USP Compact or Sig p239?

This is a discussion on USP Compact or Sig p239? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; OK, so I'm bored and pretty much broke and waiting for my permit to get issued. Have probably another 6 weeks to wait. Since I ...

Thread: USP Compact or Sig p239?

USP Compact or Sig p239?

OK, so I'm bored and pretty much broke and waiting for my permit to get issued. Have probably another 6 weeks to wait.

Since I don't have the coin to buy a new gun, I'm playing the "if I did, what would I get" game.

I have a USP compact in .40, and a Taurus PT99 9mm for autos, and several wheel guns in 357 and an assortment of .22s.

The P239 really caught my eye at the gunshop last week. But, if I was going to buy another 9mm, a USP compact makes sense as it would be less expensive to shoot, but the same format as my .40 which I plan to carry. Plus it would fit the holsters I already have.

On the other hand, that 239 was really sweet.

Do they make a .22 conversion for the 239 yet? I looked around a bit and didn't see one. If they do, that would be a big selling point on the 239 for me as nobody seems to make a conversion for the USP compact.

Of course, I could go the 45 route and get an M&P or maybe a Kimber ultra carry II.

So many guns, so little time, and even less money.
    NRA Life Member.
    H&K USP Compact .40
    Among others.

2. Remove Ads

Thise 239s are so small and compact, and very accurate....I would go with that.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Senior Moderator
    No .22 conversion.

If you get the 230 in .40 though, you can swap out the barrels and have a 9mm or .357 Sig.

Something to think about.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

P239 is a great little gun, I carry mine almost exclusively.
    ‘‘The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose.’’ — James Earl Jones, Actor

I have no experience personally with Sigs but always here good things about them. I have a USPc in 9mm and I would never part with it. As you already know HK makes a great gun. I also like variety though so why not get something different? You could always go another way and get the HK45 compact
    Glock 26 4gen, H&K USPc, S&W 642, Wilson Combat 1911 CQB

Quote Originally Posted by Bowie View Post
    I have no experience personally with Sigs but always here good things about them. I have a USPc in 9mm and I would never part with it. As you already know HK makes a great gun. I also like variety though so why not get something different? You could always go another way and get the HK45 compact
    I carry the USPc .40 and don't regret my choice, but everyone needs a Sig. There maybe a 230 in my future...... You really can't go wrong either way
    GUN CONTROL= I WANT TO BE THE ONE IN CONTROL OF THE GUN

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

I would buy the USPc...It makes more sense.
    -Cody-

HK USP Tactical 45
    HK P2000SK .40, LEM, Night Sights

It is a toss up between the two. I would go with thw USP Compact 9mm since you already own a 40. Holster would be the same for both. Also the Sig is a decock, fire DA first shot. The USP is decock DA first shot or SA cocked and locked, or as far as it goes, decock DA first shot and locked with safety on. In other words the USP is more versitile. One draw back of the USP over the Sig is the DA trigger. The USP is usually gritty and jerky. The Sig is usually lighter and very smooth. So I guess it's what you want in a gun. Another advantage in the Sig. You can get Crimson Trace Laser grips for the Sig and not the USP.

I have a USP compact in 9 mm. I also handled a Sig 239 recently. I have always had a thing for sigs, but I wasn't impressed with the 239. Less rounds, about the same size except for width as the USP. More options on the USP. If price were the same, I'd go usp. If you want to save a little dough, get a glock 19.

I don't own a P239 but I do own a P220 and a USPc .40 and either one of them would be a great choice. Personally I prefer the USPc because a Variant 1 H&K can be carried in Condition One.

Be Safe

NosaM

I have not owned or shot the USP. However, the P239 is my favorite carry gun. A sweet little shooter that's easy to conceal and carry. They are more accurate than they have a right to be, and all the examples I've shot have a really good trigger action (DAK is a nice DAO option, but not my preference). Top of the line in reliability, and for a small gun, very "shootable" in .40 or .357 (extra sweet shooter in 9mm). Oh, and they are nice looking too...especially those with a set of Nill grips.

In an attempt not to be too biased, the common complaints I've heard...Looking strictly at the numbers it's capacity to size ratio isn't as good as some. Although, if you feel the need for more capacity, the thin single-stack mags make it easy to carry a spare (even in a pocket). If you use a high thumbs-up grip you may tend to touch the slide catch, which will result in the slide not locking on the last round. I tend to do this about 1 out of 5 times, but don't consider it a show stopper so I haven't tried to change my grip. Some with larger hands think the stock grips are too thin. Although, that is usually simple to fix with a set of nice wood Nill or Hogue grips. A cheaper route is the hogue rubber finger groove grips. I like the stock grips, but I have heat stippled them to add a more aggressive feel.

Hope this helps.

Links