Messed up today...

Messed up today...

This is a discussion on Messed up today... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; New member by the way, great information here, thought I would share my experience today. Had my heart set on the XDsc, the old Walther ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Messed up today...

New member by the way, great information here, thought I would share my experience today.

Had my heart set on the XDsc, the old Walther P99 was just a little big, so I went down to price them. While I was there I happened to put a Kimber Ultra Carry II in my hand. Wow! I fell in love, my mind is changed so I did some research and it seems people were having feeding issues with these guns, I guess Kimber has implimented a 500 rd "break in" period. Just wanted to know if anyone had any experience with this. The Ultra Carry II is solid and fits perfect in my hand, plus it is very easy on the eyes. Alot of high reviews, just every once and again one of these feeding issue reviews pops up.

Don't crucify me if this has been discussed, I searched and couldn't find an answer. Thanks in advance for any responses.

Welcome to DC!

Some people believe that any advertised break-in period is a sign of an insufficiently-designed or -tested firearm.

I'm of the opinion that a break-in period is the only way to objectively validate that a human-manufactured item is worthy of betting your life on it.

Reality is, anything and everything that's mechanical will have some failure(s) at some point ... guaranteed. It's the result of the limitations of materials, human engineering and physics.

Either way, if you've found a quality firearm that displays a level of reliability and usefulness you can rely on, what's not to like? Enjoy it.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    I have the Pro Crimson Carry II and I have a minor feeding problem as well. I've found that with a new mag the strongs are too strong. If I load 8 rounds and try to chamber one the round will hit the feed ramp nose first and not follow the proper angle.
    Easy solution load 7, chamber one and top off the mag. As the spring tension weakens, gradually the problem solves itself. At first both gave me trouble, now just one is still a problem.
    Having the feed ramp polished will probably help most feeding issues as well. I've hand polished mine and it seems to be somewhat better.
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

Great info, thanks a bunch. I probably picked up and handled 100 plus handguns today, and the Kimber Ultra Carry II just felt the best by far. Keep the comments coming, thanks in advance again.

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    First off, Welcome to the forums.

My everyday carry is an Ultra Carry II. Mine shoots like a dream and is scary accurate. Very light on the hip, all day comfort with the right holster.

Be sure to properly break-in the gun with 4-500 rounds of 230g FMJ. Dont even think about carrying a 1911 until you are absolutely positive that its 100% reliable. Kimber makes a fine weapon and if broken in properly, you can bet your life on it ... I do.

I'm sure Retsupt will be by to give his un-biased opinion as well.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

Quote Originally Posted by Rugergirl View Post
    I have the Pro Crimson Carry II and I have a minor feeding problem as well. I've found that with a new mag the strongs are too strong. If I load 8 rounds and try to chamber one the round will hit the feed ramp nose first and not follow the proper angle.
    Easy solution load 7, chamber one and top off the mag. As the spring tension weakens, gradually the problem solves itself. At first both gave me trouble, now just one is still a problem.
    Having the feed ramp polished will probably help most feeding issues as well. I've hand polished mine and it seems to be somewhat better.
    I have an Ultra Carry II with the same feed problems. I opened a tread discussion on that a few days ago (see FTF issues). I was reading up on it some, and it seems that maybe the feed ramp might be a bit short on some of these compacts. I got around it the same way, I chamber the first round and then load up the magazine. No feed problems then.

It is a very accurate gun to shoot, and feels soooo nice. Not too much recoil like some people say, at least not IMO. I put Crimson Trace grips on it, now it's my favorite to carry.

Deep six the extractor and magazines.

Replace them with a Chip McCormick tuned extractor and Wilson magazines and you should be GTG.

maybe you should look at some of the springfield 1911s,no feeding problems there i don't think.

Springfield Armory
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state, an intolerable one.
    ― Thomas Paine

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    Not to sidetrack your thread too badly but this same thing happens to some Springfield XD45's and everyone jumped on them saying they were junk and absolutely NO weapon worth carrying would have a fail to feed issue like this from the factory.

However, since this is a Kimber, it seems to be ok to polish the feed ramp, change mag springs and extractor and make it "good to go". Exactly the same fix for the Springfield XD45, minus an extractor.
    I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

I couldn't find a Glock that I liked, they just didn't work for me, but still a good gun. I picked up a Springfield 1911, I guess it would be the comprabable model to the Ultra carry II and it didn't feel as good, but I will check them out some more. Thanks for the advice!

Distinguished Member Array JerryM's Avatar
    My SA guns did not require that break in. In fact if I knew it would I would not buy the gun.
    Many have said that one should fire at least 200 rounds of your intended carry ammo. So fire 300 rounds of ball at about $.50/ rd, and then 200 rounds of premium at $1 per round or more. If it malfunctions then we have to increase the number of rounds fired.
    Not for me.

I have in my safe 5 commercial guns, and an old GI. They are reliable, but it took a lot of time, some money, and effort to get them that way. I would not do it again knowing what I know about other Semi Auto guns.

I have not heard of such requirements with any gun but 1911s.

If I shoot 100 rounds or so, and it malfunctions back to the factory it goes. My experience with Kimber is that CS is poor, and that is a deciding factor to go with SA.

It has always seemed strange as to the emphasis placed on polishing the feed ramp. When I go to the range and shoot a couple hundred rounds the feed ramp is caked with carbon. Now if the ramp must be so smooth why does not the gun malfunction? But it doesn't.

I won't argue the point, but it is subject I wonder about.

Regards,
    Jerry

I have a friend who had one and a fellow officer who got one for off duty carry. Both of them had problems. I tried new mags different ammo..nothing stopped the jamming.

They both got rid of them before the break in period.

Many of the officer here carry the Kimber for duty and have no problems.

I like the kimber but not the little ones.
    "Arms in the hands of individual citizens may be used at individual discretion..in private self defense." John Adams

My parade just got pee'd on.

What model in Springfield do you think is the most similar to the Ultara Carry II? How does the accuracy match up?

I still don't know, the Kimber just felt so good. But for that kind of $$, I expect better then what I am hearing.

So you have to buy a $1000 gun, put another few hundred in to it to be trustworthy and we are all OK with this.

This is why I sold my Kimber. For me, I just did not trust it. It would still jam once in a while no matter what I changed on it. Some people will compromise themselves in to saying it is a mag issue or a ammo issue or they were limp wristing. If this is a carry gun just make sure you believe in it because it is the gun that might have to save your life one day.

It might feel better in your hand but that does not make it the best gun. Guns are not suppose to be too comfortable. That's like saying my golf swing feels good. :) I own a couple of 1911's I love to shoot them and I show them to my friends all the time. I carry a Glock.

Kimbers tend to go either way as far as trust goes. The 1911 guys love them, the polymer guys do not. Go figure. In the end you are the one that has to decide. Once you take your first training class and you are changing mags twice as fast as everybody else and running out of ammo in mags or having to carry twice as many mags just to keep up with the class because you only have 7 shots and everybody else has 15+.

These are just my opinions and experiences. I am sure I am going to catch hell for this post but that is OK. :)

I appreciate the honesty.
    But I don't have to buy a $1000 gun, out of all the guns I handled this is what felt best in my hand. If that was all that mattered I would have bought it on the spot, that is why I started this thread, to get more info. And I do really apreciate the honesty and value your opinion, and I carry a Walther P99 now(polymer). I always under the assumption that if it wasn't comfortable in your hand it may create problems on the range. I take this same approach when purchasing a rifle, shotgun, or bow. I throw them up and if they don't feel good then I move on. Maybe I am wrong, that is why I am here, to find out.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links