Help me pick my carry guns

This is a discussion on Help me pick my carry guns within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm renewing (in CA, not a gimme...) next month and am limited to three handguns listed by s/n on my permit. The first - and ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help me pick my carry guns

I'm renewing (in CA, not a gimme...) next month and am limited to three handguns listed by s/n on my permit. The first - and undisputed favorite carry gun, is an HK P2000sk .40 LEM. Second sure thing is my HK USP .45 LEM.

Remember, in CA, only pistols civilian-owned pre-ban can hold more than 10 rounds. Both were purchased new by me, are stone reliable and in excellent condition. I'm more inclined to use one of these as a travel / vehicle gun unless something happened to the HKs. Also, I shoot both of these well so no major decider there.

So, my last is a pick between:

1) S & W Model 59 9mm, nickel plated, 14+1, DA/SA

2) Ruger SP101 38 Special 5-shot, great trigger work

Really, its your choice but if I was making the decision I'd go with the little Ruger revolver.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    Really, its your choice but if I was making the decision I'd go with the little Ruger revolver.
    Yep. Looks like you have your auto bases covered. Is the SP-101 a 2" or 3"? In the event you need a smaller gun, the Ruger should fit the bill.

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    I like the SP101 choice, myself.

I'm not sure, but your first two you put down are GREAT. They bear a striking resemblance to what I have.
    -Cody-

HK USP Tactical 45
    HK P2000SK .40, LEM, Night Sights

VIP Member
    Ok, based on our limited options to help you choose; I vote for the Ruger ~
    Regards,
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

More rounds is better so I vote for the Smith 59
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    While I have to confess a love for things with wheels, make the choice based on the one you shoot the best.
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

Quote Originally Posted by Rugergirl View Post
    While I have to confess a love for things with wheels, make the choice based on the one you shoot the best.
    I did, for the first two. I shoot both the 9mm and the Ruger well, the size advantage to the revolver but the capacity advantage to the 9mm. Realistically, both are very solid handguns and either would do the job. Now if they just allowed four pistols on a permit, or just get rid of that stupid "safe gun" roster so I can buy a P30!

This is something of a case like the Super Bowl era 49ers, with Joe Montana as the starting quarterback and Steve Young as his backup. Third string just seems sooooooo distant, like there might be a snowball's chance in hell of ever starting. Until Montana needed back surgery and Young twisted a knee or something. But that happened.

Revolver

You have semiautos well covered with the first two H&Ks, so I would go with the small revolver rather than the high capacity S&W semiauto. The revolver will be much more concealable when you wear certain clothing.

If it were me, I'd probably replace the 25 ounce, 5 shot .38 ruger with a S&W 642, a 15 ounce, 5 shot .38. That would allow pocket carry, which is a nice option to have.
    Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

Distinguished Member Array fotomaker57's Avatar
    My vote goes to the Ruger. Nice reliable pistol and very easy to conceal.
    Mike
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
    Thomas Jefferson

Ruger.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Looks like the Ruger SP101 is the favorite. I can't say that it doesn't deserve the recognition as it really is a great gun. Since I do feel confident with it and it does fill a gap that the HKs leave (that would be "pistol vs. revolver") and it is very concealable, the SP101 earns its new role alongside the HKs.

Thanks, everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by Rivers View Post
    Looks like the Ruger SP101 is the favorite. I can't say that it doesn't deserve the recognition as it really is a great gun. Since I do feel confident with it and it does fill a gap that the HKs leave (that would be "pistol vs. revolver") and it is very concealable, the SP101 earns its new role alongside the HKs.

Thanks, everyone!
    What ever works for ya'...but what a 'crock' that you have to pick the three you want to carry.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I would say go for the wheelgun. Keep a few speedloaders handy...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links