What's up with the rotating barrel?

This is a discussion on What's up with the rotating barrel? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; FOM just purchased a Beretta Storm .45 and one thing that impressed him about it was that it had a "rotating barrel". Thing is - ...

Thread: What's up with the rotating barrel?

Distinguished Member Array ArmyCop's Avatar

What's up with the rotating barrel?

FOM just purchased a Beretta Storm .45 and one thing that impressed him about it was that it had a "rotating barrel".
    Thing is - he can't tell me what the rotating barrel accomplishes (better accuracy, less recoil???).

Can someone here enlighten me on the advantage of a rotating barrel?
    For God, Family and Country!

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    The storm can be re-configured to be a lefty. I suspect this may be what he's talking about. Can't imagine it having a rotating barrel for a number of reasons. It's a rifled barrel and the rifling wouldn't work if the barrel rotated... I think he's just calling something by the wrong name. I've looked at the Storms a lot over the past year and I don't believe they do anything differently than a typical pistol action.

Great gun with the only limitation being the lack of higher capacity mags for the .45 version. Still Iwouldn't hesitate to get one in that caliber if I could afford it!

Distinguished Member Array ripley16's Avatar
    The rotating barrel serves the same purpose as the traditional Browning link, that is, it maintains a slide to barrel lock until the pressure decreases. The difference is that the movement is not vertical, but rather more of a circular "torque" movement that allows the barrel to stay "on target" longer. Is is supposed to help with recoil movement also, as the rotating link may be in contact longer. It also makes the whole barrel and link thinner, thus a lower bore axis. Several pistols utilize this type of system.

It's just another way to make a gun.

I have a Storm 9mm and from what I have read Its suppossed to help with recoil and I find it to be a very accurate its one of my favorite guns to shoot .

Here is an excellent article that explains the advantages and design principles behind the rotating barrel lockup.

Beretta PX4 Storm .45
    I always aim for the right eye...and I never miss - Goldeneye

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Warmon View Post
    Here is an excellent article that explains the advantages and design principles behind the rotating barrel lockup.

Beretta PX4 Storm .45
    Excellent resource – thanks! Dang, I’m soOoo old school as I’ve been away from the hobby for a bit too long.

Tidbit: I don’t see the US Military re-adopting the .45, as the change to 9mm was a NATO alliance agreement. But then again, my knowledge curve is still on the down stroke.
    Regards,
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

gun-tests.com had a review of the the Storm and Cougar a while back and they raved about how accurate the rotating barrel design was. Seems like a neat concept that works.
    " Government is not reason, it is not eloquence, it is force; like fire, a troublesome servant and a fearful master." George Washington

By rotating as the action cycles, the barrel stays on a single plane, not dropping down like the Browning design. The benefits are increased accuracy and "softer' felt recoil with less muzzle flip. My Beretta Cougar 8000D uses the same system (the Px4 series grew out of the Cougars) and it is definitley the softest shooting 9mm I've fired, and much more accurate than I am, but so are the rest of my guns.

Links