Moon Clip for my SP101 .357

This is a discussion on Moon Clip for my SP101 .357 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Has anyone done this? It looks like a great improvement. I called and was told that the ability to single load remains. They machine down ...

Thread: Moon Clip for my SP101 .357

Moon Clip for my SP101 .357

Has anyone done this? It looks like a great improvement.
    I called and was told that the ability to single load remains. They machine down the center of the cylinder to accommodate the moon clip, and leave an edge or lip so bullets can be used without moon clip.
    I have never used a Moon clip but I saw it used on a Video and was impressed.
    Thanks,

Moon Clip Conversion - Clark Custom Guns, Inc.

2. Remove Ads

A HUNDRED BUCKS and all they do is stick the cylinder in a lathe/mill and take off a few thou and give you ONE moon clip?

No thanks. Buy a couple of speed loaders and some ammo instead. Then take the wife out for a good dinner with the rest of the cash.

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    Gemini Customs will also do moon clip conversions, though I don't recall the price. I speed "load" my SP101 by pulling another gun real fast, and being functionally ambidextrous with revolvers certainly helps out there. I used to carry an N-frame snub, a 25-2, which used moon clips. The only thing wrong with the gun itself was that is was really too big for my hands, but I remember carrying the moon-clipped reloads was a hassle; I was always worried about them being bent. A hard carrying case/pouch would have been quite bulky, and I was quite skinny back then, and was doing good to conceal the big sixgun. Nevertheless, some knowledeable guys do like moon guns for CC, and consider the benefits to outweigh the trouble.

Yup...Gemini Customs does a great job on moon clips. Here is my GP100:

Moon clips are fast reloads...but the best thing about them is that you always have one piece positive ejection with nary a hang-up.
    It all comes down to going down the dark holes after monsters. That’s what it’s all about; when everyone else is huddled around the campfire, somebody has to go out and fight.

Quote Originally Posted by dawgfvr View Post
    Yup...Gemini Customs does a great job on moon clips. Here is my GP100:

Wow! that machining looks pretty rough to me (just saying). I'm not a revo guy, but speed strips seem fast and easier to carry.
    Get the U.N. out of the U.S.
    Get the U.S. out of the U.N.

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    Gemini seems to charge $130 for machining and includes four clips; that makes it a touch more expensive than Clark.

I just bought a 4" GP-100; since it is going to be my one and only revolver for IDPA, I will be getting it cut for clips. Right now, Clark is probably the best choice, in my opinion. They want $4/clip, and I suspect I'd be getting 10–15 clips (got to shoot a 90-round classifier with it, after all. )
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

Clark does an excellent job. I had my S&W 686 done. They tell you when to send it in so you have a fast turn around. Also Jerry Miculek's wife is Kay CLARK Miculek so there is some fine revolver tradition there.

Do not expect it to be as fast loading as the .45ACP moonclips. The longer .38/.357 takes a fraction longer to insert unlike the .45's which you can almost throw in. They do extract as fast though.

BTW . . . TK Custom will sell you the moonclips for a fraction of the cost.

I have a 9mm S&W 360 that uses moonclips, Pinnacle High Performance did the work and I wouldn't have it any other way. They're much faster than speed loaders and strips, and as has been mentioned, the empties all pop out together. The S&W moonclips are quite sturdy and hold the rounds very securely so they don't fall apart in your pocket. I have yet to have any bend on me.

BTW, Pinnacle can do the job on your SP101 for $85.

Links