Where to buy a gun

This is a discussion on Where to buy a gun within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So I am in the market for a new gun. Should I go to the local gun shop or to a gun show that will ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where to buy a gun

Where to buy a gun

So I am in the market for a new gun. Should I go to the local gun shop or to a gun show that will be in town in 2 weeks? I know the store can give better feedback, but I'm guessing the gun show will be cheaper and I can avoid the background check. Is this correct? If not, where is the best place to buy a gun? Specifically I am looking for a small concealable gun.
    Jp

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by prince View Post
    I know the store can give better feedback, but I'm guessing the gun show will be cheaper and I can avoid the background check.
    Yeesh. It's getting bad when someone who wants to buy a gun is parroting the Brady Campaign's propaganda on the nonexistent "gun show loophole".

Virtually everyone selling at gun shows are licensed gun dealers. When a gun dealer sells anyone a gun, they have to do the background check. There is no special exemption for gun shows!

Quote Originally Posted by Blackeagle View Post
    Yeesh. It's getting bad when someone who wants to buy a gun is parroting the Brady Campaign's propaganda on the nonexistent "gun show loophole".

Virtually everyone selling at gun shows are licensed gun dealers. When a gun dealer sells anyone a gun, they have to do the background check. There is no special exemption for gun shows!
    I believe the OP was referring to making a private transaction at the gun show, instead of buying from a dealer. As Blackeagle said, a dealer will require a background check, even at a gun show.

My suggestion is to the OP is to go to the gun show to handle as many guns as you can and ask questions, to help you make a more educated decision. Then, go to you local gun shop and purchase your gun of choice. I try to support my local shops, especially if they provide good customer service.
    Duty, Honor, Country...MEDIC!!!
    ¡Cuánto duele crecer, cuan hondo es el dolor de alzarse en puntillas y observar con temblores de angustia, esa cosa tremenda, que es la vida del hombre! - René Marqués

Quote Originally Posted by prince View Post
    So I am in the market for a new gun. Should I go to the local gun shop or to a gun show that will be in town in 2 weeks? I know the store can give better feedback, but I'm guessing the gun show will be cheaper and I can avoid the background check. Is this correct? If not, where is the best place to buy a gun? Specifically I am looking for a small concealable gun.
    Because the background check is going to be a problem for you?

So overall, is a store the better place to make the gun purchase and not a gun show?
    Jp

Senior Moderator
    Yes I prefer a gun store over a gun show for buying.

Gun Shows are great when you are looking for a specfic gun or you are hunting diamonds in the rough. They are also good for giving you a chance to handle and compare many different types of guns.

Sometimes you can find a great deal but usually I don't but I always have a good time at them
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Find a gun shop that you feel comfortable in...get to know the owner. Start at a gun range and ask about shops in your area.
    Once you get to know a gun shop and they get to know you...prices and opportunities should get better.
    That's been my experience...but there are some wackos out there too...be careful.
    I don't go to gun shows any more...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I was not impressed by the dealers at the last gun show I attended in Dallas. (Big Town) Lots of guns to browse, but prices were often higher than my local shop. Accessories and ammo were outrageously priced. I'll go to the next show but more for browsing. Besides - you shouldn't decide what to buy by listening to a motivated seller.

All the shows around my parts sell used Glocks for $550!!! No thanks, the last one I went to there were more airsoft guns and tupperwear ( not Glocks, real tupperwear) than real guns!! No thanks!!! Support local shops, it keeps them in business, plus you never know when you are in the shop someone might come in to sell a real gem cheap!! Gun forums are also a good place, I get most of my guns from other members on forums.

NCH
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    I believe in establishing a good relationship with the people at the local fun shop, especially if they also have a range.
    I have two local shops, one with a range and one without, both have very comparable prices and stock similar items.
    The owner of one shop is just plain rude the owner at the other bends over back wards to keep his customers happy(this one has a range), guess where I shop?
    There was some chatter on another board about the one I like, a guy had them hold a gun and it was gone when he went to pick it up. I knoew something just didn't sound right about the post and I know the salesman involved. I called to ask about what was going on and found out that it was simply a matter of somebody putting the gun in the lawaway case instead of the hold case. The salesman called the customer and explained what happened and the whole thing was resolved. The customer was happy, the salesman was happy and the owner was thrilled that I got involved and straightened things out.
    End result, everybody is happy, the others on that board know the full story, they shops reputation is intact and I've got quite a few discounts for getting involved.
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

Administrator
    Gun shows have become a joke.
    "Just blame Sixto"

You go to a gun show, buy a gun, then later run some rounds through it only to find out the gun's got a problem. Or, it proves to be an outright [Edited]. Now, where do you go to get your money back? The gun show dealer isn't available, so what do you do?

If you want a user gun, give your business to your local gun shop. However, if you are on the hunt for collectible firearms, then you owe it to yourself to comb the gun shows - in addition to checking out all local gun and pawn shops.

If you are already in possession of a concealed carry permit, and produce it at the time of purchase, then there won't be much of a background check; if any. The dealer will just record your permit number onto his transfer form.
    Last edited by Captain Crunch; April 16th, 2009 at 01:00 PM. Reason: Language.

I use gun shows for window shoping and getting the feel for firearms. Then look at a shop for actual purchase. Get much better customer service that way.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

I've bought everything off the internet. I try and handle what I want if I can, if not I try and talk to as many people with that gun as possible to get their opinion. I'm not a fan of any of the dealers in my area because they don't stock what I like, and usually don't want to order it. So its easy to find it myself online, and theres usually better prices too.
    -Cody-

HK USP Tactical 45
    HK P2000SK .40, LEM, Night Sights

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Gun shows have become a joke.
    Aint that the truth! There are no good deals anymore.
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links