New 642 on it's way

New 642 on it's way

This is a discussion on New 642 on it's way within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a J-Frame 642 on it's way. Should be here tomorrow. I have shot autos all my life and this will be a new ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New 642 on it's way

New 642 on it's way

I have a J-Frame 642 on it's way. Should be here tomorrow.

I have shot autos all my life and this will be a new experience for me. I'm ordering a DeSantis Nemesis from Midway to get me started until I decide how I will carry it or what type of holster I will be using.

I was wondering what else I might need while placing the order. HKS Revolver Speedloader? Bianchi 580 Speed Strips? Basically what items might I need to get me started?

Good choice for a revolver. I own the 642 and 442. I own the HKS speedloader and Bianchi speed strips, both work well but the speed strips is easier to carry in the pocket. I replaced the stock grips with a crimson trace laser and love it. (creeping up on age, bad eyes). Depending on how u like to carry, I like the pocket carry with an uncle mike's pocket holster and carry out the waist with a don hume jit holster. Ammo, my preferance is speer gold dot, 135gr +P. Good luck and enjoy.

VIP Member
    I also have a 642 with a crimson trace for the same reason. I prefer the Safariland Comp speed loader but I carry an ammo strip depending on my attire. I also prefer a low-profile shoulder rig, which allows easier access while standing or seated.

Now, I still have and love my autos’ but the revolver is still my most trusted sidearm.
    Regards,
    Last edited by Saber; April 16th, 2009 at 03:31 PM.
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

Quote Originally Posted by Saber View Post
    I also prefer a low-profile shoulder rig, which allows easier access while standing or seated.
    What shoulder rig do you use?

Nice purchase...everyone needs a Smitty Snubbie...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Ron
    I love my 642 and carry a speedloader in a nylon cell phone case with a snap over top. Perfect fit, and nobody can tell it's not a cell phone.
    "It does not do to leave a dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him."

J. R. R. Tolkien

If you're used to autos, start building up strength in that trigger finger!
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Good choice. I have a 637 I carry IWB in a comp-tac, c-tac. I like it works great. Cant tell its there. I dry fire alot to practice because .38 ammo is scarce. Good luck with your J-frame.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbebenelli View Post
    What shoulder rig do you use?
    There are so many fine shoulder rigs on the market and they’re designed in various fashions, based on personal preference, dress code, and your anatomy. Do a search on “shoulder holster” or “shoulder rig”.

- Horizontal (muzzle to rear)
    - Butt angled down (muzzle slightly up)
    - Barrel pointed up (vertical)

I will state that some on these are available in exotic and expensive materials. Please do yourself a favor and don’t fall into that trap. Besides, you’ll likely end up with more than one style of holster for different occasions. You’ll never get your money back on any rig, since the market views them just like' used furniture.
    Regards,
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

Good choice. I own a S&W 442 which is a close cousin of the 642. Speed strips are better then speed loader. The strips do not cause a bulge in your clothing. Generally shoot 110gr FMJ for practice and for SD I carry 110gr Cor Bon DPX +P.
    JimH
    Kentucky
    S&W 442, Bersa 380, S&W 9mm M&P, Springfield XD40c
    Member: NRA, USCCA

EW3
    Get a shooting glove; snubbies are not fun to shoot at all, especially if you are used to softer shooting semi-autos.

I used to have a 642 and a 442 and have some miscellaneous stuff you may be interested in, cheap. I have Hogue, and Pachmayr grips, HKS speedloaders (2) and a Nemesis for J-Frame. PM me if you want any of it.
    "Naked and Starving as They are We Cannot Enough Admire the Incomparable Patience and Fidelity of the Soldiery" – George Washington, Valley Forge, 1777.

Definately speedstrips,I carry three,two on my belt and one in the pocket of my cargo pants for my mdl 36.

Speed loaders are much faster than strips, but the strips pack flat. The best accessories for a 642 IMO are Crimson Trace laser grips and a Renegade ankle rig. I know, I know, I never liked ankle rigs before either, but the Renegade is an amazing rig.

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Nice purchase...everyone needs a Smitty Snubbie...
    Agreed, a must have.
    While people are saying "Peace and safety," destruction will come on them suddenly, ... and they will not escape. 1Th 5:3

I just picked up my 642 yesterday as well. I've been carrying a Browning BDA380 for a while, but wanted something a little lighter and smaller since summer clothes make it tough to hide. I considered several of the cheaper guns like Charter and Taurus, but kept coming back to the S&W.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links