Question for Sig owners

Question for Sig owners

This is a discussion on Question for Sig owners within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm narrowing it down for my 1st firearm. Looking mostly at Sigs, specifically a P-220 carry that the majority of my LEO friends (and CCW ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Question for Sig owners

Distinguished Member Array Bunny's Avatar

Question for Sig owners

I'm narrowing it down for my 1st firearm. Looking mostly at Sigs, specifically a P-220 carry that the majority of my LEO friends (and CCW ladies) have recommended. Going to test one at the range tomorrow, and a mosquito shortly.

So -- Sig owners...what do you have? How do you like it? Pros? Cons? Would you recommend your model? Why or why not? You know, anything you think is worth letting me know. Any advice to a total noob would be appreciated. Type slowly, I'm new at this

Thanks!

--Bunny

Distinguished Member Array Bunny's Avatar
    Oh, I forgot to mention caliber. I'm comfortable with a .22 but I'd like something a bit larger for my carry gun, what do you all have? recommend? Thanks!

Sig 226 .40 S&W is perfect IMO

Senior Moderator
    I've got some Sigs.

220,225,2 226's,239 and a 230.
    That would be .45,9MM,9mm,.357SIG,40 and .380.

I like them. They are very accurate, in fact I dont think I have ever seen one that wasnt. They feel good in my hand. They are solid guns.

The Sig P226 is the best shooting 9mm that I have ever shot. The 225 is a close second. The 226 can hold lots of rounds with aftermarket mags.

THe 225 is more compact and I carry it alot also.

THe 239 is also carried, its a small package for an 8 shot .40, but not too small for my large hands.

The 220 is a big gun to carry concealed, but no bigger than any 226.

I like the .357 Sig, but it is very loud and it has its own distinct sound. When 50 people are shooting at a range, I can pick it out.

The .380 is good, but it's a heavy gun for a .380 and .380's just never did it for me, it lives in the safe and hardly ever gets shot.

I have several 1911's, several Glocks,an HK.USP45, and out of everything else that I've got, the Sigs get shot and toted more than anything else.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

I personally own and occasionally carry a p228 in 9mm. It carries 13 +1 of my favorite 124 gr Gold Dots. It is approximately the size of the P220 Carry you are mentioning. It is an AWESOME shooter. Very accurate. Very well balanced. Had I not started off with Glock Sig would be my primary choice of EDC. You will not be sorry. Theya are a little bulkier in some ways...but a good holster/belt combo will solve that.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

I have four "classic" Sigs. I have a P220 in .45, a P225, P226, P228 9mms. Love them all! I generally prefer to carry the biggest pistol I can, but sometimes wardrobe limits that. I think the P220 carry is a fine pistol. Just be warned, Sigs are like Pringles, you can't have just one!

Depending on how recoil sensitive you are the P220 carry might be a little much for you though. My P225 9mm is about the same size, but has been replaced by the P239. Single column so it has a fairly small grip, and less recoil than the .45. If you can handle double column magazines OK, the P228 (replaced by the P229) is regarded by many as one of the finest combat handguns ever made. The P226 is also excellent but is a little larger than what you are looking at.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    Double-stack SIGs are a bit of a handful for somebody with smaller hands, so make sure you get to try them out if you are concerned about that.

For P220, although there are occasionally oddball calibers out there, you are basically talking about .45 ACP, a great defensive cartridge and one whose earth-shattering recoil is greatly exaggerated. The P220 Carry is a fantastic gun. Going back to the grip size issue, SIG makes factory short triggers (this is not the same thing as the Short Reset Trigger or SRT) and slim grips that make this a very comfortable pistol for smaller hands. For larger hands, you can get Hogue rubber or any of the wood aftermarket grips to beef it up a bit. The P220 is an absolute top-flight carry gun, in both the Carry and Full Size models. There is also a Compact, but that seems to be a different enough animal that I wouldn't compare it directly to the other P220s.

The P225 (a.k.a., P6 if it's a refurb European model) is a compact single-stack 9mm. Not made new and not a lot of aftermarket options for it, and mags can be hard to find, but a very shootable gun.

The P239 is slightly smaller than the P225 and comes in 9mm, .40S&W, and 357SIG. In 9mm and .40 it is a very nice little pistol, very concealable, but a bit low on capacity. I haven't shot it in 357SIG.

If you try out some double-stack SIGs and know you can shoot them and conceal them, the P229 is a great weapon, in the same calibers as the P239. The grip on the P229 (and the larger barreled P226) can be slimmed down some with aftermarket grips, namely Hogue's Extreme G10 or aluminum, but those are expensive (around $130). Thicker grip means harder to conceal, but you will get much higher capacity in the gun.

Last word---all of these come in tradition DA/SA (double-action first shot, single-action follow-ups with no manual safety) and DAK (which is SIGs proprietary double-action only trigger; well liked by a lot of people who have shot it and want a DAO pistol; also no safety). The P220 also has a cokced-and-locked single-action only (SAO) version; I just got one of those (Carry sized) and I love it, but it's a competition gun for IDPA and I will most likely stick with DA/SA for a carry gun.

ETA: Oh, yeah, if you like 9mm or .40S&W, don't rule out the sigPro guns. They can be had for a steal, and you rarely hear from an unhappy sigPro owner. Modular backstraps allow some degree of custom fitting to the shooter's hand. I have not shot one but would really like to try one out.
    Last edited by kazzaerexys; April 17th, 2009 at 03:54 PM. Reason: Extra info.
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

And of course we cant forget the P250!
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Distinguished Member Array TerriLi's Avatar
    I carry everyday either my primary P220, or on odd days the P226. Im a small guy with small hands, and I havent had a single problem with either. Never had a single weapon caused malfunction, and it will shoot anything I put in a Magazine. I have carried IWB OWB, shoulder harness. Its one of the most "bullet proof" guns that just goes bang everytime Ive ever fired. Both weapons are as old as me, yet never had a single problem.
    Now here is the one thing I do not....shockly enough.... like about sigs. Magazines are expensive, because I wouldnt trust anything but a Mecgar after market, or factory mags in mine. Ive tried several makers, they either dont function right out of the box or fail to work after a few years. Meanwhile the sig factory mags from 26 years ago still function flawlessly. So if you do get a sig, plan to spend about 50 bucks after taxes and shipping on each new mag, unless you go Gunshow shopping, and then you might find some for 40.
    I know not what this "overkill" means.

Honing the knives, Cleaning the longguns, Stocking up ammo.

I currently have four Sigs and I have never had any issues what so ever with any of them.

P220 .45
    P225-P6 9MM
    P232 .380
    Mosquito .22

I switch between carrying the P220 and the P225.

My wife carries the P232

I only care a P220 in a Blackhawk Serpa holster. Two extra mags on the left side. I love this gun and would not sell it for any amount. It has always worked well. My opinion, do not buy cheap mags. This has caused my only jam.
    Joe

PILSUNG

I have a P226 in 40 S&W, and it is a great pistol.

Senior Member Array Freedomofchoice's Avatar
    I own a 239 in 40 cal. It is accurate and 100% reliable, but, given its size, weight, and capacity, I find that my Glocks are a much more disirable and useful carry. In fact, I am thinking of replacing the Sig with a Glock 23. Higher capacity, and less weight, with equal reliability and accuracy.

Too light for heavy work, too heavy for light work!

pb

I'm pretty attached to my 239 .40 cal. Nice and small so it conceals pretty good. I carry two spare mags to make up for the single stack.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    ----------------------------------
    "Let a man never stir on his road a step
    without his weapons of war;
    for unsure is the knowing when need shall arise
    of a spear on the way without."

Quote Originally Posted by Bunny View Post
    I'm narrowing it down for my 1st firearm. Looking mostly at Sigs, specifically a P-220 carry that the majority of my LEO friends (and CCW ladies) have recommended. Going to test one at the range tomorrow, and a mosquito shortly.

So -- Sig owners...what do you have? How do you like it? Pros? Cons? Would you recommend your model? Why or why not? You know, anything you think is worth letting me know. Any advice to a total noob would be appreciated. Type slowly, I'm new at this

Thanks!

--Bunny
    I carry two different Sigs, kind of a winter and summer setup...
    For winter time its a 229R 40. I like the feel and handling of the 229R, very similar to a 228 but, with the extra horse power of the 40S&W round.

For summer its a P239 in 40. The compact nature of the pistol and single stack magazine makes concealing it much easier when wearing shorts and a T-shirt in the summer.

Both pistols along with other Sigs, this is direct from other Sig specific forum, seem to be ideal for carry as long as you find the right holster and belt.

For both of my carry pistols its Milt Sparks Versa Max II IWB holster... Most comfortable and very good retention holster...

Hope this helps!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links