Help me be comfortable with cocked & locked

This is a discussion on Help me be comfortable with cocked & locked within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello to all, I have carried for a long time, but this is ths first time I have chosen to carry a .45 kimber ultra ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help me be comfortable with cocked & locked

Help me be comfortable with cocked & locked

Hello to all,
    I have carried for a long time, but this is ths first time I have chosen to carry a .45 kimber ultra carry II My question is do I carry cocked & locked?

I know it should be carried this way but I'm a little hesitant about this form of carry... although I should be in the ready right?

please let me know your thoughts
    Thanks

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    Confidence grows with experience. Lots of threads on cocked and locked (search)..the overwhelming majority in favor of. I too felt your same apprehension....but no longer.

Rick

A question I might ask, did you carry a revolver before? A lot of people can get a little jumpy with the short crisp 1911 trigger break when they were used to something long and sometimes heavy like a Glock (I have a 23) or even more a DA revolver. You must train yourself to apply the safety whenever you don't plan on firing the weapon. Safeties do serve a very important purpose in the 1911. Safety is a training issue. Good choice in weapons.

As long as you don't fiddle with your weapon and leave it holstered, you'll be fine. It won't go off by itself. It's like others say, a the more you carry with one in the pipe, the more you'll feel confident about it.
    III

Train with it, get comfortable and proficiant with it. Although I reccomend that you carry cocked & locked, if you aren't comfortable then you are more likely to slip up than if you were confident.

Build your confidence and skill. I carry my DA SigP229 with one in the chamber, but I've trained with it so I'm confident with the 10 lb double action on the first shot. If my finger goes to the trigger then it downhill from there, but I'm not at all worried about carrying it with OITC.
    "The price of freedom is eternal vigilance." ~Thomas Jefferson~

"...Be not ye afraid of them: remember the LORD, which is great and terrible, and fight for your brethren, your sons, and your daughters, your wives, and your houses." ~Nehemiah 4:14~

I used be to nervous chambered until I saw how well guarded the trigger is in all my holsters. Now it goes everywhere I go chambered.

If you aren't going to carry cocked and locked, you need a different design. As long as the trigger is covered by the holster, nothing will happen. Even if the thumb safety gets knocked off, you still have to activate the grip safety and pull the trigger before it can fire. If you are really worried, get a holster with a thumb break that is between the hammer and the firing pin.

los
    Try this for building confidence in C&L carry mode with your Kimber.

Take the magazine out of the Kimber. Clear the weapon by making absolutely sure the chamber is empty. Cock and lock the empty weapon. Holster the weapon and belt the holstered weapon on your body in your carry position. Get into bed and roll a few times back and forth. Do it again. Do it again some more. Try it a few more times.

If the weapon didn't experience hammer release,. then onto the last step.

Keep the empty weapon cocked,.. but take the safety off. Roll a few times in bed. back and forth,..back and forth. Roll a few more times.

If the hammer didn't release,.....you're good-to-go.

FYI, ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS carry cocked and locked in condition 1.
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

Carry it cocked without one in the chamber for a few weeks. It won't drop, but you'll feel better getting the experience. No need to go through the stress of live carry if you're uncomfortable.

Thanks,
    Great advice as I expected... just needed a pep talk.
    I know that the kimber as well as other 1911 are very safe and that's why I chosed it as my CCW

I have carried S&W 38+P with concealed hammer prior to that a Beretta 9MM with a Beretta 950 Jetfire .25 acp mouse gun (the Beretta's were always hot)

Fred,
    I also have fired more then 500+(I'm glad it's broken in with the price of ammo) been training myself to apply the safety whenever I handle the firearm, unless, I'm ready to fire.

Los, I will try that.

I should be on Tim's list soon for my TT Gunleather holster until then I have the Highnoon holster and it does a great job with the trigger protection.

Thanks again,

I've just started carrying my Taurus PT1911. I do carry it(open or concealed) cocked and locked. However, I find myself checking the safety quite frequently. The major issue I had was getting used to the safety. Other than the Colt revolver, that I sometimes carry, my other two guns have safeties which work opposite to the 1911, that is down, on safe and up to fire. I waited until I was comfortable with the difference, before carrying it for the first time.

Just remember it isn't just cocked and locked... by that I mean more than just the thumb safety has to come off and the trigger pulled to make the gun go bang. There is also a grip safety... so a hand has to be on the stock too.

To me it is safer to carry than anything else without a squeeze cocker.

I feel just as comfortable carrying this one cocked and locked...

As I do this one, uncocked with one in the pipe and cocked on deployment.
    http://www.treasureislandbedandbreakfast.com
    Ed Brown Kobra Carry | HK P7M8, P2000sk, P30s | Sig P238, P239SAS, 1911 C3, P232, P938 | Colt Defender, Mustang Pocketlite, 1911 | Rohrbaugh R9 | Kimber Covert Ultra II | Browning HP, Buckmark 22LR(suppressed| Walter PPK(1966) | Kahr PM9 Black Rose |

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    Hmm, a couple things I haven't seen mentioned here:
    1) use the safety in between your ears, no matter what you carry
    2) keep your booger hook off the trigger until ready to fire, also works well with any gun.
    I alternate carrying a Kimber Pro Carry II cocked and locked and a Model 36 snubbie in a holtser without a trigger guard.
    Do I worry about either one? Nope I rememebr the rules listed above.
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

Yes, most definitely carry in 'ready mode'.
    Before it will fire, you have to engage the grip safety, the manual safety, and pull the trigger, and all that is not going to happen unless you decide to fire that sucker.
    It certainly isn't going to go off in your holster.

My EDC is a Kimber Ultra CDP II...and she's always ready for business.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links