Considering a new sub-compact for pocket carry

This is a discussion on Considering a new sub-compact for pocket carry within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Am considering getting a new sub-compact for "Pocket Carry". Had a P3AT a while back, it was useable, and I loved the size/weight, but am ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Considering a new sub-compact for pocket carry

Considering a new sub-compact for pocket carry

Am considering getting a new sub-compact for "Pocket Carry". Had a P3AT a while back, it was useable, and I loved the size/weight, but am sure I can find something nicer. Top two contenders so far are S&W 642 and Kahr PM9. Can't seem to choose between em. Both have reputation for being reliable and consealable, I'm kind of leaning toward the Kahr, as it's quicker to reload, and Tritium night sights are an available option, I love the ones on my Kimber Tactical Ultra-II. Other thoughts/suggestions?

2. Remove Ads

I find autos to be tougher to draw from a pocket than a revolver. I have a 642 and it's a nice little gun. Nowhere near as flat as a P3AT or Ruger LCP. Depends on what you'll be wearing. Ever see this pocket carry video?

YouTube - Pocket Carry

That PM9 is an excellent gun...but so is the 642, they are both point and click so get what you like best.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

I have the pm 9 and the p 3at and have 500 rds thru the kahr and 250 thru the keltec in a week and a 1/2 both have been perfect. I'm happy with my purchases.

VIP Member
    As much as I like my autos' I trust my revolver much more ~
    Regards,
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

jfl
    You are the only one who can make the choice.
    Find a place where you can borrow, rent, whatever, the guns you have in mind, then you can decide.
    I love Glocks, some find the grip difficult; my wife loves her S&W Scandium .357, it kicks like several mules, I hate it.
    The first rule of a gunfight: "Don't be there !"
    The second rule: "Bring enough gun"

jfl
    (NRA Life Member/Instructor - GOA - IDPA - GSSF - ex-IHMSA)

My EDC is a Kimber (1911)...but for those times I want to pocket carry, my KelTec .380 is perfect. I've had that KT for over 5 or 6 years and it has always gone bang...never a problem.
    I also have my wife's S&W 637 and it's also pretty easy to pocket carry.
    YOU have to choose what's right for you.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I sometimes pocket carry my 442, but my subcompacts are more challenging.
    Duty, Honor, Country...MEDIC!!!
    ¡Cuánto duele crecer, cuan hondo es el dolor de alzarse en puntillas y observar con temblores de angustia, esa cosa tremenda, que es la vida del hombre! - René Marqués

For pocket carry I use 2 weapons..... the Keltec 380 you already have, and the S&W 642, you are thinking about. You can see by my SIG line, I love my Sig's, but i carry the Smith more than any gun. A pocket carry in a holster to me is a near perfect carry option......

1942 M3 Autocar Half-track...M3A1 Diamond T Half-track...57mm Anti-Tank Cannon

NRA Endowment Member...President West TN Military Vehicle Collectors...MVPA Member

Maybe a Ruger SP101?

I don't have a 642 but I do have the PM9 and it has become my EDC in front pocket. (BTW I have a Smith model 60 - heavier/4" barrel - it is my go-to next-to-the-bed gun). I have an XD9sc that I love to shoot and intended to be my main carry and did carry it for awhile. I got an LCP for times when my work clothing requirements didn't work too well with the XD in an IWB holster. I like the LCP but wanted some way to stay with 9mm - Enter the PM9. It is bigger than the LCP but not by much. The main difference is weight, but having carried both the LCP and the PM9, I really don't notice the difference much. Those that want to pocket carry in lightweight clothing may likely find the difference to be too great.
    The PM9 is with me everyday now in front pocket - the XD once in a while if I'm going somewhere where I feel I want the extra round count in the gun. Oh, and if you get the PM9, get the night sites - they're great.

I have pocket holsters for the LCP and PM9 from Pocket Holsters Here are a couple of photos to compare the size.

I would go with the Kahr PM9. In 9mm, especially with a +P load, it is more powerful than the .38 Special and you get two more rounds, (6+1 vs. 5), to defend yourself. Plus, as you noted, you get usable sights too, even tritium night sights! JMHO.
    God bless our troops!

S&W J frames are great for pocket carry

This is just my opinion and I could be way off here, but I feel that pocket carrying leaves the firearm way more suceptible to dust, lent, etc. That being said, if I choose to pocket carry, I would go with the revolver because dust, lent etc. would be less of a problem for it. Anyway just my 2 cents.

Love your 1st and 2nd choice however.
    ‘‘The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose.’’ — James Earl Jones, Actor

Lightbulb S&W Humpbacks

+1 on the S&W 640 (.357mag) and 642 (.38+p) humpbacks for concealable self defense weapons. Sometimes when walking the dog late at night, having my hand in my pocket already wrapped around a gun that will shoot through the pocket if necessary is a comfort.
    SHOOTER13
    ================
    DoD: Peace thru Superior Firepower

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links