Ideas&acessories for GP100 6in barrel??

This is a discussion on Ideas&acessories for GP100 6in barrel?? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi, all. I just purchased a Ruger GP100 with a 6 in' barrel. I've since ordered the Williams sights for it. I have heard some ...

Thread: Ideas&acessories for GP100 6in barrel??

Ideas&acessories for GP100 6in barrel??

Hi, all.

I just purchased a Ruger GP100 with a 6 in' barrel. I've since ordered the Williams sights for it. I have heard some scuttlebutt about the Wolff trigger springs for it, but need to know more. Also, does anyone have any good ideas for a good CCW holster for it?
    Trapped behind the lines in the Peoples Democratic Republic of New Jersey......NRA Certified Firearms Instructor-2009.

2. Remove Ads

Sorry, I don't have answers to your questions. However, I suggest that you purchase a different firearm for CC. The 6'' barrel is going to make it difficult to conceal and probably uncomfortable. In addition, the small capacity will necessitate the carrying of extra ammo, which will mean added hassle, given the fact that speedloaders are round and bulky.

Distinguished Member Array Der Alte's Avatar
    For a hog that big you would probably want a briefcase.
    Its a shame that youth is wasted on the young.

I think that you might want to try a much smaller revolver for concealed carry. I have a model 85 made by Taurus that might work a little better.

First off, you NEVER modfiy your defensive gun, NEVER, especially trigger springs, you'd have a slim to no chance winning in court if you have to shoot someone with a modified gun, espically in NJ. The prosecutor will grin and use that against you in court.

With that said, you'll need this to carry: bianchi x15 shoulder holster - Google Product Search

I have the same revolver in a 6" barrel and I CC it in the winter and it's not a comfort gun to carry but I'm a big guy so my size offsets the weight of the hand cannon and my coat conceals it. But in the summer I carry a 357 sig IWB. 357 is my favorite, probably why I have a sign on my house that says I don't dial 911, I dial 357 :-).

I have the answer. Trade or buy outright, the GP-100, 4" [or 3"] for CCW.
    My 4" rides in a Fist OWB and it is easy to cover with a vest, jacket or tee shirt. The gun is held somewhat high and tight for reasonable concealment. Call them at Fist holsters and ask about a holster for your gun. They may have what you need and the price is right.

Hiding the 6" CAN be done. I toted for a short time, a Ruger with a 7 1/2" barrel. Carried it in one of those belly band holsters with the strap over the shoulder. The gun was tucked on my side. It actually worked OK but presentation was slower than I cared for. In either case, your GP 6" is a great gun.

I don't know about the Wolf spring job. But, you can use either speed strips or speed loaders for reloads. Don't let anybody tell you that you are out-gunned with a revolver.
    If you are proficient with it then, you are good to go.

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    I got some light strikes (ding in primer, but no ignition) when I tried a lighter mainspring in my first GP100. I put the stock mainspring back in it. It still has the lighter trigger return spring in place, but I can't say it needs it, as a newer fixed-sight GP100 I bought later has both of its stock springs, and I shoot it well enough.

Really, a few hundred dry fires will work wonders on the smoothness of the action.

I can't say much about a CC rig for it. If you are a big guy, it may work well. I am not a big guy; while I can conceal a 4" GP100 or S&W N-frame well enough, a 6" weapon is a whole new game.

Thanks for the skinny, y'all. I'm about 6 ft. 235 lbs, so I'm pretty good about hiding larger pistols. My primary carry is a Glock 36, with an IWB holster. However, since I got this beautiful GP 100, I'd just like to be able to carry it if I need to. I've heard good feedback on the Bianchi 5BHL (model 10245). Anyone have any experience with it?
    Trapped behind the lines in the Peoples Democratic Republic of New Jersey......NRA Certified Firearms Instructor-2009.

Links