the current shortage of 9mm scare you away if that's what you want. It will all be there at some point. I am sure manufacturers are adding capacity and ramping up production in all popular calibers.
    NRA, IDPA, GSSF & GSSA member
    Certified Glock Armorer

I was at the local Walmart over the weekend and there was no 9mm, .45, .38 special. However, there were ten boxes of .40 S&W.

I have been fairly lucky here in Kansas. Can usually find 9mm, .40, and .45. Sometimes I just have to pay a little more for it but I can usually find it somewhere. Now if we could just do something about .380...
    ‘‘The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose.’’ — James Earl Jones, Actor

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links