M&P9 vs FNP9

This is a discussion on M&P9 vs FNP9 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This has probably come up in the past, but I can't seem to find any info. Which would you choose for a carry gun, M&P9 ...

Thread: M&P9 vs FNP9

M&P9 vs FNP9

This has probably come up in the past, but I can't seem to find any info. Which would you choose for a carry gun, M&P9 or the FNP9?
    I been carrying on a daily basis for almost 30 years. I've carried alot of different guns from J frames to 1911's. I learn so much from fellow members, I just need your thoughts on the 2 different pistols. Thanks in advance for your help.

2. Remove Ads

I really like FN's weapons and think they make the best pistol on the market. It's not the FNP though, and it's not the new FN 5.7 either.

With that said, the M&P gives you the same trigger for each shot while the FNP is a traditional DA/SA "krunchenticker" that is a solution to a non-existant problem in my book. Thank you Col. Cooper, RIP.

I much prefer the same trigger feel for each shot, be it DA or SA. If I had to choose a traditional DA/SA design I would have to give strong consideration to the FNP though. It has many qualities and features I like, but would prefer a DAO or a traditional SA pistol.

FNH makes great weapons, and their quality is outstanding IME. On their name alone I would be unafraid of buying one of the FNP's if I was in the market for a "plastic" handgun and wanted a DA/SA.

Biker

I personally for a carry gun prefer the same trigger pull with each shot,I realise that training is important ,and I shoot many handguns some SA only and some DA/SA.I carry a M&P45 Compact,or a 1911 45 compact
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

FNP. Nice gun and well made. I'm just not a fan of the M&P at all.
    -Cody-

HK USP Tactical 45
    HK P2000SK .40, LEM, Night Sights

VIP Member
    I carry an FNP-9 but I never shot an M&M. The FNP is a nice solid weapon, shoots accurately and eats all kinds of ammo. I shoot it regularly in IDPA matches and it may have close to 2,000 rounds through it without a single malfunction. Other than a magazine that refuses to help the gun slide lock, it is a very reliable weapon.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Both are fine guns...just depends on which action you like best. Being more used to DA revolvers, the FNP9 and FNP9M(compact version) work real well for me. over 5000rds and not one jam so far.

Although I do not own one I have shot a couple of them and in MHO it is a very underrated gun. When I was ready to buy a 9mm I was considering the Glock 19, the S&W 9mm M&P, Beretta 92fs, and the FNP9. These were the four choices I thought were the best. Of course these things are always debatable. For numerous reasons I went with the M&P. I don't regret it. Is been a really good reliable gun but I really like the FNP. If I had more money at the time I might have gone with the FNP.
    JimH
    Kentucky
    S&W 442, Bersa 380, S&W 9mm M&P, Springfield XD40c
    Member: NRA, USCCA

My Wife let me shoot her M&P the last time we were at the range. Seems to handle very well and the fit / finish was pretty nice. Pretty accurate as well and in my opinion, you can't go wrong with a S&W!

I've owned an M&P40 and had mag drop issues with it. Right now, I'm "iffy" about owning another one.

G19, G23, P2000 (9mm), LMT Defender 2000 (SOPMOD), Colt LE6920, Ruger 10/22

The FNP has had a lot of well documented issues. I can't stand the flimsy controls.

I have owned both, now only the FN. DA/SA and a decocker. Also, the trigger is close to the trigger guard for a good trigger pull.

Links