I Defend a Gun I Don't Even Like

This is a discussion on I Defend a Gun I Don't Even Like within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; From a private forum i had thought about getting a GLock 26 9mm but no one else I know that knows anything about guns has ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I Defend a Gun I Don't Even Like

I Defend a Gun I Don't Even Like

From a private forum

i had thought about getting a GLock 26 9mm but no one else I know that knows anything about guns has one and [Euclidean] said a couple times he doesn't really like them.

Don't let that sway you. How many people are you basing this opinion on?

I'm flattered you think that much of my opinion but just because a handful of people don't choose Glock that's no reason for you to do the same.
    point taken [Euclidean] but I know you have a decent assortment of guns and you have pretty much every brand except Glock and same goes for these other people.

I don't own a High Standard, Wilson Combat, Nighthawk, Les Baer, Korth, or for that matter an EAA, Taurus, Charter Arms, etc. That doesn't mean it's not any good, it just means either I can't afford it or I prefer something else. Same goes for those other people.

I'll be clear on this: I don't like the Glock 26 because it's short and fat and weird and it points funny and it aims funny and I can't get a good grip on it and by the time I spent $100 on grip extensions and whatever to make it work I might as well not bother, especially when they make many other pistols I'd much rather have for the same money.

But you know what I am dyed in the wool and set in my ways on what I think a handgun should look and feel like and you know the only polymer gun I like at all is the XD anyway. I'd bet you $1000 that 999 out of 1000 Glock 26's are combat accurate, will outperform their owner, and will never ever fail.

My criticisms of most of the guns I don't like are almost all subjective. Perhaps if I'd started with a Glock pistol I'd hate everything else.
    well why don't you own a Glock then if they are so great - not flaming you I just find it odd you would defend something you don't like very much so well

Because I'm not a cop or a soldier and I'm not issued weapons, I choose to arm myself with whatever I like. While I admit it's largely much ado about nothing when we discuss personal biases, there is no reason I should not get what I want. Just because I gave the Glock a miss doesn't mean everyone should - I'm just one guy.

Guns are like anything else - you can spend your whole life looking for the perfect one and never find it.
    I reposted this here with a little bit of incriminating info cut out just because I surprised myself reading back on my own comments.

I also thought it might be interesting to see if anyone here, especially some of the merchants of death, have ever defended or reccommended something they dislike themselves or were ambivalent to overall.

2. Remove Ads

Assistant Administrator
    I doubt I go as far as to actually 'defend' a gun I like less, but over time I have tried hard not to do what some folks seem to love - trashing another gun out of hand because it's not what they ''like''!!

I prefer to suggest anyone tries an ''unknown quantity'' to them - and see how they like it or don't. I am not yet a Glocker or CZ, XD owner - but I respect those folks who have them and am well pleased if they are happy with them.

I would admit tho to not willingly defending a choice of Lorcin, Raven Jennings category
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Lead Moderator
    I have nothing against Glocks or other guns that do not fit me well. Just because I cannot use them well doesn't mean they are not good. But defend em? Naw.

I respect Glocks for their pure functionality and purposefullness. Don't like the grip angle at all, and they are a little thick. For those reasons I bought a Kahr K9 to carry. If the Army switched to a G17, or better yet G21, I wouldn't lose any sleep; at the end of the day probably an improvement over the Beretta 92.
    "Speed is fine, but accuracy is final." - Bill Jordan

Senior Moderator
    A "Glock" story...

I hate Glocks.

Not that there is actually anything wrong with them,its just to my hand its about as ergonomic as a 2x4.

I used to cut them down every chance I got. When I qualified for the Sheriff Dept, and the Glock 21 was issued, I chose to use my Sig 220.

Sure, the Glock holds more rounds, but it just didnt have the pointability that the Sig had. So we shot and I dropped 2 points...out of a possible 250 and still qualified expert. Nothing new there. Its usually between me and one other guy for top scores. I used to blame the piss poor feel of the Glock and that horrid trigger for everyone elses poor scores.

I did let several deputys try my Sig and they all had high praise for it. Some of them shot higher scores than they have ever had before. I used to tell them to get rid of the plastic trash and get a real gun.

Some of them liked it enough that they bought their own and now carry the Sig.

But we got into a discussion and I was accused of not being able to shoot a Glock. No so I told them. I just chose not to. Having shot them numerous times, it just wasnt my cup of tea.

Naturally,the Range Officer got into the discussion and told me that if I had any balls, I'd go out with then next group and shoot the Glock. Cant do it I said...I aint got a Glock. Besides with that 3 mile long trigger pull I'd just embarass myself. So I used the fact that I didnt own a Glock to get me off the hook...and thought I had done so...right up until he pulled his out of the holster,cleared it and offered it up to me to shoot. Of course, he waited till half the dept. was there watching.

All of a sudden...shooting the Glock was about 2 things. One was my reputation which was on the line and the other were that fact that if I didnt shoot it, I would be considered to be minus my balls for the rest of my life.

So, being the good sport that I am, and to prove I coudl at least pass with 80 percent,I went out on the line again. I put the Glock though its course and I did the best I could...lots of people were watching and nonone knew what to expect.

The smoke cleared and the targets were scored. Mine happened to be the last one. There were some good scores and i was beggining to think that some were better than mine. Standing at the 25 line, I couldnt really tell where my last string of shots were. The Range Officer went to mine and counted it up. Then he motioned me to come look. Since I was the last, I had the whole group looking now and many comments were made.

When I walked up to the target, I couldnt believe it. I had scored a perfect 250, the only one that day. That was the subject of much ribbing and I still hear about it occasionaly. I've had several offers from the guys to trade my Sig for their Glock, a one guy even mentioned that if I had a Hight Point he would make an even trade.

The Sherrif even mentioned that he was gonna make it mandantory for everyone to carry Glocks, since even people that hated them seemed to able to shoot them.

What else can I say about the Glock? They work. They shoot. They are accurate. That ratty trigger apparently isnt as much of a hindrance as I made it out to be. Yeah...in my eyes they are ugly as sin, but I cant deny the fact that they work as well as anything out there.

So as a result, when talking about Glocks, I simply say, If it works for you...more power to ya !

Assistant Administrator
    Nice one HG -
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

My Glock 17 works for me. My wife's Glock 26 works for her. I wish I had the 26 for CC, but I'm fishing for a new CC, and may have one. Both Glocks can outshoot us, so to speak. Both have been 110% reliable for us, out of the box, since dirt days (last fall). Never an FTE. Never a FTF. They fit US, BUT, you have to make your own choice and decision.

We got 9mm due to easily available, cheap ammo. We got Glocks due to reputation of reliability out of the box without "tinkering". Right for us? Yep. Someone else? Maybe, maybe not.

Good luck, and spend time learning, listening, and reading, so you know the decision is as right for you as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns
    So as a result, when talking about Glocks, I simply say, If it works for you...more power to ya !
    My feeling exactly. I have no problems with people liking the guns I hate, nor do I have problems with people hating the guns I love. Just don't tell me that I should like Glocks or that the 1911 (my preference) is an inferior design. I can use my Commander to put 8 rounds inside or a 4" circle at 25'. That's all that counts. If you can do the same with your Glock, great! That doesn't change the fact that my 1911 still gets the job done.
    - Kurt
    “Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it.” ~Pericles of Athens
    Primary Carry - Colt Commander .45 in a Brommeland Max-Con V

Every gun has its purpose. A 1911 is like a Rolls-Royce. It will get you there in style, but you might have to clean it often and have high maintainence. A Glock is like a Chevy/Ford/Dodge truck. It will just get you there. No fussing, no frills, just plain dependable.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

My CZ's work well for me but so do my XD-9, Glock 23, Ruger GP-100, SP-101, Taurus 85 Ultralite, Sig P200 ST Langdon Edition, Para Ord C7.45, Walther P22 and Bersa Thunder .380. All fine guns by me, a variety of calibers and manufactuors and all FUN to shoot. It's great to have such a choice today, isn't it? And I wouldn't want to get shot by any of them! BTW, it's great how on this forum everyone has their opinion but states it respectfully. That seems to be getting rare, these days!
    "Let not your heart be troubled." John 14:1

USN Retired Vietnam/Desert Shield/Desert Storm

Quote Originally Posted by freakshow10mm
    It will get you there in style, but you might have to clean it often and have high maintainence.
    On what do you base this assertion? True, a tightly fit 1911 will require frequent cleaning to prevent malfunctions, but that's why I consider them to be unfit for defensive use. One built to Browning's original tolerances is just as forgiving of excess carbon in the action as any Glock.
    - Kurt
    “Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it.” ~Pericles of Athens
    Primary Carry - Colt Commander .45 in a Brommeland Max-Con V

I love my XD and cannot stand my buddy's 36 but on the other hand he loves his Glock and shoots it very well. When I pick it up it feels like I couldnt hit a bull in the ass with a bass fiddle. I think picking your gun should be a matter of your own opinion and base on what works for you. Just because alot of people like oranges doesnt me you cant think apples are better.
    CCW is not only a right its a responsability.

Joe

I would do the same. Sure, I make "tongue in cheek" remarks every now and then, and even when I get mine out of Lay-a-Way will still make T.inC. remarks but I am not one of those that will bash anothers choice.

Wayne

Distinguished Member Array 4my sons's Avatar
    [QUOTE=HotGuns]A "Glock" story...

Yeah...in my eyes they are ugly as sin, but I cant deny the fact that they work as well as anything out there.

=================================

Aint that what they say about the A10 Warthog, The tank busting plane that buried more than one Iraqi tank in the dessert.

Just like we all have favorite cars, tv shows and everything else. I think it's a much a personal decision as anything else.

Who would argue that their is no perfect ammo either. It's all about what works for you.

I by the way carry my G21 religiously. and love that mile wide set of sights on top.

I learned on a good old fashioned Colt Gvt 1911 when I was 8 or 9. When I borrowed a buddies 1911 to squeeze off a few. It felt real skinny, I'm not complaining, Just didn't feel right after using the glock for so many years

"fundamental principle of American law that a government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any individual citizen." [Warren v. District of Columbia,(D.C. Ct. of Ap., 1981)]
    If I have to explain it, you wouldn't understand

I have a friend that said "GLOCKs are for pimps" after I told him I had a GLOCK 26. He had some things to say about 9mm too. I asked hi why and he said "because they suck". He only seems to like 1911s and HK. While they are both great guns I believe GLOCK isn't any worse. I believe people like that are ignorant.

Although my next few purchases will be GLOCK 17/19/34, I also want to get a S&W 637, Kimber Tactical Custom II, 3" Ruger SP101, CZ-75 Compact, Sig 229 and the list goes on and on. I enjoy any gun that works and would like to own many different makes. I don't like to hear anyone bash my gun choices and refrain from doing it to others.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links