.22 revolver choices..HELP ME!

This is a discussion on .22 revolver choices..HELP ME! within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am interested in a .22LR revolver and a .22Mag (WMR) I have my eye on the Taurus Model 94 .22 and the Taurus Model ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .22 revolver choices..HELP ME!

Distinguished Member Array Siafu's Avatar

.22 revolver choices..HELP ME!

I am interested in a .22LR revolver and a .22Mag (WMR)

I have my eye on the Taurus Model 94 .22 and the Taurus Model 941 .22 WMR.

Which one should I be looking harder at? The .22 WMR has 1800 FPS muzzle velocity out of a 2 inch barrel !!! The .22LR is a little less fiery but at defensive distances which is more desirable?

Does any one here have either of these weapons? First hand impressions?

Thanks for your anticipated commentary.

2. Remove Ads

It depends on your application. If you are going for defensive firearm the .22 WMR is a much better performer. It however, is expensive to practice with and still not the best defensive choice. You can have a better defensive caliber in the same package size if that is what matters. My opinion, .22's are for plinking targets. If that is you goal, .22lr is VERY cheap. Squirrels can survive this round, so think hard about carrying it. Look at a subcompact 9mm or .380 in the same size/price range.
    The Problem: When stupid people do stupid things, smart people end up getting killed.

I have a couple of smiths, a model 63 in 22lr, which I like ok, and a 351pd in 22mag, which I love. the .22mag is a hoot to shoot, with enough bang, blast, and recoil to know you are shooting something, yet very manageable. It is my hiking gun. Yeah, ammo is not cheap, but its about half of what centerfire ammo costs, and because it is not very popular it is relatively easy to find.

For a defensive situation? I won't go into it's acceptability as a defensive round as I'm sure you have done your fair share of research and made up your mind on the caliber.

With that said, for a defensive situation I would opt for the 22 mag; quite simply, you are getting a .22LR rifle power out of a pistol. I am trying to find any articles or mention of over-penetration while using the .22 mag, and I can't find any mention of it. I say, go for the magnum.

IF you are simply wanting a plinking pistol, I say go for the LR (and a longer barrel)
    Beretta 92FS

Why not get the Ruger Single-Six and satisfy both needs.

One pistola, with two cyclinders...22LR and .22Mag...

Ruger New Model Super Single-Six® *Single Action*Revolvers
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by Tros View Post
    For a defensive situation? I won't go into it's acceptability as a defensive round as I'm sure you have done your fair share of research and made up your mind on the caliber.

With that said, for a defensive situation I would opt for the 22 mag; quite simply, you are getting a .22LR rifle power out of a pistol. I am trying to find any articles or mention of over-penetration while using the .22 mag, and I can't find any mention of it. I say, go for the magnum.

IF you are simply wanting a plinking pistol, I say go for the LR (and a longer barrel)
    I bought a S&W 642 for the Lil' woman but because of her diminutive stature the .38 is proving to be a little more than she cares to handle. The thought of a semi is out of the question for her so I am sniffing around the .22 bush for a reliable revolver with enough to get a defensive job done should the need ever arise. 9 rounds of .22LR or 8 rounds of .22 WMR should be enough ammo, and the reliability of quality .22 ammo is pretty darn good IMHO. I read an Ayoob article where he praised the .22 WMR for its excellent penetration and stopping power.

Interesting ballistic information about the .22WMR:
    http://www.brassfetcher.com/index_files/Page1504.htm

I've chronographed several .22 Magnum loads through my dad's 4-inch Colt New Frontier over the years and found that they generally attained 1350-1450 fps. I don't know that the .22 Magnum could achieve 1800 fps from a 2-inch barrel.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    I've chronographed several .22 Magnum loads through my dad's 4-inch Colt New Frontier over the years and found that they generally attained 1350-1450 fps. I don't know that the .22 Magnum could achieve 1800 fps from a 2-inch barrel.
    Even at 1450 FPS from a 4 inch barrel one could expect 1200fps from a 2 inch barrel. Thats pretty fast! With a quality FMJ it could be a very mildly recoiling day-wrecker.

i have two Ruger Single-Six's, one in SS and the other blued. I don't carry them for personal defense, but my SS model has been on my saddle for years. On my saddle I carry rat shot in it for dispatching snakes and animal attitude adjustments. I have had to show it before to hold trespassers until LE arrived, which is legal, just glad never went further. Great gun w. the .22mag, my dad uses it to dispatch dillers in the yard at night and loves it. It is like two guns in one

i would look at the ruger. great gun.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

Quote Originally Posted by frankmako View Post
    i would look at the ruger. great gun.
    I like the Ruger too but it is for HER and a Single-Six won't fit in her purse.

Siafu, I'm just wondering but could a fellow come up with some factory loaded 148 grain full wadcutter loads. Perhaps your wife could shoot them well in that Model 642. Blunt, sharp shouldered, and decent bullet weight, an assailant could be said to be having a bad day if thumped with one or two of them. Recoil would be more manageable.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Colt Diamondback is a really sweet gun, although a bit pricey right now. Obviously not for defensive applications, but I really want one.

See below. S&W 317, 2" barrel. 8 shots .22 LR. Load it up with Stingers nd you are not all that far behind the WMR from a 2".
    I use it as trainer for the 4 J-Frames I EDC, but are too expensive to shoot real often. Worth the money, it is a great little gun, light and 8 shots, accurate at SD range.

Retired Marine, Retired School Teacher, Independent voter, Goldwater Conservative.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links