Whats the word on the Cobra Patriot 9mm?

This is a discussion on Whats the word on the Cobra Patriot 9mm? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Whats the word on Cobra handguns? I have a friend at work that is looking to buy 2 CCW guns for him and his wife ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Whats the word on the Cobra Patriot 9mm?

Whats the word on the Cobra Patriot 9mm?

Whats the word on Cobra handguns? I have a friend at work that is looking to buy 2 CCW guns for him and his wife but cost plays a big part in this. I don't want to talk Sig,S&W, HK to him. He just dosn't have that kind of money. He is of looking at the Patriot 9mm. He wants two good pocket size guns but only has about $500.00 to buy them both. Cal is not a big deal to him. 32,380,9mm will all be fine he said. Just wants a get off me gun that works.

Thanks for the help ya'll.

" I told him to look at Kel Tec's or used 38's"
    CCW: Never get killed for lack of shooting back!

2. Remove Ads

I think you gave your friend good advice. I personally don't have any experience with Cobra handguns, but do have some with Keltec's and Bersa's (I think you might be able to find both used for around $500 total).

Ideally, you would like to have your friend to have the opportunity to shoot several to see what he/she likes best.
    ‘‘The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose.’’ — James Earl Jones, Actor

Bersa's or Firestorm .380's you MIGHT be able to find two for that price. Just another option as I don't know the cobras. Good luck to him!
    Protection is a responsibility not just a right.

The word is that it is a POS - at least that's what I've heard. He should purchase a good-quality used firearm.

Stay away from cobra for SD,very unreliable feeding
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I second the bersa .380, that gun has shot very well for me with almost 1000 rounds of crap wolf ammo through it and only 1 stovepipe in the first box i shot. flawless since then.
    Sig P250c 9mm
    Bersa Thunder .380
    Kershaw Leek

Hopefully soon, RAA Saiga .223 and a Sig 1911 .45

Bersa.... Thats a great idea! I don't have one but have shot a few and my friends who have them seem to love them. What do they cost?
    CCW: Never get killed for lack of shooting back!

The Cobra patriot 9mm is (mechanically at least) a copy of the Kel-Tec P11, just not as well built and I’m sure not as well backed up by the factory. Kel-Tec has a reputation for excellent customer service.

Distinguished Member Array jarhead79's Avatar
    Stay away from the Cobra. I have heard very few good things. I owned the 9. It jammed. I took it in. They basically kept it a week, did nothing to it. I very quickly traded it in for something else.

The slide is loose, the barrel doesn't lock up, period. All around cheap.

Nate
    www.ubgholsters.com short wait times. Use 'defensivecarry' as a coupon code for a discount to your order.

Bersa or Kel tec will do just fine , I have owned Two of each
    and like them all
    I now have a Bersa .380 cc and a .380 plus and have had no
    trouble with them
    Zoe: "Preacher, don't the Bible have some pretty specific things to say about killing?

Book: "Quite specific. It is, however, somewhat fuzzier on the subject of kneecaps."

Have your friend look at J&G Sales J&G Sales they have a good stock of recently turned in (surplus) S&W model 64 revolvers ranging in price from $229.95-$249.95 this could be a viable option for a reliable defensive firearm that wont break the bank. Your friend could also look at the Zastava M88 a Tokarev clone in 9mm or .40 cal from European American Armory (EAACorp) http://www.eaacorp.com/zastava-m88-EI.html they usually sell for around $240-$260.

EVER FORWARD
    Last edited by 11aLT; April 23rd, 2009 at 02:26 PM.

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    The Cobra patriot and any other gun from this company would be a total waste of money IMO. Just save up and buy a good used handgun by a major quality producer. Skip the low end junk guns by all means.
    When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

The only Cobra firearms I've seen were the two Derringers a friend of mine bought. Bought first one, wouldn't work out of the box. Returned to dealer who gave him another one which worked for about 10 rounds and quit working. Based on my observation of them, the term "wall-hanger" comes to mind as I'd never count on them to actually fire.

Bersas or Kel-Tecs can be purchased for just a few dollars more and while not pretty, have a decent track record for reliability but I think his desire of two for 500 or less is going to be next to impossible unless he can find them used.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

If they'd prefer autos over revolvers, I'd also recommend the Bersa or Keltec's (though as Hoss mentioned, they will run a little more then $500 for 2, even used these days)

He/they might also consider looking for a couple of good condition surplus Makarov's (9X18)
    J&G mentioned above has some CZ-82's listed at a pretty good price. 9mm Mak ammo is still fairly easy to find at the moment (at least in my neck of the woods).
    When Guns Are Outlawed, Only Outlaws will have guns

Just remember, When seconds count help is mere minutes away

Also remember, When you go to trial by jury you are putting yourself into the hands of 12 people who weren't smart enough to get out of jury duty.

Agree with Rotoflyr above. His best bet is to get two very good / like new CZ-82's in 9x18 Makarov from CDNN.
    I always aim for the right eye...and I never miss - Goldeneye

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links