Sig SAO compared to 1911-style safety

This is a discussion on Sig SAO compared to 1911-style safety within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Title says it all: how does a Sig SAO compare to a 1911 in terms of ease of use? A cocked and locked 1911 is ...

Thread: Sig SAO compared to 1911-style safety

Title says it all: how does a Sig SAO compare to a 1911 in terms of ease of use? A cocked and locked 1911 is very easy to draw and swipe the safety down, with no impact on the speed of the draw (that I'm aware of). I'd like do pick up a Sig, but I'm a poor shot with DA/SA guns and the DAK triggers are a little long for my taste. The SAO looks promising...

-B
    RIP, Jeff Dorr: 1964 - July 17, 2009. You will be missed.

Defensive Carry Search Tips

Step 1 - Choose a subforum on right side under "Search in Forum(s)"
    Step 2 - Type general topic of interest in "Search by Keyword" textbox.
    Step 3 - Read results and refine/repeat as necessary.

Love my P220 SAO. Been a good ten years since I've had any 1911 style pistol, but this single action is like second nature for me. The thumb safety may be a bit higher on the SIG, but it's operational for me. Very positive engagement, and best part is, you can rack the slide and chamber a round with the thumb safety engaged! The supposed 5lb trigger on this pistol is very smooth IMO, and rivals my Glocks factory trigger pulls from reset. I just can't say enough about the SIG P220 SAO. It's truly amazing I was able to come across this pistol in trade for my former G30 while actually looking for another 1911. I consider myself a lucky man.

VIP Member
    I'll find out Friday when I take out my SAO for the first time.

ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by BAC View Post
    Title says it all: how does a Sig SAO compare to a 1911 in terms of ease of use? A cocked and locked 1911 is very easy to draw and swipe the safety down, with no impact on the speed of the draw (that I'm aware of). I'd like do pick up a Sig, but I'm a poor shot with DA/SA guns and the DAK triggers are a little long for my taste. The SAO looks promising...

-B
    I had one, if wasn't much different than the 1911 in terms of drawing and removing the safety, I feel that the pad could be a little larger, but that's just me. The safety will probably be a little stiff as first, but it will break in nicely.

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    I just got a P220 Carry. As JD says, the safety was a bit stiff at first, but I am now 500 rounds into the gun and it is easy to manipulate. I was a little worried that the smaller size of the safety (compared to a 1911) would be an issue, but I haven't found that to be the case at all. Now, I don't have big hands by any stretch; with bigger hands your thumb might not hit in the sweet spot to manipulate the safety, but it's just right for me.

For what it's worth, I believe Bruce Gray (Gray Guns, Inc.) has been known to custom make oversized safeties for some SAO SIGs, but that would make the gun a tad wider because the safety lever would have to fit around the slide catch.
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

Thanks for the info guys. Very informative. I'll have to add a SIG SAO to my list...

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links