P232 de-cocking lever question

This is a discussion on P232 de-cocking lever question within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi I have a question before I go out and try my new P232. Please help me get this straight as I've only used a ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hi I have a question before I go out and try my new P232.
    Please help me get this straight as I've only used a glock before.
    So even if there is a bullet chambered I can use this lever to uncock the pistol? Pushing this lever down so the hammer goes back down will not fire the gun correct?

correct,the decocker is used to safely decock a gun that has a live round in the chamber without firing the weapon
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

ok, thank you.

Distinguished Member Array ripley16's Avatar
    In addition to the decocker being perfectly safe, the hammer is a rebounding hammer, that is, it does not rest on the firing pin but rather rests in a position between the firing pin and the cocked postion. A very safe pistol to carry.

Lead Moderator
    And, always use the decocker, never try and lower the hammer by hand!
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Administrator
    Use the SIG decock lever the way it was designed to be used.
    Which would be to allow the hammer to fall forward on its own.
    You should not use the decock and ease the hammer down with the other hand.
    Just as a matter of routine and habitual safety you should point the muzzle in a safe direction and hit the decock.
    Though it is actually physically impossible for the SIG system to discharge during the decock procedure.

Though it is actually physically impossible for the SIG system to discharge during the decock procedure.
    Yes, the Sig P232 has an internal firing pin block that requires the trigger to be pulled also.

Thank you all. As you can tell I'm a beginner with hand guns and needed all this info. My add on question was if this gun accidents fell on the floor(like a bathroom story at Carl's jr I just read) it should not go off? I'm just not use to a firearm without a saftey. But i think you already answered this.

The gun should not fire from a drop on a floor,I'm really sceptical about the bathroom story,even cocked ,without the trigger being pulled the gun should not fire
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

VIP Member
    Some guns are safer than others....Sigs are the safest pistols made, no one has been able to convince me otherwise......(and very few try).

The really nice thing about the Sig de-cocker is that the hammer can be lowered as fast, or slowly as you like. Most (or all) other de-cockers allow the hammer down all at once, the Sigs allows you to control the decock.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

I just purchased my 1st Sig (P239-40) and after reading the owners manual cover to cover I was still unsure if the decocker allowed the hammer to rest in a position that can allow an AD. All the manual stated was that the decocker should be used to safely decock the hammer. It said nothing about the state of the hammer after it was decocked. One quick search and here's the answer I was looking for..Gotta love this forum..
    To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them. Richard Henry Lee 1788

Quote Originally Posted by i10casual View Post
    My add on question was if this gun accidents fell on the floor(like a bathroom story at Carl's jr I just read) it should not go off?
    IF one had the hammer back (SA mode) and the pistol landed on the hammer, it could break the sear surface and fire.

But. I will assume you're carrying the way Sig tells you to- hammer down on a live round for DA first shot, SA thereafter...

Quote Originally Posted by Rob72 View Post
    IF one had the hammer back (SA mode) and the pistol landed on the hammer, it could break the sear surface and fire.

But. I will assume you're carrying the way Sig tells you to- hammer down on a live round for DA first shot, SA thereafter...
    Actually, even then, it still shouldn't fire (theoretically), since it has the FP block safety - Right? The trigger has to be in rear-most position (i.e., pulled fully) in order for the FP to contact the primer upon the hammer dropping, correct?

Regards,

Bones
    "I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones." -Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by JoeyBones View Post
    Actually, even then, it still shouldn't fire (theoretically), since it has the FP block safety - Right? The trigger has to be in rear-most position (i.e., pulled fully) in order for the FP to contact the primer upon the hammer dropping, correct?
    Regards,

Bones
    That is correct in the P232 model. The earlier P230 did not have the firing pin block.

That aside, I doubt the bathroom story, sounds to me like someone playing around.

Have the same 'decocker' set up on my Baretta 9000S...I trust the decocker, but still make sure of the direction when used and the object behind the wall in that direction.
    I never worried about the decocker use firing the weapon.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links