Browning Hi Power?

Browning Hi Power?

This is a discussion on Browning Hi Power? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Anyone have one? I have taken a liking to them, but they are scarce around here and I know I won't find a rental to ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: Browning Hi Power?

Browning Hi Power?

Anyone have one? I have taken a liking to them, but they are scarce around here and I know I won't find a rental to try, so looking for opinions. Thanks!
    NRA, GOA, GRNC member
    "Both the oligarch and tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of arms."
    - Aristotle

Talk to BikerRN. It's his EDC at the moment. He shoud be posting soon.
    Jeff
    NRA Member
    Kimber Ultra Carry II, Glock G23 & G36, Kahr PM9, Winchester 1300 Defender 12gauge pump
    (my favorite but hard to hide)

FMJ
    I bought mine way back in 73, paid $168.00 for the target model. Two things you will notice about the high power. They don't jam and they are not bulky framed like the newer 9mm's. High power ruled the 9mm scene till the late 80's when plastic guns came along.

I love mine. It now wears a Cylinder and Slide no bite hammer and sear set. The break is amazing. It also has grip tape on the grip panels and on the front/back straps. It carries as easily as my 1911's and my Kahr, which is excellent to say the least.

With the slick plastic grips and polished blue steel, it can move a bit in your hands, but with the grip tape it's awesome.

They come with a mag disconnect, but I removed mine. Everybody that's shot mine has wanted to know where they can get one (mine is a Hi Power copy, same thing for 1/3 the price).

I won't trade it for anything. I'd say it's a mandatory addition to anybody's collection.
    ~Mike F.
    http://www.ConcealedCampus.com
    http://www.a-human-right.com/
    "Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."

Here's my older Hi-Power. The Hi-Power is one of my very favorite automatics and the best way to go in 9mm handguns in my view. I like its all steel construction, its grip frame dimensions, its accuracy, and its reliability. Its also one good looking gun. Owning and shooting one will spoil a person.
    oldskeetshooter and Tzadik like this.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar

Just to make you Drool ...

I visited the John M. Browning museum a few weeks ago and took hundreds of photo's. Thought I would post a couple of the original High Power pistols in the collection. The top gun is the original prototype of JMB.

Yetiman likes this.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

I have one that I bought back in 1988. Never had any problems with it, and it's a pleasure to shoot. Put Pachmayr grips on it and feels great.

It's just too large for me to CC, so I have a compact Kimber for that.
    Attached Images

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    The Browning Hi Power is a true 9mm classic. A JM Browning classic design and the father of all single action 9mm pistols. It has the best grip, ergonomics and feel of any handgun bar none. It points more naturally than any handgun ever made.

Last edited by pirate; April 19th, 2009 at 10:12 AM.
    When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

Browning Hi-Power? Yahsureyoubetcha! Love 'em! My favorite 9mm. Just make a trip to the gunsmith to remove the mag disconnect and tune the trigger, and it's second to none.

Here's the 1991 MKIII:

And the Standard, with cocobolo grips by Craig Spiegel.

Add some Mec-Gar 15-round mags, a Surefire, and some gunleather from Eric Larsen, and you're ready for just about anything.
    Cheers,
    Rod
    "We're paratroopers. We're supposed to be surrounded!" Dick Winters

Love my HP. I have a 1986 HP. All Belgium. Great ergonomics. Points more naturally than any other handgun I've handled.

Great guns. My only problem with them is that the grip is too short.

Quote Originally Posted by johnsonabq View Post
    Talk to BikerRN. It's his EDC at the moment. He shoud be posting soon.
    I hold a fondness in my heart for "classic" handguns, of which the P-35 is one.

For the past couple of years I was carrying revolvers off duty, but finally decided to change platforms and go with a Single Action Autoloader. I was all set to spend a bunch of money on 1911's when I shot a friend's High Power. That and his comment over lunch led me down the path of High Power ownership.

You can see my current EDC in my avatar. I have another NIB Standard sitting in the safe. Both of them are .40 S&W caliber. I like the way the new cast frame High Powers point in my hand, handle recoil and give me a reliability that even my Glock doesn't. Just because something is old, like the High Power design, doesn't mean it doesn't work anymore, much like me.

It took me years to come around to the High Power, mostly because they aren't common in my neck of the woods. I've set mine up with Trijicon Night Sights and Crimson Trace Laser Grips. Besides a 5" 1911 I have found no self-loading pistol that feels as good in my hand. When I lay my P-35 next to my 1911 my eye is drawn to the P-35 and I continue to be amazed at what a genius John Browning was.

The High Power is a papered show horse when compared to the "grade" plow horse that is the 1911. The High Power's design addresses all of the weaknesses of the 1911, namely the barrel bushing and link pin. Some consider the Magazine Disconnect a design defect, but I do not, from a weapon retention standpoint.

No gun collection is complete without at least one Glock, a 1911, a good revolver or three and a High Power. They each have their attributes. One thing you will find is, there is not a lot of accessories available for the High Power, unlike the 1911. To me this is a testament to how good the P-35 is.

It is said that "John Browning hit a Home Run when he designed the 1911. He hit a Grand Slam when he designed the High Power." I happen to agree very strongly with that sentiment, and I like the 1911. The thing is, I love the High Power.

Biker
    Last edited by BikerRN; April 19th, 2009 at 04:36 AM. Reason: spelling

Here's a great site to learn about John Browning's best pistol design.

Hi Powers and Handguns

Biker

I've carried a Hi-Power off and on for the last 15 years, lov' em. My current one is a .40 cal Standard with meprolight sights and uncle mike grip panels.

VIP Member
    I too love my Hi-Power. You won't regret owning one.
    If the public are bound to yield obedience to laws to which they cannot give their approbation, they are slaves to those who make such laws and enforce them.--Samuel Adams as Candidus, Boston Gazette 20 Jan. 1772

Veteran--USA FA
    NRA Benefactor Life
    Tennessee Firearms Association Life

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links