Shot my brother's XD and liked my M&P better...

This is a discussion on Shot my brother's XD and liked my M&P better... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was just curious if anyone else has had a similar experience, also I'm wondering if I wasn't giving it a chance. I originally wanted ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shot my brother's XD and liked my M&P better...

Shot my brother's XD and liked my M&P better...

I was just curious if anyone else has had a similar experience, also I'm wondering if I wasn't giving it a chance. I originally wanted an XD subcompact, but after holding a M&P one day, I liked the way it felt, plus it was in stock and the XD wasn't. So I've had my M&P for a while now and put about 600 rounds through it, I love it so far.

I have shot my brother's XD, same model I almost got, and I just don't seem to like the way it handles. I might just be forcing myself to think that way to rationalize my decision though???

Does anyone else have experience with both, I'd just be curious to hear your thoughts?
    Smith & Wesson M&P9cCrossbreed Supertuck
    Ruger LCP
    Nitecore EX10 R2
    SOG Access Card 2.0

2. Remove Ads

Which models of both were you shooting?

What did you like about the M&P better?

Quote Originally Posted by grady View Post
    Which models of both were you shooting?

What did you like about the M&P better?
    Brother's was XD9 subcompact

Mine is M&P9 compact

For some reason it just seemed like the XD felt awkward in my hand, but that could be because I'm used to my M&P. I probably shouldn't judge too quick though, I think I've only put two mags down range with it.
    Smith & Wesson M&P9cCrossbreed Supertuck
    Ruger LCP
    Nitecore EX10 R2
    SOG Access Card 2.0

I like the way the M&P feels in my hand. There is a bulge in the grip that helps me keep a firm hold on it. I haven't shot one yet, but I'll probably end up with one eventually.

About a year ago I was shopping for two guns: a small 9mm for concealed carry, and a fullsize .45 for open carry. I handled, and in several cases rented and fired, the various M&Ps, XDs and Glocks.

I found that of the compact 9mm guns the M&P fit my hand better than the XD, but that in the full size .45 guns the XD fit my hand better than the M&P.

In general the Glocks did not fit my hand so well.

I eventually settled on a Kahr CW9 for compact concealed carry and an XD .45 service model for open carry.

Now, a year later, I'm still very happy with the XD and have mixed feelings about the CW9.

All these guns seem to be in the same ballpark for reliability, accuracy, etc. So given this experience I'd think that how a gun fits the hand perhaps has more to do with how happy one will be with it over time than what brand or product line it's from.

FWIW

Senior Member Array MilitaryPower's Avatar
    I've experienced the same, and I still prefer his XD to Glocks. It' just. . . better, for me at least.
    Gun control can be blamed in part for allowing 9/11 to happen.
    "Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum" (Latin)- "If you want peace, prepare for war".

Nothing wrong with preferring one over the other.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

I think that S&W did a great job on the grip but the XD is not that far off. My only problem with the M&P is I hate magazine disconects.

Save yourself the turmoil, get a SIG or H&K.

The XD subcompact looks really blocky to me....But I like the feel of the corresponding M&P.

The XDs are very awkward in the hand and didnt really notice until the many recent discussions, on here..but are very oddly balnaced, and not in a good way. They just feel top heavy or something. I handled the M&P and they feel very nice, but if I buy another double stack polymer, I am gonna stick with my Glocks.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

The M&P is a sweet gun. I have a .40 full size and it it a really sweet shooter.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BamaSteve View Post
    I was just curious if anyone else has had a similar experience, also I'm wondering if I wasn't giving it a chance. I originally wanted an XD subcompact, but after holding a M&P one day, I liked the way it felt, plus it was in stock and the XD wasn't. So I've had my M&P for a while now and put about 600 rounds through it, I love it so far.

I have shot my brother's XD, same model I almost got, and I just don't seem to like the way it handles. I might just be forcing myself to think that way to rationalize my decision though???
    Does anyone else have experience with both, I'd just be curious to hear your thoughts?
    I bought an XD9 Subcompact with Crimson trace grips. This added about 1/4 inch's to the width of the grip and another $300 to the cost of the pistol.

I shot it. I had other experts try it. It shot slightly a bit off center but quite acceptable.

I just never got comfortable with it.

For me, it felt like shooting a brick.

I could not even get my wife to try it, "too heavy".

As a subcompact, it does have a fair amount of recoil. It is not like sitting in a rocking chair with a 5" barrel, M&P or otherwise.

It is very popular because it is priced right. It is sold by the oldest American firearms maker, Springfield Armory but is ironically built in Croatia.

It is however a very reliable and well built pistol. You can put almost anything through it without a jamb.

I do have some friends that like their new XDm 19+1 compacts.

I'm a Sig and Walther guy. I think it is a matter of personal preference. I still have my XD but seldom shoot it.

My favorite new toy is the Walther PPS for CCW.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

nothin wrong with liking a M&P better than a XD! I like em both!
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

I have always thought that the M&P felt great in my hand and looked cool. However, I never fired one. I have shot the XDs before, and liked them.

About two weeks ago I took my brother-in-law shooting, and to buy his first gun. he wanted a carry gu with a consistent trigger pull. He tried my Sig P229 DAK. we then rented a Glock, XD, and the M&P.

He absolutely loved the XD Compact and bought it. I feel in love with the M&P and ordered a compact version.

Both are great guns, so go with what feels best in your hand.

Quote Originally Posted by mfcmb View Post
    I found that of the compact 9mm guns the M&P fit my hand better than the XD, but that in the full size .45 guns the XD fit my hand better than the M&P.FWIW
    FWIW, bear in mind that the M&Ps come with different-sized backstraps.
    NRA member
    GrassRoots GunRights SC member
    Walther PPS .40 / KelTec P3AT

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links